User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gazanimal
(regular) Sat 14-Nov-15 14:29:55
Print Post

New to Plusnet - IP profiles on FTTC connection

[link to this post]

Just switched yesterday (13th) to Plusnet from BT on FTTC which I had with BT and I was getting approx 50mb/s down & 12-13mb/s up.

Since switching I'm seemingly capped at 20mb/s down and won't go any higher although upload seems similar speeds. (same speeds day or night)

Am I just still subject to the 10 days training period for the connection?

I rebooted my Asus RT-N66U router after changing the connection details just to be sure & it still is the same, should I need to reboot my Openreach modem or is it not worth bothering with.

At least it's working, but just sluggish it seems.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 14-Nov-15 15:04:17
Print Post

Re: New to Plusnet - IP profiles on FTTC connection

[re: Gazanimal] [link to this post]

There is no 10-day training.

To check your IP Profile, run the BT Wholesale Performance test, preferably connected wired to the router not wireless. Make sure nobody else is using the internet but ignore the rest of the red instructions.

When you get the initial results page, click Further diagnostics at the bottom. That gives you a more detailed results page.

Please copy and paste the contents of the two text boxes - down and up. We don't need to see the graphics.

Note your IP Profile there.

Then go to this Plusnet page, (you will need to log into your account), and check the Current line speed. It should be a couple of hundred kbps below your downstream IP Profile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Gazanimal
(regular) Sat 14-Nov-15 15:34:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There is no 10-day training.

To check your IP Profile, run the BT Wholesale Performance test, preferably connected wired to the router not wireless. Make sure nobody else is using the internet but ignore the rest of the red instructions.

When you get the initial results page, click Further diagnostics at the bottom. That gives you a more detailed results page.

Please copy and paste the contents of the two text boxes - down and up. We don't need to see the graphics.

Note your IP Profile there.

Then go to this Plusnet page, (you will need to log into your account), and check the Current line speed. It should be a couple of hundred kbps below your downstream IP Profile.

Thanks RobertoS

BT Checker

Download speed achieved during the test was - 19.9 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 35.42 Mbps-50.6 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 50.6 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.68Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

PlusNet

Estimated line speed:
46Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-10-05 20:12:17
Current line speed:
21 Mb

Seems like the profiles are the same as they were with BT, just stuck on the download.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 14-Nov-15 15:52:23
Print Post

[re: Gazanimal] [link to this post]

The current line speed should be 50.58. It is supposed to track the IP Profile.

You may find that a reboot of the modem, as you wondered about earlier, will trigger a (small) change of IP Profile. That happens immediately you get a different connection speed. (I suggest you leave the modem off for ten minutes before reconnecting). A new IP Profile should trigger an update a few hours later to the Current line speed. That update can fail, but in your case it could be that Plusnet have never received an update to apply anyway if you left the modem connected through the migration.

If it doesn't, then you need to ask Plusnet to correct it. But I think it will. It updates two or three times a day but only if the IP Profile has changed.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Gazanimal
(regular) Sat 14-Nov-15 16:01:21
Print Post

I'll try that RobertoS and see what happens.

Thanks.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Nov-15 21:12:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think it will. It updates two or three times a day but only if the IP Profile has changed.
It going by own experience and posts on their community forum it often fails to automatically update their IP profile more so when it's in the upwards direction , or some find that it updates to the incorrect value and is set lower than it should be
Standard User 69bertie
(learned) Sun 15-Nov-15 10:32:35
Print Post

Interesting read. I too was under the impression there was a 10 day 'training' period.
What happens if the BT checker says IP Profile for your line is - 70.08 Mbps but Plusnet own says: Current line speed:78 Mb

This is a new fibre install - last Tuesday. I actually think that my IP profile is nearer what the BT wholesale checker says as speedtests downloads tend to come in around 67mb. Upload profile is 20mb which is what I expected.
BT Broadband checker says
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 80
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 76.7

Would a reboot of the OR modem cure anything? Or do I need to contact Plusnet?
Thanks for your assistamce

Standard User bet_here
(regular) Sun 15-Nov-15 11:56:42
Print Post

For my line the BT Wholesale checker has

"For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage."
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Nov-15 12:29:58
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Yes, I know, bet_here. But that is garbage.

That is a BT Wholesale page, and whilst it is relevant to ADSLx, (but not for the reason always trotted out about speeds may improve over the ten days), on FTTC it is simply untrue.

On FTTC the line sync is controlled automatically by the Openreach DLM, not the BT Wholesale one. Though at order time one of three stability levels can be ordered by BT Wholesale.

BT SIN 498 is the relevant document:-
2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.

At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.
For information on what the 10-day period does for ADSLx, see this page. I suppose it is possible that on FTTC BT Wholesale do record the lowest sync in the ten days, but it's nothing to do with "tuning" the line and nothing to do with Openreach..

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Nov-15 12:39:05
Print Post

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Hi 69bertie.

That's fine really, though incorrect. The Current line speed should be 70.06, but the lower of the two figures always applies. In the OP's case the CLS was way too low. Yours is at the default that Plusnet set at order time.

The worst that can happen with yours is that Plusnet allow traffic coming to you from the internet to arrive at the DSLAM faster than the DSLAM can send it to you, resulting in dropped packets that have to be retransmitted. Whereas when they have it set correctly they can buffer it to prevent that.

You could try what I suggested to the OP if you wish. As long as you don't do it loads of times in quick succession you can't do any harm.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to