User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:27:42
Print Post

PN Current Line Speed

[link to this post]

As far as I am aware that plusnet up to 38/2 get current line speed set at 40 Mb but why is plusnet up to 76/19 get current line speed set at 78 Mb. Doesn't make any sense at all. Should be set at 80 Mb.

My current line speed was set at 80 Mb for the last 6 months and now Plusnet set it at 78 Mb. What is going on? Why can't they just leave it alone. I have rang up tech support but they refused set at 80 Mb because it won't allow it. That's loads of rubbish, I seen my other friend's Plusnet current line speed at 80 Mb for a year now!

Getting fed up with this silly current line speed.

Before: BT IP: 77.35 Mb & PN set at 80 Mb throughput speed 75.45 Mb Smiley
Now: BT IP: 77.35 Mb & PN set at 78 Mb throughput speed 73.45 Mb Angry
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:30:29
Print Post

Re: PN Current Line Speed

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Tragic.
tongue
smile

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Al1264
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:52:26
Print Post

If my throughput dropped to 97.35% of what it should be (and always was) I think I'd call my ISP and ask if they could apply a 2.65% discount (53p/month) off the full price for the next 2 years. wink

Edited by Al1264 (Thu 21-Jan-16 13:05:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lagu
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 12:56:13
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

My heart bleeds for you.

Estimated line speed:
69Mb (This may vary between 49.9Mb and 69.8Mb) - Checked on 2015-12-28 09:41:18
Current line speed:
29 Mb

Lagu (Joshua on O2 forums)
Ex-Nildram Home, Ex-Plusnet 1Mb Premier(ish), Ex-F2S, Ex-02 Access. Now with ADSL24
'Come to the Dark Side..... We have cookies.'
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jan-16 14:53:18
Print Post

Opening this OLD can of worms again!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jan-16 15:53:06
Print Post

Oh dear, now you know what it's like to be shafted of 2 Mbps or more , I recall you arguing that their secondary IP profile didn't throttle their customers connections when the sad reality of it is that it does , just because you where lucky enough to have escaped this until now shouldn't really mean you go into i must defend my isp mode
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 17:59:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
As far as I am aware that plusnet up to 38/2 get current line speed set at 40 Mb but why is plusnet up to 76/19 get current line speed set at 78 Mb. Doesn't make any sense at all. Should be set at 80 Mb.

My current line speed was set at 80 Mb for the last 6 months and now Plusnet set it at 78 Mb. What is going on? Why can't they just leave it alone. I have rang up tech support but they refused set at 80 Mb because it won't allow it. That's loads of rubbish, I seen my other friend's Plusnet current line speed at 80 Mb for a year now!

Before: BT IP: 77.35 Mb & PN set at 80 Mb throughput speed 75.45 Mb Smiley
Now: BT IP: 77.35 Mb & PN set at 78 Mb throughput speed 73.45 Mb Angry

Aren't the changes down to Wholesale changing the product portfolio? Due to fibre uptake getting faster and wider, they speeds will gradually slow down that they can offer as a maximum.

Same happened with ADSL2+ it was originally upto 24mb, and now it's upto 17mb. Was only a matter of time with fibre.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 21-Jan-16 18:21:30
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

That's an advertising regulation thing and doesn't affect the real-world performance at all. I agree crosstalk does, but not in the way the OP is complaining about.

Crosstalk mainly affects the sync speed, not the throughput in relation to it, unless horrendous error rates are caused. Whereupon DLM drops the sync rate to reduce them.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jan-16 10:20:02
Print Post

What a shame, be thankful you can get anywhere near that speed, I know people who are still using dial-up.

The faster we get the faster we want.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Psyman
(newbie) Fri 22-Jan-16 12:01:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:

First world worries....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to