User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 13:52:53
Print Post

A rash of leavers

[link to this post]

Community forum.

I wonder how many Plusnet non-posters have gone for migrations since the new system was introduced?

As most of those will still be with Plusnet for another few days, is it possible one contributory factor to the removal of the performance graphs - in particular the gateway one - is that a sudden drop from the stable 858k currently connected figure was about to show?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 11-Jul-15 10:04:37
Print Post

Re: A rash of leavers

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am one of these, guinea pigs on the migration system. :/

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RB291
(regular) Thu 16-Jul-15 00:43:20
Print Post

I don't like the rental/calling price hike but don't have any real complaint about the performance of my 80/20 connection.

I just took a 2 year retention deal which helped enough with the price to not have any reason to leave.

I can believe the performance graph were commercially sensitive - does any other ISP publish something similar?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 16-Jul-15 01:27:59
Print Post

[re: RB291] [link to this post]

The only thing at all commercially sensitive was the real-time reporting of the number of customers connected, and even that's debatable.

All the biggies have to publish their customer numbers quarterly for their shareholder information. Plusnet's are subsumed into BT Consumer's and not separately reported.

The percentage of customers connected, and the capacity usage graph on a rolling 24-hour basis will be almost identical for all the biggies as well.

Months ago Plusnet stopped sending out emails to any customer who requested them details of capacity increases. Examples:-
Service: Broadband
Posted: Mon, Jun 02 2014 at 16:38:25
Subject: Increase in 20CN and 21CN Broadband Capacity - June

We will shortly be increasing the capacity of our IPSC (20CN) broadband host links by a further 540Mbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to customers provisioned on an 'Up to 8Mbps' 20CN product.

In addition to this we will also be increasing the capacity of our WBC (21CN) broadband host links by a further 15.03Gbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to the majority of customers on our 21CN and Fibre services.

We're activating this extra capacity in line with the current budget, customers' usage habits and our projected growth in customer numbers.
Service: Broadband
Posted: Tue, Jul 01 2014 at 11:15:04
Subject: Increase in 21CN Broadband Capacity - July

We will shortly be increasing the capacity of our WBC (21CN) broadband host links by a further 2.69Gbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to the majority of customers on our 21CN and Fibre services.

We're activating this extra capacity in line with the current budget, customers' usage habits and our projected growth in customer numbers.
Now that I would regard as commercially sensitive!

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57840/12740kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 16-Jul-15 07:54:44
Print Post

Much the same as I was thinking and -

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Months ago Plusnet stopped sending out emails to any customer who requested them details of capacity increases. {snip} Now that I would regard as commercially sensitive!

Certainly sensitive if the increases in capacity have slowed down to the extent that there's now a reduction in real terms as the numbers of subscribers keeps rising.

p.s. I take the steady increase in packet loss that I see each day from around 2pm until around midnight as an indicator.

Edited by longedge (Thu 16-Jul-15 07:58:07)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 16-Jul-15 11:02:38
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

oddly enough remember that slow bbc news website performance I complained about?

gone since I migrated. hmmm.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 16-Jul-15 12:01:59
Print Post

Perhaps with market saturation reaching its peak, capacity fluctuations will be seen as success or failure, and that's something that Plusnet don't want to share in real-time, as there's every chance that the news will be bad.

In the past, the user base was inclined to rise simply on BB penetration. Maybe that's about to change.
Standard User Philce
(committed) Fri 17-Jul-15 12:12:34
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
oddly enough remember that slow bbc news website performance I complained about?

gone since I migrated. hmmm.

Where did you go? Having niggly problems with PN and now at the end of contract.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Jul-15 12:51:00
Print Post

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

sky

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Philce
(committed) Fri 17-Jul-15 13:49:17
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]