User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 15:07:40
Print Post

PN IP Profile and BT IP Profile

[link to this post]

Does anyone noticed that PN are now no longer matched BT IP Profile.

I did noticed it on my line, my parents line and asked my mate checked his line as well as all of us are the same match! Has Plusnet changed the IP Profile Policy by lower than BT IP and why is this?

Before:

BT IP: 77.35Mb Sync 79999k
PN IP: 77.3Mb

Now:

BT IP: 77.35Mb Sync 79999k
PN IP: 77.2Mb (less than BT IP)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 20-Aug-15 17:35:18
Print Post

Re: PN IP Profile and BT IP Profile

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

That's an improvement smile

On FTTC it has always been 0.2Mbps below the IP Profile.

Though???? !!!

The IP Profile for 79999 sync is normally 77.4Mbps, so maybe that has been lowered.

I wonder if all FTTC IP Profiles have dropped by 0.5Mbps? That would reduce BTW Cloud backhaul usage considerably.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 19:00:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's an improvement smile

On FTTC it has always been 0.2Mbps below the IP Profile.

Though???? !!!

The IP Profile for 79999 sync is normally 77.4Mbps, so maybe that has been lowered.

I wonder if all FTTC IP Profiles have dropped by 0.5Mbps? That would reduce BTW Cloud backhaul usage considerably.
For some unexplained reason the BTW IP profile of 77.35 is the maximum if the connection has G.inp enabled , As opposed to the max IP profile if on Fast-path of 77.44 or 77.42 depending on modem chip set brand, Before G.inp was rolled out on Fast path With a sync at full rate,Huawei modem 77.42 ECI =77.44 as to why?

But yes i too had a lower than it should of been plusnet IP profile of :77.2Mb when BT's was 77.35
The support guy even said it should be set to 77.3 not 77.2 , Both restricted my throughput level , and this for some reason was still noticeable but not as much when they set their profile to 78,
It's not only BT saving bandwidth it's plusnet as well, so you get screwed twice if you are plusnet customer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 19:18:03
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Plusnet refuse to put IP Profile at 78Mb as they not allow to do this. They will do 77.2Mb to match BT IP as of 77.35Mb but surely it should be set at 77.35Mb (even on full sync rate 79999k)

Edited by adslmax (Thu 20-Aug-15 19:18:50)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 19:33:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Plusnet refuse to put IP Profile at 78Mb as they not allow to do this. They will do 77.2Mb to match BT IP as of 77.35Mb but surely it should be set at 77.35Mb (even on full sync rate 79999k)
Some of the support staff will refuse to set it to 78mb But they can do this and have in the past when i was with them done this at my request, shame they won't disable their traffic shaping , ring them back and ask a different support adviser hopefully you will get one who is familiar with manually setting profiles , and is clued up

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 20-Aug-15 19:48:10)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 20:48:33
Print Post

What is the point, for the sake of a few kbps? Also, it is likely to revert following the next disconnect/reconnect.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 65000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 21:49:29
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
What is the point, for the sake of a few kbps? Also, it is likely to revert following the next disconnect/reconnect.
it's not a few kbps though that's my point since i migrated away from plusnet my max downstream throughput is higher by some 2mbps or more with the PN IP set to 77.2 or even 77.3, why i don't know
My throughput with plusnet with ip profile set at those levels was 73mbps max when set at 78mbps it was 74.20 max on a good day at a quiet time of the day 4am
currently it is a almost consistent 74.75 to just over 75mbps, so BTW's IP profile coming into play
If on the BTOR GEA FTTC variant (No ip profile) i would be in theory like others be able to achieve the advertised 76mbps headline throughput speed and why should this be the case if you are synced at 80mbps

2 or 3 mbps on the face of it for one circuit may not sound like a lot, but it is in the grand scheme of things how many of plusnet customers subscribe and sync at the full 80/20 rate? multiply that number by the 2mbps and you have a lot of bandwidth saved
Go a step further and apply the same logic to all BTW based customers ,

I cant be the only cynical human being who has explored this surely

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 20-Aug-15 21:59:37)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Aug-15 23:14:51
Print Post

Let me put this way:

(with PN)
Sync 80.00Mb
BT IP 77.35Mb
PN IP 77.2Mb
Throughput 73.9Mb

(without PN)
Sync 80.00Mb
BT IP 77.35Mb
Other ISP IP 80.00Mb
Throughput 76.4Mb

So, you lose 2.5Mb with PN

When I first activated on FTTC with Plusnet last February 2014 (PN current line speed set at 80Mb) and I get throughput around 76Meg then couple of hours later PN current line speed set at 77.4Mb and I get throughput of 73.5Meg. So, I lost 2.5Meg cos of [censored] stupid PN profile.

Edited by adslmax (Thu 20-Aug-15 23:19:03)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Aug-15 14:55:11
Print Post

Could you explain, for everyday emails, browsing, gameplaying, Netflixing, etc, what issues does a 3% reduction in speed actually cause?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Aug-15 15:28:31
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Could you explain, for everyday emails, browsing, gameplaying, Netflixing, etc, what issues does a 3% reduction in speed actually cause?
I don't think that max was suggesting that the loss of 2-3mbps would have any effect on those things, but in all fairness it still doesn't make it right for plusnet to get away with in effect capping customers connections so they get less than they would with another ISP on the same BT OR product it's a way of throttling everyone via the back door
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to