User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-15 12:37:26
Print Post

New Plusnet phone & BB install - easy, and it works

[link to this post]

We decided at our church to install a phone & BB in the office as we are getting an administrator. Decided on Plusnet and ordered it. Last week the phone line was installed. Yesterday Broadband was activated so I went in and set it up this morning.

Unbelievably easy.

The phone line works, very clear; the BB works both wired and wireless - the wireless works 100+ft away as well. As I recollect getting around 8-9 Mbps download, c.1.2Mbps up, more than enough for our very simple needs.

All very happy with the whole process. Plusnet kept us informed and when there was a snag - Openreach caused - they got it sorted very quickly.

For us, as non-demanding users, can see why Plusnet is so popular. Good value for money.

We're happy.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Oct-15 13:07:30
Print Post

Re: New Plusnet phone & BB install - easy, and it works

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

That's what happens for most people. The issue when it goes wrong is how good the parties are at sorting the issue and that's when people start to complain.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 13:22:06
Print Post

Congratulations to Plusnet for getting a new customer connected without any issues.... shame the ratio of compliments to complaints is fairly low currently!

I hope you don't see any issues in future or decide to upgrade to fibre as this is where Plusnet seems to such right now!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-15 16:55:27
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
shame the ratio of compliments to complaints is fairly low currently!
I suggest that, as a nation, we love complaining, especially in public, but rarely praise in the same way, and if praise is given it's done rather begrudgingly.

Tony
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 17:35:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
]I suggest that, as a nation, we love complaining, especially in public, but rarely praise in the same way, and if praise is given it's done rather begrudgingly.
With some complaining far more often, and repeatedly, than others.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Oct-15 17:50:18
Print Post

Congratulations to Plusnet for getting a new customer connected without any issues.... shame the ratio of compliments to complaints is fairly low currently!

I hope you don't see any issues in future or decide to upgrade to fibre as this is where Plusnet seems to such right now!

Plusnet managed to connect me to fibre ok, sure it was a old connectionm that have not been used for over two years, no phone and broadband to change from, but it went without a hitch.

BTOR came, got phone working first, went to cabinet, set up fibre, came back, connected modem and then all I had to do was wait until PN switched it all on.

Even a couple of weeks after when someone mucked around with the cabinet and messed up my connection, it was sorted out pretty quick.

True I have had the slow connections now and again, but over the last few weeks things have been ok.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-15 18:34:04
Print Post

I'd add that although I'm not on Plusnet I'm also on good old ADSL and in 12+ years of BB, with the same ISP, the only BB problem I've ever had is when there was a fire in an underground tunnel in the centre of Manchester some years ago - it took out phones, etc. for a large part of Greater Manchester and the surrounding areas.

Other than that my BB just works. And I suspect (but have no statistics to back it up, other than talking to a lot of ordinary domestic users) that's true for a great number of people.

Tony
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 18:39:58
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I know my post above was fairly negative towards Plusnet but there is far too many complaints about issues of provisioning fibre orders and also the various issues that have been confirmed but not pinpointed or resolved within the links to and from Plusnet's network that affects some connections.

I'm glad that your order with Plusnet was another that went well but as above you have been affected by the issues with the network and will do again I'm sure, for now your on a good gateway with a good route.

Though currently the only thing I would watch out for with Plusnet is the slowly growing amount of tests that show congestion related issues and not just the single thread issues that have been reported since last Christmas,

and considering the amount of customers Plusnet has attracted to its network in the past 12 months and the amount of customers they have retained with various discounts, it is expected for there already close to limits network to have some bottlenecks emerging.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 18:50:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I'd add that although I'm not on Plusnet I'm also on good old ADSL

I had an ADSL connection with Plusnet until a couple of months ago and yes it was pretty solid to be fair, it ind't see any of the issues I speak of with performance which was weird but that seems to be the way of the fault at this time.
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Oct-15 19:12:55
Print Post

...but as above you have been affected by the issues with the network and will do again I'm sure, for now your on a good gateway with a good route.
Where did I say I had network issues - that could be attributed to an ISP?
Though currently the only thing I would watch out for with Plusnet is the slowly growing amount of tests that show congestion related issues and not just the single thread issues that have been reported since last Christmas,

and considering the amount of customers Plusnet has attracted to its network in the past 12 months and the amount of customers they have retained with various discounts, it is expected for there already close to limits network to have some bottlenecks emerging.
Given our usage will be minimal, 2 or 3 days a week perhaps, for the odd email, web browsing, etc. the speed could halve and it wouldn't make any difference to the usability of the BB.

I'll be interested to see how much we actually use, after the current round of Windows updates to the refurbished PCs we've been given is completed and other set-up tasks. I've used >800MB today alone on these tasks.

Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to