User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 07-Aug-15 00:13:32
Print Post

Line fault - troubleshooting ideas welcome...

[link to this post]

I'd be grateful for some advice/whether I should report this to Plusnet as a fault.

My telephone line has had ADSL since 1999 - originally a engineer installed 512K line, later a 2MB line and with ADSL2+ - it constantly achieved between 5.5MB and 6MB (with a number of ISPs, both BTW and LLU) which is also in line with the speeds estimated on the Wholesale dsl checker

Its connected to a samknows box and the latest email they have sent me, shows that the speed fell to around 2MB just after the the start of July. I've been away so didn't notice nor did my family members.

I've just tried rebooting the modem in case it was a one off sync issue but still get this from the modem stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:09:52
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,043 / 2,043
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.60 / 29.10
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.8 / 74.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.4 / 2.9

No changes have been made to the wiring and the modem already runs from the test BT master socket via a filter.

Can anyone recommend any troubleshooting ideas for me to try?

Ordinarily, I would report this to Plusnet - but due to the price rises I am in the process of switching ISP and moving to FTTC on 17/18 August - so not sure if this should be my first step.. but if a fault is on the line don't want it to go unfixed/affect the fibre connection in due course.

Welcome any ideas/suggestions/advice on what my next steps should be.

Edit: Am currently using the default Plusnet Technicolor TG582n and noticed the Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.8 / 74.5! - if accurate this has changed- it was around 43(had to be to get the original BT ADSL engineer install!)

Thanks
Sunil
PS:let me know if there is a better board to post on.

Edited by gt94sss2 (Fri 07-Aug-15 00:16:21)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Aug-15 00:55:34
Print Post

Re: Line fault - troubleshooting ideas welcome...

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
PS:let me know if there is a better board to post on.

Kitz is often able to provide pretty decent help - http://forum.kitz.co.uk/ smile
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Aug-15 08:15:51
Print Post

I can't see how you ever got the speeds you did if that attenuation is correct. Something must have changed!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Aug-15 08:49:18
Print Post

Attenuation is killing it. Move to fttc means less copper and a chance it will resolve itself

If engineer install and fault is on drop side it should be resolvable

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 07-Aug-15 09:08:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Attenuation is killing it. Move to fttc means less copper and a chance it will resolve itself

If engineer install and fault is on drop side it should be resolvable

A self install sadly - if I 'd noticed earlier would have chosen differently! - but can hear some faint noise on the Quiet line test so have reported it to Plusnet who are getting Openreach to come out on Monday..
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Aug-15 09:37:00
Print Post

You could always try another router (if one is available smile) without the SK box connected and then check the connection line stats.

plusnet user
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 07-Aug-15 17:50:50
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
You could always try another router (if one is available smile) without the SK box connected and then check the connection line stats.

I managed to dig out my trusty old DG834G which I stopped using years ago - I think when I moved to Be about 10 years ago - and it produced the following:

DownStream Connection Speed 7060 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 967 kbps
Line Attenuation 43 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 3 db 6 db

The stats now look right and while I don't monitor them can't remember the last time it was over 7MB!

However, trying the BT Wholesale speedtest I am still downloading at around 1.5MB (the old sync speed)

Would the reason can't download faster now be due to Plusnet's own systems?

Also, I can hear a noise on my line with 17070 which I guess is a 'good thing' given an Openreach engineer is booked for Monday! (chargeable if no fault etc. or if I cancel the appointment)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Aug-15 18:08:12
Print Post

Looks like the DLM loves you again. Yes, the Plusnet CLS will take a while to catch up with the IP Profile. I don't suppose you took stats immediately before swapping to the Netgear?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Fri 07-Aug-15 18:13:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There was a small gap before putting in the netgear as I struggled to remember how to login/configure it!

However, the stats on the old router would have been as my first post i.e. a 2,043kbs download etc.

Can Plusnet reset their DLM system (CLS?) manually?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Aug-15 18:41:25
Print Post

It should go up by the morning automatically. It updates three of four times a day I think.

In case you don't know how to check it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 07-Aug-15 18:44:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to