User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Aug-15 22:50:34
Print Post

Plusnet capacity to Apple CDN poor ?

[link to this post]

Various apple devices had updates released tonight. Upon updating I discovered that via Plusnet over AC wifi the speed was incredibly slow, taking a good 5 minutes to download a 50mb app update. If I VPN to a friend's router who has a BT Infinity connection, the problem goes away, and the download runs as fast as the uplink of the VPN.

What have plusnet broken now?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Thu 13-Aug-15 23:49:05
Print Post

Re: Plusnet capacity to Apple CDN poor ?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I've turned my macbook on for the first time in a few days and the update is crawling along and reports about 50% done and 2hours left frown

Edit: Doesn't appear to be much better if I use my Pulse8 line either so it's possible it's not actually Plusnet that's the problem but rather Apple haven't allocated enough bandwidth to handle the number of users trying to update

Edited by dragon2611 (Thu 13-Aug-15 23:55:18)

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Fri 14-Aug-15 08:04:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I can confirm the OS X update downloaded at 100% full speed on a BT retail connection yesterday evening (2.12 GB under 4 mins)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Aug-15 08:13:03
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Mine too (on BT). Came down surprisingly quickly although it was only 800MB. Also installed Office 2016 for Mac last night which downloaded fast as well. But, not sure I like the ribbon bar on the Mac version...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Aug-15 08:49:29
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Similarly, I often do the MS Solitaire Daily Challenge. For my sins I also log in to the Solitaire.

That login via Plusnet typically took 10-20 seconds, as did the next step of getting to the Daily Challenge page.

Yesterday was my first on AAISP. Two to three seconds for each step.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57584/13846kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 14-Aug-15 12:12:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

all is good on aaisp ?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Aug-15 12:16:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

So far smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 14-Aug-15 14:44:14
Print Post

which is interesting as you still on BT wholesale, and plusnet say BT wholesale is the cause of issues.

Something not adding up, it seems the best thing for people to do is leave plusnet if they value reliable good performance. smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Aug-15 14:54:25
Print Post

In general terms is the BB connection noticeably any better ..... so far?

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 14-Aug-15 15:11:08
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Most pages seem to load more snappily. Particularly when loading the MS Solitaire stuff, where I do have it logging in automatically. That took 20+ seconds and now takes under 10, then the next step to the Daily Challenges took possibly 10 seconds and now takes 2-3.

Thinkbroadband and BT Wholesale speedtests effectively the same top speed as before. Not the 2-3Mbps difference claimed by Plusnet detractors. I intend to look further into that. I'm wondering if it is to do with (a) obviously non-IP Profile ISPs and (b) BT Consumer possibly not using WBC at their end. Or in the latter case maybe just a WBC >> WBMC difference at the handover nodes.

Entanet WBC results would be useful info.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to