User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Aug-15 22:57:56
Print Post

Re: Consider leaving plusnet

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Fortunately, Pete, no-one is forced to purchase it so it's all good.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 09:48:31
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alext05:
What is also annoying, when you find a good gateway Plusnet kicks you off it after a few days. It happened to me four or five times now. However, you seem to stay forever on a bad one. Coincidence? I don't think so. smile
I seem to stay on good gateways for months at a time though. That's why I'm curious why others don't. Is it because their connection is unstable? Or something at their exchange?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:03:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Regardless of the fact why it's different for different people, it is clear that Plusnet's architecture is a bit iffy since it's the only ISP in the land, it seems, where people talk about gateways.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:24:59
Print Post

What is also annoying, when you find a good gateway Plusnet kicks you off it after a few days. It happened to me four or five times now. However, you seem to stay forever on a bad one. Coincidence? I don't think so. smile

Yes, I have this issue too... It wasn't much of an issue but in the last 2 months it has been a constant issue, If I find a good gateway I will be kicked from it within 48 hours, in most cases it will be around 1-2am following the switch..

So now I just bounce around the PCL gateways and as we know most of them cause issues, though not all the time..

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 11:52:02
Print Post

Regardless of the fact why it's different for different people, it is clear that Plusnet's architecture is a bit iffy since it's the only ISP in the land, it seems, where people talk about gateways.

I sometimes wonder about that myself. Since all the other large xDSL ISPs have scrapped traffic management I wonder if the Plusnet gateways are there for traffic management purposes, and they sometimes have trouble coping with demand, or are just plain faulty.

Oliver.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:22:48
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

I sometimes wonder about that myself. Since all the other large xDSL ISPs have scrapped traffic management I wonder if the Plusnet gateways are there for traffic management purposes, and they sometimes have trouble coping with demand, or are just plain faulty.

The others all have 'gateways'. The traffic management kit sits in between the gateways and the BT network.

No ISP of any size can terminate all customers on a single piece of kit, or would want to.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:35:08
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thanks. So why Plusnet's gateways are causing all those well documented issues to many Plusnet customers and customers of other ISPs not complaining about their gateways at all, it seems?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 14:44:38
Print Post

First, no other ISP makes a song and dance about gateways, (and neither do Plusnet now), so nobody knows about them. But even in the days of BT Centrals there were description about the multiple 75kbps(?) kit sitting in front of them actually handling the lines and feeding a consolidated stream to the Central.

Second, because we do know about them we were always talking about it. I expect that was the (or at least one of ) trigger(s) for Andrew producing the x 1 and x6 tests on the tbb speedtester.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 15:08:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But "gateway hopping" has never been a feature on other ISPs. In cases of congestion, "hopping" on other ISPs makes no difference. Perhaps Plusnet gateways are run in such a way that they sometimes hit capacity, whereas other ISPs keep more headroom on the gateways?

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 16:22:34
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
But "gateway hopping" has never been a feature on other ISPs. In cases of congestion, "hopping" on other ISPs makes no difference. Perhaps Plusnet gateways are run in such a way that they sometimes hit capacity, whereas other ISPs keep more headroom on the gateways?

I remember a long time ago on BTopenworld ADSL you actually had a gateway in your PPP login ID. e.g. fred@hg10.btclick.com" where the hg10 was "home gateway 10".

Maybe the automatic load balancer that Plusnet are using isn't up to the job.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to