User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JarredR
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 19:29:18
Print Post

New fibre router recommendation

[link to this post]

Wow its been ages since I've posted, but I'm after some advice from our trusty thinkbroadband Plusnet userbase!

At the moment I've got a BTO Fibre FTTC router connected to a Technicolour TG582n.
I'd like to replace them with one single (gigabit) router, but looking for a router that gives me:
1) Guest wireless access - Vlan just used for kids that offers some sort of web filtering
2) The ability to do some web filtering by category, and allow for me to force DNS server on wireless clients and force Google Safe search.
(just changing the routers DNS to opendns is of no use, if client pc's can manually specify their own dns server)
3) Ability to have router based VPN client would be an added bonus.

The Draytek Vigor 2860 seems to tick most of the boxes. although not sure on its DNS settings/abilities Anyone already using one? or anything similar/better?

Thanks

Ray
Standard User mkelly
(member) Fri 29-Jan-16 21:58:51
Print Post

Re: New fibre router recommendation

[re: JarredR] [link to this post]

Kitz has (as always) some useful info here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

M

Best Regards

Mark Kelly
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Jan-16 10:49:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by JarredR:
1) Guest wireless access - Vlan just used for kids that offers some sort of web filtering

Guest wireless is a feature on many modern routers, my Asus for example, but filtering is harder as it puts a lot of CPU to work. I know a virign media customer with 150mb broadband whom is only able to use 80mbps as the router is busy doing filter checks.

2) The ability to do some web filtering by category, and allow for me to force DNS server on wireless clients and force Google Safe search.
(just changing the routers DNS to opendns is of no use, if client pc's can manually specify their own dns server)

You need to firewall block all DNS queries (TCP and UDP port 53) to every DNS server except the one you permit. Forcing google safe search is done in a browser, so no idea how a router can help here. You may need parental control software on the devices.

3) Ability to have router based VPN client would be an added bonus.

Asus and Draytek certainly have inbound VPN, using various protocols such as PPTP (not secure) or OpenVPN (much more secure)

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JarredR
(member) Sun 31-Jan-16 14:16:48
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Many thanks!

Dns settings as well as web filtering have to be set and enforced on the router, as theres nothing stopping one of the kids friends coming by with their mobile / tablet /laptop and browsing..

I cant exactly install software on other peoples devices smile

You can set Google safe search on the router, Fortinet Devices have a Gui option that allow for this. and it can be done manually on some routers to: see here: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/186669?h...
(Expand Option 3 "Lock SafeSearch by making changes to your router (advanced)")

Looks like I've got a little more research to do.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jan-16 15:23:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by JarredR:
You can set Google safe search on the router, Fortinet Devices have a Gui option that allow for this. and it can be done manually on some routers to: see here: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/186669?h... (Expand Option 3 "Lock SafeSearch by making changes to your router (advanced)")

That's really intended for corporates who are running servers as well as routers - and can force the DNS responses the internal users get.

I haven't yet seen a router that hosts DNS internally that you can say www.google.com is actually at www.bing.com for example - but doesn't mean there isn't one smile

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to