User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 17:13:20
Print Post

PN speedtests v AAISP

[link to this post]

I have done several speedtests, both thinkbroadband and BT Wholesale, since my migration.

I did not re-sync for some time before migrating, and only did so today - gaining a whole 386kbps tongue.

I think I can now say with confidence that with the common sync there is no discernable difference between the two ISPs on the x6 test and the overall speeds. Similarly with the BTW test.

The only difference is the x1 test when on a bad link, (I think that's a better word to use than gateway, as we know different users on the same gateway can have wildly different experiences). A few AAISP x1 results have been questionable but not violent like the poor Plusnet ones.

I've also run this test on my new sync of 57970kbps, IP Profile 56.05. BT Wholesale giving 54.38Mbps. Again, very similar to historic Plusnet tbb results. There certainly is not the frequently chunnered about loss of 2-3Mbps due to the Plusnet CLS and TM systems.

I can also say that on the other hand browsing performance is noticeably snappier on AAISP, and the initial email download when I start up in the morning is much quicker. The bulk of that being eight forum daily archives so a time difference is easy to spot.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 16-Aug-15 17:18:26)

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 18:12:28
Print Post

Re: PN speedtests v AAISP

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As AAISP also use the BT profile in their system (or did) perhaps that is a factor
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 18:33:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I have done several speedtests, both thinkbroadband and BT Wholesale, since my migration.

I did not re-sync for some time before migrating, and only did so today - gaining a whole 386kbps tongue.

I think I can now say with confidence that with the common sync there is no discernable difference between the two ISPs on the x6 test and the overall speeds. Similarly with the BTW test.

The only difference is the x1 test when on a bad link, (I think that's a better word to use than gateway, as we know different users on the same gateway can have wildly different experiences). A few AAISP x1 results have been questionable but not violent like the poor Plusnet ones.

I've also run this test on my new sync of 57970kbps, IP Profile 56.05. BT Wholesale giving 54.38Mbps. Again, very similar to historic Plusnet tbb results. There certainly is not the frequently chunnered about loss of 2-3Mbps due to the Plusnet CLS and TM systems.

I can also say that on the other hand browsing performance is noticeably snappier on AAISP, and the initial email download when I start up in the morning is much quicker. The bulk of that being eight forum daily archives so a time difference is easy to spot.
Yet i have seen very different results, with same sync rates and BT ip profile i now get 2mbps more throughput than when i did when with plusnet (Plusnets IP profile set 200kbps below BTW IP profile) But there again you don't sync at the full rates do you, so maybe, just maybe the amount of throughput loss increases as the sync rate increases ? either that or i and others got shafted from day 1
And i don't have the Sunday /Monday slowdowns as it is/was their busiest time of the week, so they have a cop out excuse

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 16-Aug-15 19:09:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:16:47
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

You mean a (near?) copy? I did wonder, and I did see the other day a weird number somewhere that might have been it but the value didn't make sense.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:23:25
Print Post

You mean a (near?) copy? I did wonder, and I did see the other day a weird number somewhere that might have been it but the value didn't make sense.

I assume you're with BTw "tail" rather than TTB "tail" on your AAISP connection ?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:25:27
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I haven't a clue what that post is all about, and as far as I know you still won't say who this wonder-ISP of yours is so it's utterly useless infromation. You also seemto be introducing further wild allegations about Plusnet, that I don't remember even you coming jp with before.

Have you got a problem? Or just having a bad hair day.

But, there is something I can tell you that you obviously don't know smile.

That is:-
I am fairly familiar with the contents of my own fairly lengthy opening post, and nearly everybody reading yours also will have. There is a Reply button you could have used that doesn't copy the whole damn thing into your reply frown.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:28:36
Print Post

That's is correct. I always asked PN in the past of why is throughput speed is 2.5Mbps less than other isp's and they say it make no difference.

When I used to be ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps) before with icuk was far better throughput than PN.

Before with icuk:

ICUK IP Profile: n/a
BT IP Profile: 17.15Mb
icuk throughput: 16.50Mb
Downstream SNR 2.7dB

Migrate to PN:

PN IP Profile: 16.42Mb
BT IP IP Profile: 16.42Mb
PN throughput: 14.30Mb
Downstream SNR 3.3dB

Edited by adslmax (Sun 16-Aug-15 19:30:48)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:34:24
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

I think if I migrate FTTC from PN to Zen or ICUK then I bet the throughput speed will be lots higher than PN.

PN IP: 77.3Mb
BT IP: 77.35Mb
Throughput: 73-74Mb

Zen or ICUK IP: n/a
BT IP 77.35Mb
Throughput: 75-76Mb
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:38:33
Print Post

There certainly is not the frequently chunnered about loss of 2-3Mbps due to the Plusnet CLS and TM systems.
Which would appear to be in some way you diss-ing others expiences, was this your intention?
It matters not who the isp is that i or others are with,and isn't no great secrect anyway The points here are Plusnets implementation of a secondry IP profile and their DPI traffic shaping /prioritisation as they and any devout plusnet fans will like to call it, are in part both responsible for decreased and degraded throughout speeds at peak time, and at all other times And even where the underlying cause for peak time slow downs is within the realms of BTW it's the ISP who are BTW's customer So it's their resonsiblity to give BTW a kick and keep kicking them harder if need be until they get a satisfacttory resolution , not do nothing about it (plusnet)

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 16-Aug-15 19:44:50)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-15 19:47:13
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

You are aware that AAISP also implement their own secondary IP Profile?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to