User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User libf
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:18:44
Print Post

Get PlusNet now, then get on trial when moved to FTTP house?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I don't really want to pay BT for a phoneline when I move to my new house in Janaury, but as it's FTTP only there are a fairly limited number of suppliers who will be available to me... So, I was thinking of switching to PlusNet FTTC only now (cheaper than my current non-fibre Sky too), so that when I move I can access their FTTP trial.

Is this likely to work out? Am I missing any obvious pitfalls? Don't want to sign myself up for a 18 month contract and £50 installation fee if it's likely to bite me in my ass later!

Edited by libf (Wed 18-Nov-15 12:49:47)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:40:32
Print Post

Re: Get PlusNet now, then upgrade when moved to FTTP house?

[re: libf] [link to this post]

If you were without any broadband for a few weeks while Plusnet got their act together would that be critical? If it is, going with Plusnet for something non-standard would be a huge risk given the current state of their support and the extremely limited number of staff who know about FTTP.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:45:31
Print Post

In your shoes I would probably take the easy route and just go straight to BT who have fully launched FTTP products. Might be a few quid more but given the issues that PlusNet have had over the last 12 months it might avoid you tearing your hair out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User libf
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-15 11:45:58
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I can bump up my phone data and use that for a bit after moving in if it takes a while. Should be simple though as all the FTTP equipment will be installed before I move in, so just a case of getting the right person on the phone/Plusnet forum to turn it on overnight.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 13:52:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by libf:
I can bump up my phone data and use that for a bit after moving in if it takes a while. Should be simple though as all the FTTP equipment will be installed before I move in, so just a case of getting the right person on the phone/Plusnet forum to turn it on overnight.
The plusnet FTTP trial is only 80/20 as far as im aware, So pointless really
Standard User libf
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-15 14:15:11
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I'm not after anything more than 38/2. Get by on 5/0.5 from Sky atm!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 14:34:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by libf:
I'm not after anything more than 38/2. Get by on 5/0.5 from Sky atm!
then you will be wasting your money on FTTP if you aren't interested in the benefits of having FTTP may as well stick with ADSL and save your money

And as far as know plusnet don't do voice on FTTP , So you may have to pay line rental for an analogue line (copper pair) as well or the price will be increased to the same price as if you rented the copper pair

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 18-Nov-15 14:42:33)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Nov-15 15:54:53
Print Post

So a potential jump in speed from what might be a couple of meg to 40 meg is not worth it? If the choice is slow ADSL or FTTP at the same price as FTTC then it doesn't seem like a bad option to me. Telling the OP isn't worth it is assuming a lot.

FTTP line rental I believe normally includes the delivery of the PSTN circuit, the same as it does for FTTC. In essence a place that is FTTP delivered is no different from one that is FTTC (from the cost and service perspective). It just happens to be delivered over a more stable technology that can go much higher.
Standard User libf
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-15 16:00:00
Print Post

I'm buying a new build which only has FTTP, so I don't have a choice!

Part of the reason for choosing Plusnet is not having to pay to have a phoneline that I don't use.

Edited by libf (Wed 18-Nov-15 16:01:36)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 18-Nov-15 16:00:53
Print Post

He's just jealous.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to