User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 13-Dec-15 23:56:46
Print Post

My line rental saver expired today...

[link to this post]

I'd forgotten all about it, despite a reminder a couple of months ago, which I'd apparently not read (probably mistook it for the standard billing notification).

I've just renewed at the 11th hour - literally - 11:30 p.m. on expiration day.

Billing is tomorrow.

I assume all went OK, as it did let me "renew" (which must have meant I was deemed still to be on it).

But will I have messed anything up by (potentially) having renewed hours after it expired?

Can I expect an extra line rental component on the bill tomorrow, because they assume I'm back on pay monthly?

Which will mean my LRS runs from January instead? Or what...?

T.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 14-Dec-15 09:13:45
Print Post

Re: My line rental saver expired today...Update

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Well, billing confirmation arrived, and looks normal - i.e. no included line rental, so looks like doing it "on the day" (just) was not too late after all.

Now pondering whether I've done the right thing anyway, as I've saved only £18, instead of the £50ish it once used to be. I may use the "cooling-off" period to cancel, as I'm not sure £18 is worth it, to be locked in for another whole year (not that I've moved for years anyway), and a £185 lump sum Christmas month is not ideal for other reasons (other utilities all in too, and the additional expense of Christmas). It might be more palatable to pay as I go, instead of this heavy bill to save peanuts.

Do I lose any other perks I might have had (like the free evening & weekend calls) if I cancel the LRS, or is the £18 in the course of a year the only difference?
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Mon 14-Dec-15 10:13:15
Print Post

No, the £18 refers only to line rental saver, the evg calls etc are part of your package. But as for cancelling LRS, returning to your monthly payments, and getting a refund through PN's tortuous billing system via their call centre ... best of luck! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-15 10:38:48
Print Post

Yeah, even doing it late doesn't matter. They will backdate the new contract and refund you the difference. That's what I did last year over a month into my rolling contract when I realised what had happened. This year I'm not sure. I'm going to run the figures for a change of ISP and whether or not I want the slight hassle of updating my domain records.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 14-Dec-15 10:40:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Dec-15 10:41:13
Print Post

How much do you use the phone, and how much outside your call plan?

Is your broadband product like mine was, taken out before they started charging £2.50 extra if you don't have the phone with them?

My phone happened to be with BT, but Plusnet charges are similar. A few months ago I moved it to Pulse8broadband. Rental, basic 1571 and caller display £14pm. Peak-time calls are 1p per minute billed per second with no setup charge. Off-peak 0.8ppm. That's an awful lot of calls paid for by the rental and call plan saving! Even if the broadband is a recent product that would cost an extra £2.50.

With nearly all outgoing calls easily accommodated by my mobile allowance I'm quids in.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 14-Dec-15 10:42:33)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 14-Dec-15 10:45:45
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Er...point taken! Still gotta pay up eventually, either way, so if it's all done and dusted for another year, might be least stress to leave it alone.

T.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Mon 14-Dec-15 10:58:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's an awful lot of calls paid for by the rental and call plan saving!

Ah, but you haven't experienced my dear wife on the phone to her sisters frown
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 14-Dec-15 11:05:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I use the phone hardly at all. In fact, if I didn't still need the line for my broadband (I've not upgraded to fibre), I'm not sure I'd bother to have it any more.

Some months, I've made no calls at all - or no chargeable calls. If I have to make a call, I normally try to postpone it 'til the free evening or weekend period - IF whatever or whoever it it is still around in those hours.

Otherwise it might be the odd brief, chargeable local call, to doctor's, chemist or whatever. The rental is a punitive proportion of my overall phone costs, and it is not creeping, but leaping up, year on year, way ahead of inflation. To be fair, I think this is true of most providers, and not specific to PN - it's getting more and more expensive just to have the line, whether you make many calls or not.

The broadband product - I don't know. I haven't changed or upgraded it for ages, so I'd guess it was before there was a penalty if you don't take phone as well.

However, I'm not sure I didn't get a discount when I finally migrated the phone (which was BT) a couple of years ago.

So no penalty if you don't take the phone, but a saving if you do, seems like a different way of saying the same thing!

The same way firms (including PN) usually insist there's no penalty for refusing to pay by direct debit - however, you can get a reduction if you do! No penalty, you just don't qualify for the "reduction"...Hmmm.

T.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Dec-15 11:13:26
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Ah, but I was putting it to Tina.

Plus, in your case I imagine you are on Anytime. That's 600 minutes on Pulse8 before you look at the rental saving. £14 v £15.49 is another 149 minutes.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Dec-15 11:16:00
Print Post

We'd need to look at your actual charges Tina, but it does sound like a phone move this time next year, assuming you are now locked in, is worth considering.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to