User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Wed 25-Nov-15 21:06:08
Print Post

Use a unique password for PN

[link to this post]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/25/plusnet_stil...
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Nov-15 23:09:47
Print Post

Re: Use a unique password for PN

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

I always use different passwords for each site - doesn't everybody
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Nov-15 23:33:36
Print Post

What's worse is that Plusnet's email servers still don't support SSL, so passwords are frequently sent across the internet unencrypted:

http://www.plus.net/images/support/email/setup/wlm20...

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tdw42
(learned) Thu 26-Nov-15 11:05:42
Print Post

Probably no different to other ISPs - with pretty much all of the network authentication methods you must either have the plaintext password at the ISP, or transmit it in plaintext to the ISP.

What they really should do is have separate network authentication credentials to the one used for the portal and email - the network authentication is only of use to someone with the same ISP and can be easily traced, the portal credentials can be used from anywhere and gives access to personal information. Eclipse certainly separated the two when I was with them.

The portal credentials should never be disclosed by phone as it allows phishing and account hijacking - set a random new one and post the details to the registered address or alternate email address registered when the account was opened, force password change on first use. As ever this is typically seen as inconvenient when someone looses their password, and most people seem to favor convenience over security.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-15 11:51:59
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

I assume sarcasm 'Doesn't everybody' but that is the problem. Hardly anybody uses a unique password at every site.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Nov-15 13:46:56
Print Post

I do.

And when my wife was alive, if a site such as a credit card company needed us to have separate logins we used different passwords.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Thu 26-Nov-15 14:01:00
Print Post

I don't, but I do use different passwords for important sites. Most importantly, never reuse your primary email address password as any compromised site using the same password would give hackers access to what is usually the primary channel for communication, getting passwords reset and so on. Having access to somebody's primary email address opens a potential Pandora's box.

In fact it's probably best to have a completely separate email account linked to "high security" sites like banks.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Nov-15 16:42:44
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
In fact it's probably best to have a completely separate email account linked to "high security" sites like banks.
I give all my contacts a unique email address. It's a great way of reducing spam. If you get an email you shouldn't you know why and you can block that address without affecting any others.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Thu 26-Nov-15 16:43:13)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Nov-15 17:12:15
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tdw42:
What they really should do is have separate network authentication credentials to the one used for the portal and email

My Plusnet email password is different to my portal/network authentication password (and always has been).

It's only the same when people don't take the short time required to configure it via http://email.plus.net

Separating the portal and network authentication credentials is overdue.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Thu 26-Nov-15 17:28:02
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I admire your ability to keep track, although I suppose if you use a mail server allowing for an unlimited number of addresses you can just use a name based on the site DNS contents.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to