User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:29:21
Print Post

Peak versus off-peak speeds

[link to this post]

Interesting, a look at speed test data for the big six providers

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/07/what-differen...

Probably not what some of you were expecting for PlusNet either.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:36:29
Print Post

Re: Peak versus off-peak speeds

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

any idea why almost all providers have a speed drop in the last 3 months or so
Standard User alext05
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:36:31
Print Post

Someone is having a larf! Or taking a wee-wee.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:38:25
Print Post

a question - since I can't remember - are those single thread tests or multiple thread tests as Plusnet problems are on single thread tets
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:46:44
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Multi thread - thought we had seen enough people moaning about the multiple thread.

Remember single thread might just be an effect of the traffic management i.e. unknown protocol on an odd port.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:51:14
Print Post

From the posts on the Plusnet Forums - it appears that they were all complaining about the rotten single thread results
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:51:20
Print Post

Could blame

1. G.INP confusion
2. Increased cross talk
3. Not all providers have the same degree of dip and one or two have gone up - just not those
4. Did look at ratio of PC to phone to tablet and pretty stable for a few months
5. The Which? campaign which did boost visitors may have got people on slower lines to test
6. People downgrading from FTTC to ADSL2+ to save a pound or two
7. People downgrading from up to 76 to up to 38 Mbps
8. Its not us, did check

My feeling from looking at all the data is its a slight shift in our demographic, i.e. more ADSL2+ users versus fibre combined with some dips in speed, i.e. moans are not confined to just one provider.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:02:22
Print Post

Single Thread Test

Ok it was on the todo list already, so here is a beta for a version of the new test that uses just a single thread

http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/?site=omega...

Looks the same as the new web version, but slightly different text on start page, and if you share the graph at the end you can spot difference as it shows a tbbx1 result. The page that does the graph drawing will need some tweaking in the future, but as hinted elsewhere waiting on some other stuff.

These tests are logged under a specific version, hence the random string, so if the consensus is that this does not work then we can exclude from the monthly results. If it does work then after a decent period of data collection will look at how adding a single thread run before or after a multiple thread run.

My own connection non-PlusNet has been showing single thread problems today, so a good day test/code this version. Blames Wimbledon and people streaming while at their office desk.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-15 16:33:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
it appears that they were all complaining about the rotten single thread results

Mine's been pretty rotten p.m. recently never getting past the single threaded part. Can't get much worse than a big fat zero - can't go backwards can it 8^)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 07-Jul-15 22:09:51
Print Post

clarify those are 6x thread stats or single threaded?

I trust the source that revealed circa 10% of plusnet's customer base is affected by current BTw issues.

All i can say here is for me personally plusnet's performance has significantly regressed during 2015, stats printed to try and point out I am alone in this experience doesnt help the matter.

Plusnet even confirmed themselves they had congested endpoints a couple of months back, as I understand that issue got fixed tho.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to