User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-15 08:41:08
Print Post

Plusnet lying to customers when offering new contracts

[link to this post]

A warning to people being offered cheap contract renewals.

We have now seen a number of identical cases on the Community forums where people approaching the end of their current contracts are offered new contracts for £5 less per month if they take out a 18 month contract. They are told that there will be no change to their service. This is a lie. When the new contract kicks in they are downgraded to the 40/2 service meaning their upload speed is drastically reduced. After kicking up a fuss some of the users affected are getting put pack on to the 80/20 provision.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-15 09:19:18
Print Post

Re: Plusnet lying to customers when offering new contracts

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Um, I am not surprised.
I noticed some extras channels have been added to thier TV service, a couple that may interest me, but if I went for it, I would have to start my contract again, and I bet they would knock it down to 40/2, not that I get much more than two upload for some reason.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-15 09:26:36
Print Post

I said this would happen... naughty of Plusnet to do it the way they are but in there 'defence' tongue, there new staff don't seem to understand things like upload and are about as clued up as the standard customer who's been sold download speeds and doesn't know what they can do with them or what things like upload or ping are!

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 22-Sep-15 10:05:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 22-Sep-15 09:30:13
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I don't think that failing to train or even properly inform staff can count as a 'defence'. Especailly as it seems fairly common, not just an few isolated incidents.

--
Moved from PlusNet back to BT. Both gave decent service.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 22-Sep-15 09:31:10)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-15 10:04:42
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I don't think that failing to train or even properly inform staff can count as a 'defence'. Especailly as it seems fairly common, not just an few isolated incidents.

Yeah thats true... it was supposed to be a sarky remark but being in a rush forgot to fix it!

Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 22-Sep-15 11:18:28
Print Post

Same thing happened to me last week.
Got phoned and offered £5 off for a new up to 20 service as "I am not currently getting more than 20 at the moment anyway".
No mention of a reduction in upload or committing to a new 18 month contract.
I replied that as my contract was up next month I would wait until then and go month to month to see if Plusnets recent problems ironed out.
Sounds a bit devious to me.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-15 11:38:33
Print Post

[re: TheValk] [link to this post]

It appears that any of Plusnet customers approaching the end of their contract or no longer in contract and connected to service other than 40/2 or 80/20 will become the target of these calls to move people off the higher 'wholesale' cost products.

I remember when the 40/20 product from Plusnet first became available, everyone flocked to it... hell if I was able to get FTTC at the time, I would of too! but it was also said to be a stupid idea from Plusnet's point of view based on them paying for 80/20 and reselling it at similar prices to 40/10!

The confusing part of this move though is that even if someone is prepared too pay extra to get the required product they still have to prove there line worthy of such a move...

I also get the feeling this may be a move to push people toward BT Infinity 1 when you consider the offers on that service being pretty constant since these changes.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Tue 22-Sep-15 12:01:53
Print Post

Re: Plusnet lying to customers when offering new contracts *DELETED*

Post deleted by ZenUserJP
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Sep-15 13:43:42
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
It appears that any of Plusnet customers approaching the end of their contract or no longer in contract and connected to service other than 40/2 or 80/20 will become the target of these calls to move people off the higher 'wholesale' cost products.

I remember when the 40/20 product from Plusnet first became available, everyone flocked to it... hell if I was able to get FTTC at the time, I would of too! but it was also said to be a stupid idea from Plusnet's point of view based on them paying for 80/20 and reselling it at similar prices to 40/10!

The confusing part of this move though is that even if someone is prepared too pay extra to get the required product they still have to prove there line worthy of such a move...

I also get the feeling this may be a move to push people toward BT Infinity 1 when you consider the offers on that service being pretty constant since these changes.
This wasn't just a dumb move on the financial side, but it wasn't going to give optimum performance on those lines that weren't capable of much more than 40mbps where as the 40/10 product variant would have performed better,(less DLM intervention)
As for this 40/2 idea apart from copying the likes of Stalk talk i don't see the point why they didn't choose the 40/10 instead,
Also with the max upload being so low, it will be far to easy to saturate the connection, so another dumb move ,

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 22-Sep-15 13:46:19)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Nov-15 14:03:48
Print Post

They are still at it!

Today we've seen an example where a user was on 80/20 and re-contracted with line rental. He was told this would have no affect on his speeds but they changed him to Plusnet Fibre and capped his speed at 40/20 (this was before this account type was downgraded to 40/2).

They are now arguing the toss about giving him back 80/20 (which won't cost them anything as that is how the line is still provisioned).

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1454...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001

Edited by jelv (Fri 06-Nov-15 14:13:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to