User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Mon 28-Sep-15 19:55:13
Print Post

Latency

[link to this post]

I've just run a speedcheck on my FTTC line on Thinkbroadband.
My speed is 16.5/3.3 which is usual for my line but the result that worries me is this.

"Your Latency: 47 ms, Bufferbloat (Green Arrow B Red Arrow F ?)"

This mirrors a result I received today around 13:00.

What to do if anything?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Sep-15 20:36:24
Print Post

Re: Latency

[re: TheValk] [link to this post]

Click the ? to find out more about buffer bloat, for most people it is nothing to worry about.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 29-Sep-15 09:43:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Click the ? to find out more about buffer bloat, for most people it is nothing to worry about.

OK, got that thanks.
What about the latency which seems to be stuck at around 47ms for a few days, morning and evening?
Is that caused by the buffer bloat and is it likely to correct itself?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 15:08:22
Print Post

The latency is for a small TCP packet, so should be similar to a ping but not the same as TCP can be influenced by more things adversely.

Whether the latency is bad depends on where you live in relation to London and what you normally see in that test.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:36:24
Print Post

The latency is for a small TCP packet, so should be similar to a ping but not the same as TCP can be influenced by more things adversely.

Whether the latency is bad depends on where you live in relation to London and what you normally see in that test.

I'm in Norfolk so, say, 100 miles.

I'm trying to figure a reason for what seems to be a slow but definite deterioration in the quality of my fibre connection.
To that end I purchased a Billion 8800AXL a week or so ago in order to be able to see line stats hidden by the OR ECI modem.

I dug up an old thinkbroadband speedtest from 17/2/14 when I was with COMS as a refugee from ADSL24.
Download was 22.20 Mb/s, Upload 4.50Mb/s and ping 31ms.
I seem to remember it even improved a little when I moved to Plusnet a month later.

Now I am getting 17.40Mb/s, 3.40Mb/s and a ping of 47ms consistent across the day and evening together with this bloat thing.

Although this fits within the profile from BT as I am now out of contract with Plusnet I am trying to figure out if the slow down is due to congestion or other factors or whether a move to another ISP would help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:39:51
Print Post

On the ping best to check ICMP ping from a command line prompt e.g. ping www.thinkbroadband.com

As for whether things are slow because the FTTC has slowed you down, or its congestion first step is to find out what the connection speeds are for the VDSL modem.

Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 29-Sep-15 20:18:15
Print Post

On the ping best to check ICMP ping from a command line prompt e.g. ping www.thinkbroadband.com

As for whether things are slow because the FTTC has slowed you down, or its congestion first step is to find out what the connection speeds are for the VDSL modem.

The ping averages around 12ms.

Here are the stats.
I've got to admit a lot of it is beyond me at the moment.
Sorry about the poor formatting.

xDSL
Mode VDSL2
Traffic Type PTM
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 9.4 6.2
Attenuation (dB) 25.4 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 11.3 7.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 23278 3704
Rate (Kbps) 17998 3671
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 237 114
M (# of Mux Data Frames in an RS codeword) 1 1
T (# of Mux Data Frames in an OH sub-frame) 34 5
R (# of redundancy bytes in the RS codeword) 16 16
S (# of data symbols over which the RS code word spans) 0.4198 0.9934
L (# of bits transmitted in each data symbol) 4840 1055
D (interleaver depth) 1 1
I (interleaver block size in bytes) 254 131
N (RS codeword size) 254 131
Delay (msec) 0 0
INP (DMT symbol) 0.00 0.00
OH Frames 0 0
OH Frame Errors 1497 310
RS Words 1934132746 342746
RS Correctable Errors 4975 1238
RS Uncorrectable Errors 4444 0
HEC Errors 5598 0
OCD Errors 289 0
LCD Errors 289 0
Total Cells 2758954308 0
Data Cells 61276544 0
Bit Errors 0 0
Total ES 1293 280
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 23
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 21:39:11
Print Post

Your speed tests are in line with your connection speed which is

Download 17.9 Mbps
Upload 3.6 Mbps

There are some errors showing up which may explain why things don't feel so great either. Are you using a VDSL faceplate or microfilters?

Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 29-Sep-15 23:09:33
Print Post

Your speed tests are in line with your connection speed which is

Download 17.9 Mbps
Upload 3.6 Mbps

There are some errors showing up which may explain why things don't feel so great either. Are you using a VDSL faceplate or microfilters?

It's a VDSL faceplate fitted by the OR Engineer when fibre was first set up a couple of years ago.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 23:28:58
Print Post

If you access the test socket that is revealed if you remove the faceplate as shown over at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ what are the connection speeds like then (you can use a microfilmer to connect the modem).

Also just double check that your telephone extensions are not working once the faceplate has been removed.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to