User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TaKeN
(newbie) Thu 31-Dec-15 16:03:52
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre - Good Download - Poor Upload?

[link to this post]

Good Afternoon all,

I've returned again to discuss my Plusnet woes after the last helpful discussion we had here smile

We upgraded from Plusnet ADSL to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 on the 18th of December, I've had the following issue ever since..

Please see here >> http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1470...

I can't get a tech to reply on the forum, despite them seemingly replying to others in newer threads than mine,

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a higher upload speed? or is there something else going on here?
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 31-Dec-15 16:29:41
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre - Good Download - Poor Upload?

[re: TaKeN] [link to this post]

I'm on 40/20 and routinely get ~36Mbps down but only ~6Mbps up so I'll be interested to see what's said here. It's not a problem for me really as I don't need much in the way of upload speed but I've wondered why there's such a disparity between the two.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-Dec-15 20:06:47
Print Post

From reading the posts over there, it's a DLM banding thing, could be hard to get it fixed. If you are lucky it will resolve of its own accord eventually.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64500/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-Dec-15 23:03:15
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Well as the install was done on BT's behalf by a Rupert from Kelly's it's surprising it even works, Me think's that a real BT or engineer is what is required here
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 01-Jan-16 01:16:30
Print Post

At one stage I did make some enquiries about why there was such a big reduction in my upload speed when I was getting good download speeds and I seem to remember being told that there was little or no correlation between speeds being achieved each way i.e. that just because you get good figures one way doesn't mean you will automatically get similarly good results in the opposite direction???
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Fri 01-Jan-16 08:41:11
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Another problem is lack of information. You can't get at the line stats without hacking the Openreach modem. I don't know if PN are now supplying a more elegant combined VDSL modem/router but I went my own way and got a TP LINK W9980. now available for under £50. This gives easy access to line stats as well as rather better wifi than the woeful PN offering.

Here are my current line stats. I'm on the old 40/20 service so my download speed is throttled to 40Mb/s despite getting sync at 80.. I'm about 200 yards from the street cabinet.

Line Status:
Connected

DSL Modulation Type:
VDSL2

Annex Type:
Annex A/B/L/M

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 19999 79997
Max Rate (Kbps) 28172 83515
SNR Margin (dB) 15.2 6.7
Line Attenuation (dB) 12.9 12.6
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jan-16 10:50:39
Print Post

In your link you mentioned some sort of extension lead. Can you elaborate on that?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jan-16 18:43:56
Print Post

Looking at your posts on the PN forum, the main issue you seem to be facing is that the upstream bitloading is pretty bad - especially in the U2 band starting around tone 1980. This is resulting in a low sync speed.

It doesn't look like DLM has artificially lowered the upstream speed, as this low sync speed is achieved with the standard 6dB noise margin. "Banding" by DLM, or artificially setting a low sync speed, will result in an SNRM level notably higher than 6dB.

In fact, from the "--stats" output that is visible in the "pastebin" link, we can see that DLM hasn't intervened at all yet. The error rate (600 ES's in 10 hours) isn't enough to trigger DLM - at least not on a PN line.

You appear, at first glance, to be getting decent downstream speeds. Ordinarily, that would suggest that you are either suffering from noise and interference that is particular to the upstream frequencies, or you are transmitting at too low a power level - though there isn't necessarily anything you can do about either.

However, the bitloading graph shows your downstream loading has been done very differently from the norm too (see link later for a comparison example). Ordinarily, I'd expect a lot more of the D3 band to be used - instead, you seem to have a small "blip" of D3, and a lot of extra bits in D2 and D1.

Overall, it looks strange, suspicious even, and suggests your line isn't working as normal at all ... so perhaps your latest discovery of a tree rubbing the distribution cable is indeed the cause of the issues.

It might be useful to post a few more things from the HG612:
- The Hlog graph, which might give an idea of the state of the copper
- The QLN graph, which indicates how noisy your line is
- The SNR graph
- The data from the "--pbParams" command

All of these are things you can get from tabs on DSLstats; the latter two are within the "telnet data" tab.

It is probably easier to post images over on PN's forum, with a post here to say you've done it.

Other notes:
- Where you see reduced bit loading below tone 180 ... is normal. The FTTC cabinet is configured to reduce power on lower tones, so it doesn't interfere with ADSL signals from the exchange. The setting varies for each cabinet, so for some you see this notch at different tones.

- Your attenuation is 18.8dB, which is consistent with the speed estimates that BT provide. 80Mbps is certainly feasible downstream, just about, but it could easily drop somewhat as it gets affected by crosstalk - which will happen with increasing subscriber numbers.

Other posters are getting hung up on how long your line is, but they are forgetting that the gauge (thickness) of the copper is important, as well as the length.

An old line of mine had a 16.7dB attenuation, and was about 370m from the cabinet. That would suggest your line is behaving like a line that is only 410m long. However, it is entirely possible that your line uses thicker copper than normal - perhaps 0.6mm instead of 0.5mm.

That line started with an attainable speed of about 90Mbps, but that dropped as crosstalk took effect over 3 years, dropping eventually to 78Mbps.

The upstream attainable was well over 20Mbps throughout. Ordinarily, you ought to be in that region.

For comparison, here is what the graphs look like for that line:
http://postimg.org/image/vyrngmb11/

- I've had an even older line, that was 650m of copper. This was back in the days when only the 40/10 package existed, but it achieved a 10Mbps upstream easily, and reported an attainable of 16Mbps.

- The agent who told you "favouring download over upload" is talking nonsense. The distribution of upstream frequencies vs downstream ones is fixed nationwide, and everyone gets favoured the same.
Standard User TaKeN
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-16 19:57:47
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
In your link you mentioned some sort of extension lead. Can you elaborate on that?

Good evening! What I meant by that, is that I've ran a new extension from the removable facia that bolts onto the NTE5A or MK3 faceplate.

Removing this makes no difference to the broadband speed, I've tried a resync with this disconnected as well.

Edited by TaKeN (Fri 08-Jan-16 19:58:35)

Standard User TaKeN
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-16 19:59:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Looking at your posts on the PN forum, the main issue you seem to be facing is that the upstream bitloading is pretty bad - especially in the U2 band starting around tone 1980. This is resulting in a low sync speed.

Thanks Wombat, I'll get some stats up asap. Great reply from you, very informative!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to