User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gazanimal
(regular) Sun 15-Nov-15 13:12:58
Print Post

Re: New to Plusnet - IP profiles on FTTC connection

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Small update.

Rebooted the Openreach modem yesterday (left it off for about 10mins) approx 5pm.

Checked & still getting 20mb/s down.

Re-checked just now & still stuck at 20mb/s down.

Will contact Plusnet & see what they say.
Standard User ChrisAO
(regular) Sun 15-Nov-15 13:17:02
Print Post

It shouldn't be necessary to reboot the Modem, in fact, that could be ill advised. It should only be necessary to establish a new PPP session for BT's servers to update and promulgate the IP Profile to Plusnet.
The best way to achieve this is log into the Router and look for your Internet connection details and click on the 'Disconnect' button. Wait about 30 seconds and then click on 'Connect'. Depending on how quickly BT's servers update the Profile (as has been remarked they seem to take a long time for small upward changes) it then depends on how soon Plusnet's scripts run to update your Current Line speed (Login required)
If worst comes to the worst and it doesn't update in 24hrs (if a large change) get onto Live Chat or the Phone and request your Current Line Speed be updated to match the BT IP Profile.
(Don't forget to run the BTw Diagnostic Speed Test to check the IP Profile just before that).

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.

Edited by ChrisAO (Sun 15-Nov-15 13:18:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Nov-15 13:31:18
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

I don't think you are correct there Chris. From the same SIN:-
2.1.6 Downstream shaping

The CP is expected to shape the downstream traffic to match the actual VDSL2 line rate in order to avoid excessive traffic loss.

CPs should be aware that the mechanism for reporting the downstream and upstream line rates relies on a line re-train causing the CP, or the CPE, to initiate a new PPP session or a new DHCP request.
On FTTC, without a re-sync Openreach do not issue a delta report, so nothing gets reported to BT Wholesale or Plusnet.

It's the delta report that triggers BT Wholesale to update the IP Profile, and hence Plusnet to update their CLS.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Nov-15 13:42:35
Print Post

I think that SIN may be confusing all-in-one devices (VDSL+Router) like the BTHub5 or the Sky SR102 with the actual effects. I'm 90% certain I've seen better sync speeds only reflected in throughput after a PPP drop and reconnect.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User ChrisAO
(regular) Sun 15-Nov-15 13:48:36
Print Post

Well Bob, not from my recollection.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's the delta report that triggers BT Wholesale to update the IP Profile, and hence Plusnet to update their CLS.
That is absolutely correct, but
CPs should be aware that the mechanism for reporting the downstream and upstream line rates relies on a line re-train causing the CP, or the CPE, to initiate a new PPP session or a new DHCP request.

The operative bit of the quote from the SIN is the bit I've underlined. I'd have to go back and double check for a number of actual examples. At one point one gave up trying to keep abreast of Current Line Speed updates because there was a period when Plusnet's scripts were either not running or not working as they should have. Chris Purvey (Plusnet) put a lot of work into trying to get all that resolved. When I last looked at this issue, it seemed to be BT delaying the issue of the Delta reports when there was an increase. The cynic in me says that was quite deliberate as it could save quite a lot of bandwidth on the BT network.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Nov-15 14:32:03
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

What (I believe, but could be wrong) is that you are missing the fact it is BT Wholesale who notify Plusnet of the change.

If the sync doesn't change then BT Wholesale will not recalculate the IP Profile. (For the rest of the thread readers, IP Profile is purely a BT Wholesale invention and doesn't exist on Openreach GEA-FTTC itself). If BTW don't recalculate an IP Profile I don't think they generate a delta report from them to Plusnet. On the grounds that nothing has changed, delta = 0.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 15-Nov-15 14:33:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I think that SIN may be confusing all-in-one devices (VDSL+Router) like the BTHub5 or the Sky SR102 with the actual effects.
I don't think the wording of that bit has changed since the day the SIN was written, when the only kit expected was an Openreach modem. Somewhere I have a copy of a much older version, on a different machine.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 15-Nov-15 14:36:26)

Standard User Gazanimal
(regular) Sun 15-Nov-15 14:53:21
Print Post

OK, update Part 2.

Spoke to PlusNet, told them of the findings and they said it was a Profile issue. They changed it at their end & said wait 20-40mins and recheck.

Did so, no change, but rebooted modem & now getting my usual 50mb/s down as before.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 49.33 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 36.18 Mbps-51.69 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 51.69 Mbps
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Nov-15 15:23:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I think that SIN may be confusing all-in-one devices (VDSL+Router) like the BTHub5 or the Sky SR102 with the actual effects. I'm 90% certain I've seen better sync speeds only reflected in throughput after a PPP drop and reconnect.
When DLM makes changes on VDSL the modem will usually re establish sync quickly as a result plus net doesn't see it, (PPPOE session isn't lost ) So customers have to manually drop PPPOE session, Once when DLM made adverse changes to my connection ,pppoe session stayed up, i did nothing and was getting near the BTW IP profile in throughput within a few mbps, Pn's profile remained at the previous higher level,
Some 2 weeks later DLM completely reversed the changes made and pn's system was none the wiser, a similar thing happened again , but due to peak time congestion iissues i had to drop PPPOE session several times to hop gateways to find a less congested route, and my throughput was a lot lower than the BT ip profile, because of pn's pointless profile system
Also they are the only isp that shape incoming throughput ,aka buffering it, and the only isp to use a second IP profile to cap throughput , yet i see less dropped data packets than i did when a plusnet customer
Standard User 69bertie
(learned) Sun 15-Nov-15 16:46:02
Print Post

Thanks for that info, I'll leave as is. I'm more than happy with the current speeds I'm getting.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to