User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 14:57:07
Print Post

Evening congestion - you won't like this

[link to this post]

Various people moaned when I did the httpx6 blog and said tbbx1 analysis was on the way.

Just ran it for the first time, a bug for pre 2013 data that I need to fix (we changed speed test a lot then hence I know what needs doing there) and while the analysis behaves as one would expect for Virgin Media, PlusNet has the oddity where evening speeds are showing as higher than daytime for single thread tests.

BT, Sky and TalkTalk wibble wobble a bit as I would expect, so not a maths problem.

Dare one suggest that the figure someone bandied around that congestion was affecting 1 in 10 means that unless you plot JUST those affected the majority are not affected mask it out and traffic management is helping to keep things looking good for most.

Will share more when I've fixed my bugs and looked more at data volumes and some more checks but so far looks like the HTTPx6 blog will see a repetition.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 21-Jul-15 15:51:04
Print Post

Re: Evening congestion - you won't like this

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

well its not I dont like it, I actually like that you ran the analysis.

Traffic management plusnet side probably has zero impact on a BT wholesale issue.

Also in regards to my own tbb tests, I generally made the effort to hop gateways when I was on a bad one, meaning most of my tests had good results.

Make no mistake tho there is a definite pattern of severe performance dropoff on plusnet for multiple users, so far of all the ones who have declared a move away from plusnet their problems were resolved by changing isp's.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User 961a
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 16:24:36
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Not trying to be a clever dick but if we all decide we and the rest of the family are going to stream, download and game in high def via our broadband connection then something has to give somewhere

I used to manage quite nicely on an allowance of 5Gb per month. I've been taught by others that downloading catch up stuff is convenient (and it is) and Netflix let me download a whole series of House of Cards in High Def for £6.99. If I do it and the rest of the road does it you can't wonder the broadband system is going to reach breaking point and, in some areas, some ISPs it's doing so already

I'm not sure what system Plusnet uses to speed up its connections in the evenings. Either it defies logic or someone, somewhere, must be getting a mighty slow service that isn't being recorded in the figures

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 16:29:39
Print Post

That's the bit that is making me go back over the figures, will be clearer once I share the blog with the tbbx1 stuff.

Had looked at this as a comparison very quickly ages ago and found httpx6 was a reasonable model for widespread problems. Probably will lose any friends at Virgin Media once its published though.

The way issues like this affect some and not others highlights how while we could stuff software into a hardware box and ship them out if you don't have any in bad areas you won't see anything, and the volume of testing will often be noticeable by a provider who might....

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 21-Jul-15 17:18:48
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

and bandwidth usage will only continue to grow.

windows 10 allows full 1080p in both browser and windows app, windows 7 is 720p only via browser, lots of win7 users it seems are moving to win10.

likewise xbox360 was 720p only, and xbox one supports 1080p netflix.

however when netflix pricing plans end for legacy accounts, we may see people renewing on lower packages to keep the cost down which restricts the resolution.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User 961a
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 18:40:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
and bandwidth usage will only continue to grow.

however when netflix pricing plans end for legacy accounts, we may see people renewing on lower packages to keep the cost down which restricts the resolution.

Not quite sure about that. When my shiny new 4k ultra high def Sony arrived recently I gave serious thought to using the 4k option with Netflix. What's that going to do to my monthly download and will Plusnet cope?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:05:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
we may see people renewing on lower packages to keep the cost down which restricts the resolution.

I think more people will cancel sky and keep Netflix and Amazon streaming for the flexibility.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 product - Installed 2 June 14 - April Sync 57 / 11 with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Speedtest
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 21-Jul-15 20:57:29
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 961a:
When my shiny new 4k ultra high def Sony arrived recently I gave serious thought to using the 4k option with Netflix.

So did I but it requires a bit of 'jiggery pokery' if you are in the UK if I understand the situation correctly. I couldn't be bothered and settled for HD which I find very acceptable. I used to wonder how on earth people managed to exceed the 40GB limit that I was on before changing to unlimited but now I understand 8^)
p.s. If congestion causes packet loss then every late afternoon and evening I see the results in my BQM

Edited by longedge (Tue 21-Jul-15 21:00:39)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jul-15 13:14:41
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

When you see high pings are you using the connection? It could just be your own usage causing it if streaming rather than congestion on the ISP.

But saying that your BQM doesn't appear to me to be that different at any point in the day.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 22-Jul-15 19:28:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
When you see high pings are you using the connection?

Not necessarily - a week or so ago I switched off every device on the network except for my iPhone and I switched wifi off on that. The latency spike showers continued throughout the night so if it's my problem it can only be my router. Day on day I see very little or no packet loss from midnight onwards and it starts again around midday and increases through the afternoon and evening. OK it's not a huge amount of red but until a couple of months ago I didn't see any at all.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to