User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lucifa42
(newbie) Fri 18-Sep-15 13:39:43
Print Post

Moving house into new build

[link to this post]

Hi, just want to check what I'm being told by Plusnet.

I've been with plusnet on fibre at my current property for 2 years, and am now moving house into a completely new property on a new development on 30th September.
I phoned plusnet to begin the house move on 10th Sept and was told that, subject to a survey that BT had to do, I had an engineer booked to provide the phone line and ADSL* on the 1st Oct.
Now phoning up to check what is happening, I'm told the engineer is still booked for that date but there won't be a 'simultaneous provide' as I was originally told but I would have to wait until the line was complete before the ADSL could be done which could take a few days or even longer.

Is this correct? I am now fully expecting to be without internet for ages despite being originally told I would get both on the same day.

*ADSL only at the moment until the line is in then can order fibre. I know other new properties on the development have fibre.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Sep-15 14:09:55
Print Post

Re: Moving house into new build

[re: Lucifa42] [link to this post]

Until the line has been installed no one can guarantee it will go via the same cabinets, or even if the development has FTTC as opposed to FTTP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lucifa42
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 10:57:45
Print Post

Well the 1st came and went with no engineer.

Openreach via plusnet said they needed "line test results" from the developer who of course didn't have a clue what that was but it did turn out that the developer hadn't finished some work for the line - there was no cable from the 'jointing chamber' further down the street to my house.

So I had a moan at them and that was done a few days later. There is now a black cable coming out of a duct at the front of my house and is just tied to my porch supports.
The developer claims they have now done everything they need to do and now it's up to the Openreach jointing and cabling team to finish the job.

Another phone call to Plusnet and they confirm the same and that Jointing team will 'assess' the work on the 12th, whether it means it will be done at the same time I don't know. I'm not holding out much hope.

Edited by Lucifa42 (Thu 08-Oct-15 11:02:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Oct-15 11:49:09
Print Post

Just as a point of interest, that may be irrelevant or turn out to be important, has the developer installed extension sockets in the house?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Lucifa42
(learned) Thu 08-Oct-15 12:33:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They have! There's a master socket in the hallway and an extension in the lounge.

That's another query: I've got the duct and the black cable coming out, and then above that is a grey cable coming out of the wall which I assume is the other end of my internal wiring but that cable disappears into the ground behind the gas meter that's also at the front of the property.
I assume the black cable and the grey cable are supposed to be connected up though when the jointing team does their bit...

Edited by Lucifa42 (Thu 08-Oct-15 12:42:55)

Standard User Lucifa42
(learned) Wed 21-Oct-15 15:23:16
Print Post

Well an update of sorts. 12th came and went with no work done - or if there was, it wasn't to connect that black cable up which is still sitting outside the house.
Plusnet have told me today that BT have agreed some work has to be done at the house (no really? I knew that 15 days ago...) and they'll give me an update on Monday when that will be. I won't hold my breath.

Complaint has gone into plusnet and though I know it's not their fault it's my only avenue of complaint. I've now got a dedicated person with a direct number I can call handling it, rather than having to keep waiting an hour in their phone queue to speak to someone.

Edited by Lucifa42 (Wed 21-Oct-15 15:27:05)

Standard User Lucifa42
(learned) Mon 26-Oct-15 15:13:46
Print Post

Well work outside house is complete! Was happy to see when I got home on 22/10 to see that the black cable is gone and there's a nice bit of grey ducting and NTE (?) outside the house in its place.

Also, I discovered that new build owners are about the only people who can contact Openreach directly by way of this link:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/newh...

Took a few days but I did get a response and confirmation of the dates that Plusnet are giving me so at least I know they are not telling me porkies.
  Print Thread

Jump to