User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gb7
(learned) Thu 03-Dec-15 08:49:34
Print Post

Plusnet Domain Transfer woes

[link to this post]

After years with Freenetname and Madasafish on dialup and through to ADSL, the news that Madasafish was closing prompted me to move up to FTCC with Plusnet.

Used the online chat rather than wait over 40 minutes to speak to someone, and arranged for my org.uk domain (which I've had since I joined freenetname) over to Plusnet, as well as to kick off an order for fibre.

Kicked this off on the evening of 30th November, and by early afternoon on 1st December noticed I was not getting any emails to my domain. Wow! that was quick I think. Did a quick whois lookup on my domain and I got this result (edited to remove personal data):

Domain name:
xxxxxx.org.uk

Registrant:
xxxxxxx

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 01-Dec-2015

Registrar:
No registrar listed.

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 09-Oct-1999
Expiry date: 09-Oct-2017
Last updated: 01-Dec-2015

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
No name servers listed.

And there it has stayed ever since. No registrar, no name servers so no email.

I've contacts Plusnet several times via chat and have updated the ticket but am being told it takes a minimum of 72 hours for someone to look at this. Strange, as they broke it within 18 hours! I'm told there is no way of escalating the issue - ridiculous.

Does anyone know how I can get this resolved - presume there is nothing I can do directly through Nominet is there?

Thanks
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-15 09:09:49
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Domain Transfer woes

[re: gb7] [link to this post]

The usual route is to post on the Plusnet Forums and hope that Bob picks it up as he is the guru on that sort of problem
Standard User gb7
(learned) Thu 03-Dec-15 09:13:07
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks...

Is that Bob Pullen? I'm sure he helped me on some Madasafish issues a while ago....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-15 09:51:06
Print Post

yes
Standard User kbturner
(member) Thu 03-Dec-15 13:41:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by gb7:
After years with Freenetname and Madasafish on dialup and through to ADSL ...
Me too. I moved to PlusNet in August 2014, although I'm not (yet) on FTTC.

I'm intrigued that you are in the process of transferring your domain to PN, because I was advised that in order to retain my domain name (and associated web space) I should downgrade my Madasafish account to JustMail, at a cost of £1.69 per month.

How are PN charging you to host your domain? Does your web space also get transferred? According to this page it'll cost you £52.88 every two years to renew an org.uk domain. This compares with £40.56 for 24 months of JustMail
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Dec-15 13:46:21
Print Post

[re: kbturner] [link to this post]

Ye Gods!

Click the Tsohost link in my sig!

DotUK domains cost well under £7 per two years from all dedicated hosting companies, with email hosting on the domain starting at £15pa or lower.

Transfer the stuff into there.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-15 14:12:09
Print Post

[re: kbturner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kbturner:
How are PN charging you to host your domain? Does your web space also get transferred? According to this page it'll cost you £52.88 every two years to renew an org.uk domain

Nominet's wholesale price for .uk domains is £2.50 per year (soon to rise to £3.75) so the mark-up Plusnet are adding there is incredible.

Oliver.
Standard User keith969
(member) Thu 03-Dec-15 14:26:47
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Yes, maintaining a domain name is really cheap - although it should be as they don't exactly have to do anything. It's kind of like having to pay the Post Office to maintain your address to deliver mail.

I have my website and email hosted by a friend who charges me nothing - and has been since about 2000 smile

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-15 14:34:01
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

I like that Nominet was set up as a not-for-profit company. Even with their low wholesale price they still make a surplus, which they donate to charity via the Nominet Trust.

Quite a refreshing approach really.

Oliver.
Standard User keith969
(member) Thu 03-Dec-15 14:40:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Didn't know that. It is a good thing indeed, shame that some companies are adding charges on top of that.

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to