User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User goatty2
(member) Sun 18-Oct-15 11:20:51
Print Post

speed test says am on BT

[link to this post]

router rebooted this morn so did a speedtest on here and its says am on BT
went to speedtest.net and that says I am on BT and as far as i know I have not changed to BT
anyone else got this
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Oct-15 12:31:56
Print Post

Re: speed test says am on BT

[re: goatty2] [link to this post]

What does this site say for your IP address?

I suppose it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that Plusnet have almost run out of IPv4 addresses, with their recent huge growth while there weren't many more to be had. SOme also taking static IP addresses which reduces the pool.

BT I expect have a huge stock, and letting Plusnet have some should be no problem.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-15 12:40:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Given all the trouble Plusnet has/had regarding using IP addresses which were registered abroad, BT registered ones are probably quite acceptable!

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-15 12:52:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
SOme also taking static IP addresses which reduces the pool.

Not sure that can be true unless people on ADSL and FTTC genuinely turn off their routers for days at a time.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Oct-15 13:25:51
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Static IP addresses will have little effect in 800,000+ customers of which I think we can safely assume at least 600,000 and possibly over 700,000 have never heard of static IPs, but issuing a static IP address inevitably reduces the (dynamic) pool by one.

As far as I know PN don't have separate pools of static and dynamic. That would be silly.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User goatty2
(member) Sun 18-Oct-15 14:08:42
Print Post

its says i am on plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Oct-15 14:30:00
Print Post

[re: goatty2] [link to this post]

In which case BT have handed a block addresses over to Plusnet, and the RIPE database, (the UK master database), has been updated. That's what the checker I gave you reads in real time.

Speedtest.net and tbb must be holding copy databases and not updated yet.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Oct-15 14:31:01)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-15 14:58:04
Print Post

Static IP addresses will have little effect in 800,000+ customers of which I think we can safely assume at least 600,000 and possibly over 700,000 have never heard of static IPs, but issuing a static IP address inevitably reduces the (dynamic) pool by one.

I'm confused, you seem to think there is a benefit to having dynamic addressing? AAISP don't even do dynamic addressing as there is no point. Each boundary device (ie, home router) needs an address. It can only release that address if powered off an internet access not required. Given people leave their routers on 24x7 there is no saving in address space numbers by using dynamic addresses. You might as well assign a static to every customer.

Unlike dial up days you can't have one IP address shared with more than one customer. So dynamic addressing has run out of benefit.

As far as I know PN don't have separate pools of static and dynamic. That would be silly.

Agreed- I never suggested they did.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - Since 2 Jun 14 - Aug 15 Sync: 56575/9911 - G.INP download only frown
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Oct-15 15:01:34
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

OK. Plusnet simply ran out of IPv4 addresses, again.

Happy?

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Oct-15 15:02:57)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-15 15:16:32
Print Post

OK. Plusnet simply ran out of IPv4 addresses, again.

Happy?

There is no connection between the OP's issue with the RIPE ownership of an IP address, and how the ISP allocates to end users. I'm not worried, just surprised at your statement.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to