User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kbturner
(member) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:00:46
Print Post

Help with an Openreach MK2 telephone socket please

[link to this post]

I had a fault yesterday on my PlusNet landline (no dial tone), so I called their dreaded support line. When I eventually got through, I was asked to remove the faceplate and plug the telephone cable into the test socket. There was still no dial tone, although some hours later it was reinstated.

However, in the course of removing the faceplate, one of the wires attached to the rear of the faceplate has become detached from its terminal. I am unable to re-attach this wire; I believe it requires a special tool used by an Openreach engineer. I explained this to PN support, and was advised that an Openreach engineer callout could cost me £50.

If I can get answers to the two following questions I reckon I can fix it myself:
1. I gather I need a "punchdown tool", but they seem to come in two flavours, namely 110 and Krohn. Which one do I need? Will this one do the trick? http://www.solwise.co.uk/telesun_krohn-tools.htm
2. The wire which became detached is plain blue in colour, but I'm not sure which numbered terminal it should go to (no. 5 is already in use, the other two are numbered 3 and 2) Can anybody advise?.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:03:15
Print Post

Re: Help with an Openreach MK2 telephone socket please

[re: kbturner] [link to this post]

It is Krohn and the 55p one should be fine for a single connection.

The wire will be to terminal 2 (only terminals 2 and 5 are used in normal domestic wiring these days).
Standard User kbturner
(member) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:06:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks ian72 for such a prompt reply!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:27:51
Print Post

On a lateral thought - do you actually use the extension? If you don't use the extension that this cable connects to you could remove the other wire and just not have the extension at all.
Standard User kbturner
(member) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:31:25
Print Post

Oh yes, the extension links to a base station, which itself has three further extensions.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:34:46
Print Post

Fair enough. At a pinch the cables can be pushed in with a screwdriver but it does risk damaging the wire and/or socket - the proper tool is safest.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 11-Aug-15 14:51:24
Print Post

You should find a local Maplin or B & Q will have them as well, but a few pence dearer. (No P & P though). Don't pay £9 or anything daft for a heavy duty one.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User kbturner
(member) Tue 11-Aug-15 15:45:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You should find a local Maplin or B & Q will have them as well, but a few pence dearer. (No P & P though). Don't pay £9 or anything daft for a heavy duty one.
I've ordered from Solwise, £1.97 including P & P, but thanks for the advice anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Aug-15 16:30:42
Print Post

At a pinch yes, but NEVER push the screw driver between the jaws of the connector as that will spread it and you never get a decent connection after that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Aug-15 16:41:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed. Not something I would normally recommend but have done it a few times myself in the past (although these days I have a proper krohn tool that I bought for putting in some Ethernet cabling).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to