User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Wed 16-Dec-15 12:06:27
Print Post

IP Profiles

[link to this post]

I have a friend who is on a very long line and has just gone live with Plusnet.
Is there a way to see what their IP profile is doing? They're currently connected at around 2Mb/s down and 448kb/s up, but can see download speeds of around 250kb/s
Also, is it worth investing in a different router to squeeze some more speed from the line? (They're currently using the 2704n)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Dec-15 12:27:56
Print Post

Re: IP Profiles

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

Run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignoring all the red instructions), and on the initial results page click Further diagnostics at the bottom. The IP Profile is given in the text box.

It is also a good idea to check that the Plusnet Current line speed corresponds with the IP Profile. It should be just below the IP Profile, and normally updates a few hours after the IP Profile changes.

Sometimes the update fails and it has to be manually set by support. It's probably best to go via the Community Forums for that as I don't know if front-line support/chat can do that.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 16-Dec-15 12:28:53)

Standard User Mark07
(regular) Wed 16-Dec-15 13:10:20
Print Post

You could also pop the phone number into here https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=...

To find the IP profile

Edited by Mark07 (Wed 16-Dec-15 13:11:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Dec-15 15:13:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Chat certainly can
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Fri 18-Dec-15 12:51:49
Print Post

[re: Mark07] [link to this post]

Perfect - thank you!
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Fri 18-Dec-15 13:03:14
Print Post

Thanks RobertoS
Downstream attenuation is 63.5 - so it's pretty bad. The issue at the moment is that the speed will suddenly drop to about 300k down. Not entirely sure why or what's causing is, or if it's an issue with the sync or just dodgy wifi. The IP profile is 1.6Mb, which is around the same as the sync speed (we're still within the first 10 days, and the sync has been between 1 and 2.5Mb).
I suspect I'm going to have to buy a 2700HGV and go over there myself...
Standard User crule
(newbie) Fri 18-Dec-15 14:53:54
Print Post

I have tried inputting my phone number into the Ip profile checker and always get this response

Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.
Debug: BT no BRAS info
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Dec-15 15:09:28
Print Post

[re: crule] [link to this post]

If you are on an LLU connection, such as most Sky and TalkTalk (or TalkTalk resellers') users, then you don't have an IP Profile. It is purely a BT Wholesale thing affecting BT-Wholesale based ISPs.

On LLU, if you run the BTW Performance test linked to earlier, the initial test will work but the Further Diagnostics will not recognise the phone number.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Mark07
(regular) Fri 18-Dec-15 16:00:01
Print Post

Plus net don't do LLU do they? If I put my Plusnet phone number in it brings back my IP profile.
Standard User crule
(newbie) Fri 18-Dec-15 18:35:43
Print Post

[re: Mark07] [link to this post]

I am not with a LLU isp but with BT. I have never been able to get any information from this test
If I subscribed to conspiracy theories i would think they were out to get me!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to