User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bsod
(committed) Sun 05-Jul-15 18:31:58
Print Post

Enabling ping on the Sagemcom router

[link to this post]

I've recently had fibre installed from Plusnet, can't fault the speed as it is at 38mbps/19mbps upload. However, I can't seem to be able to find an option to enable ping from the internet in the router?
Does anyone know where I can find this option?
Ta.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Jul-15 18:54:47
Print Post

Re: Enabling ping on the Sagemcom router

[re: bsod] [link to this post]

It looks as though you have to mess around a bit. The first answer to do with it I see of is this post, answered during the following ones.

Quite what you need to do to get to that stage I don't know. Page 1 starts with the config file being encrypted but it is possible to upload un/decrypted ones. I gave up at Page 2 as I don't have one. It's easy on the old TG582N, in the Firewall GUI.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bsod
(committed) Sun 05-Jul-15 19:45:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Haha if only they sent out the TG582N routers, I take it they've been sending out the Sagemcom ones for months?

The guide on that webpage is somewhat beyond my reach, it speaks of soldering stuff, compling on linux etc, can't believe that Plusnet have cripped the router so badly so as to make something so simple rather difficult!

If anyone has a step by step guide that doesn't involve compiling or soldering, i'd be most grateful...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ChrisAO
(newbie) Mon 06-Jul-15 13:09:49
Print Post

[re: bsod] [link to this post]

Ha, no soldering required. Roberto shouldn't have given up on page 2, he missed this important post about downloading the text mode config wink
Save a permanent copy of your config before messing about, just in case you get it wrong, so you can always go back to where you started.

The important change is mentioned here noting the following 2 replies.

However, I'm not sure what vulnerabilities that might open up as I'm not sure If, How or Where it's restricted to type 8.
Some further reading (googling maybe) is required

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.

Edited by ChrisAO (Mon 06-Jul-15 13:11:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Jul-15 13:15:00
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

I had no reason to keep reading, as I have a TG582N smile. I found the thread and that near the end the ping question had been solved so pointed the OP to it, that's all.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bsod
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-15 17:44:13
Print Post

Sorry for the uber late reply, but i've not had much free time to spend tinkering...a belated thanks to all of you on this thread that have helped.

Have followed the steps and yes the ping is now enabled smile
Although why it needs such esoteric methods to do so is beyond me, a simple tick/untick box on the web admin of the router would have sufficed. .

I also note from that thread that http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1376... has popped up with some more step by step info.

The guest/second wifi thing sounds interesting...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 20:14:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by ChrisAO:
Ha, no soldering required. Roberto shouldn't have given up on page 2, he missed this important post about downloading the text mode config wink
Save a permanent copy of your config before messing about, just in case you get it wrong, so you can always go back to where you started.

The important change is mentioned here noting the following 2 replies.

However, I'm not sure what vulnerabilities that might open up as I'm not sure If, How or Where it's restricted to type 8.
Some further reading (googling maybe) is required
My router a billion 7800 responds to ICMP requests (Pings) by ticking a box in the GUI ,why the pn supplied POS router/ adsl modems can't have the same, Maybe it's done purposely because they either are very dumb (as pinging an eu's public ip address is used as a monitoring tool ) or they just wanted to prevent as many as posible from seeing how poor the quality of some Eu's connections actually are to save on costs of supporting them, (except pn's support has all but disappeared in recent months)

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 23-Aug-15 20:15:28)

Standard User ChrisAO
(learned) Sun 23-Aug-15 20:18:53
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Most of us suspect the latter, but one excuse given was that BT think it's a security risk frown
Get plenty of Bull these days.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 20:44:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by ChrisAO:
Most of us suspect the latter, but one excuse given was that BT think it's a security risk frown
Get plenty of Bull these days.
that's even more stupid, oh is that the same bt that think packet loss is acceptable, ?
I think most people who use the internet use a security suite or software firewall , that as well as their router having a firewall built in , I do sometimes really wonder about BT or some of the clowns it employs

But to be cynical why would some hacker want to hack your pc ect? just because a device responds to icmp requests doesn't mean it will be attacked in any way ,
Yours and my devices are needles in a very big haystack for some random attacker, even then if all your ports are forwarded properly (not in dmz insecure mode) the port sniffers shouldn't find anything useful , if you are paranoid don't store bank details or other personal info on your pc, or if you do encrypt/hide it well

Shields up gives me a stealth result apart from of course icmp shields up

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 23-Aug-15 20:57:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Aug-15 21:08:26
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Dammit! smile

Yes, you're right about the soldering, as I had found the alternative in the thread and I think even referred to it on these forums a few days ago. But I'd completely forgotten frown.

As for the Sagecom router not easily being set to respond to pings, that's just [censored](silly censor for a very mild expletive commonly associated with the following word)-mindedness or sheer ignorance of what it's for by someone (probably very senior) in Plusnet. Not unusual these days and one of the reasons I left.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to