User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Wed 10-Feb-16 18:48:03
Print Post

PlusNet Connection drops

[link to this post]

We have two laptops one running Windows 10 & the other Vista. Both work perfectly well in London where we use BT broadband.

In our Sussex cottage, they were working perfectly well until 2 weeks ago when the connection was dropped. It would be up for about 5mins then we would have to wait for a few hours then it would be back for another 5mins.

We have phoned PlusNet and they can see our connection has been dropped in the way I describe and they suggested some basic checks which we already had done.

Apart from suggesting replacing the router, PlusNet have been of very little use.

Has any one any ideas?

Many thanks
Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Feb-16 18:56:09
Print Post

Re: PlusNet Connection drops

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

Yes, they are your chosen ISP whom you pay to provide you with a service.

Once you have done what they have asked, and this hasn't cured the issue, they should get their supplier, (Openreach) to do an SFI visit.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 19:11:36
Print Post

With regard to the cottage if you connect the router into the TEST socket within the mastersocket and then connect the laptop with ethernet cable to the router do you still have problems?

Any noise when using the telephone to check dial 17070 and select option 2 - "the quiet line test", you shouldn't here any clicks hissing or any noise at all, if you do here noise report it as a Phone line fault (not a broadband fault) to your calls/ line rental supplier.

Edit > forgot to mention that you should use a corded phone and plug it into the TEST socket when doing the quiet line test.
If no test socket then you'll just have to use the mastersocket.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-...

plusnet user

Edited by Apprentice (Wed 10-Feb-16 19:19:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 11-Feb-16 13:29:38
Print Post

If you're still experiencing the same issues after going through the tests we ask for then the next step is to report a fault to us for investigation, you can do this at https://faults.plus.net

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Fri 12-Feb-16 20:48:39
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Hello

Thankyou for your helpful comments.

Since I reported the problem the connection has not dropped - although since nothing has been changed I suspect the fault will recur.

We will only be here for another few days as we rent it out.

I will report back in a few days time.

Paul.
Standard User Tantalus
(regular) Sat 13-Feb-16 20:45:44
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Same problem occured with the ethernet connection. Spoke to Plusnet once again. Took ages to get through and you have to listen to this ghastly noise (muzac) while you are waiting.

They suggested I changed the channel on the router. This did not work.

Phoned Plus net again. Ordered another router (£46) in case this was causing the problem.

This is the latest development:

Our Support Team have opened Question 119940463 to track an issue on your account.

I have tested your line today and I have found the possible cause for the connection/speed issues.

Your circuit was set to an SNR margin of 9 decibels on the downstream, because the lines are very sensitive and that margin is to low for the line to cope with, this will reflect in either disconnections or slow speed.

To fix this i have done two things:

-1) I have reset the line which will return the SNR margin target to 12db instead of 9db. Please restart your router after 4 hours to allow the reset to fully complete. After this the router will need to be left on permanently.

-2) I have modified your circuit to prevent the SNR margin from being changed in future automatically by the Dynamic Line management system at the exchange, unfortunately we cant guarantee the settings will stick as this piece of hardware is automated.

The two orders should take a total of 24 working hours to complete and for the new settings to initiate on the line. Following this it will take up to 10 days to the line to settle back down

If however you still experience connection issues after these have completed then please get back to us so we can investigate further.

To find out what an SNR margin is please click below;

SNR MarginSome links you may also find useful:Make a paymentView your invoicesView your itemised phone callsChange your packageView your broadband usageUpdate your payment details(You may need to log in using your account username and password to be able to access these)Want to ask us a question?You can also raise a query to us on-line by clicking here at any time. We will aim to respond to this within 72 hours or sooner where possible. You can also save this link to your favorites or bookmarks for easy access.You can check our average reply time and call queues at any time by visiting our Customer Support Stats at any time.Here is the Plusnet postal address.Plusnet, The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield S1 2GUIf there is anything else I can help you with then please do not hesitate to contact us via the members centre or alternatively give us a call on 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200 if that would be better for you.

Kind regards,

Thomas Rhodes
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-16 22:40:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tantalus:
I have tested your line today and I have found the possible cause for the connection/speed issues.

Your circuit was set to an SNR margin of 9 decibels on the downstream, because the lines are very sensitive and that margin is to low for the line to cope with, this will reflect in either disconnections or slow speed.

To fix this i have done two things:

-1) I have reset the line which will return the SNR margin target to 12db instead of 9db. Please restart your router after 4 hours to allow the reset to fully complete. After this the router will need to be left on permanently.

-2) I have modified your circuit to prevent the SNR margin from being changed in future automatically by the Dynamic Line management system at the exchange, unfortunately we cant guarantee the settings will stick as this piece of hardware is automated.

The two orders should take a total of 24 working hours to complete and for the new settings to initiate on the line.
Ye gods frown.
Following this it will take up to 10 days to the line to settle back down
Ye gods!!

The last one is utter tripe. The first one may or may not be, (but setting a margin of 12dB is not the same as "resetting"), as we don't have your line stats.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 23:13:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The last one is utter tripe. The first one may or may not be, (but setting a margin of 12dB is not the same as "resetting"), as we don't have your line stats.

As this would be a BT circuit, to change the SNR as the rep has written, does require a "reset" to the new figure. This is part of the ccSNR functionality that BT offer. Unlike 20CN where a reset traditionally was done to get back to 6db, on 21CN it offers the ability to set target margins, banded rates and interleave levels.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Feb-16 23:53:29
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I have to accept that as you deal with these things, but it's a very strange word for BTW to use for that process. It's a setting. A reset in the normal course of the world means either reset to defaults (or factory defaults) or to the settings prior to the user messing them up.

Setting the SNRM to a specific figure changes the settings. Putting them back to something else is resetting.

However, as that is clearly what the screen in front of the rep said, they can't be blamed.

Whether or not it was the correct thing to do in the first place we don't know, as we have no relevant information. Upping the SNRM beyond what the DLM thinks is necessary always makes me think "copout to shut the customer up", rather than trying to find out the cause. Like a dodgy filter even.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Feb-16 09:13:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It is often done when the DLM keeps setting too aggressive a target but up until know I have only seen 6dB being fixed to stop it dropping to 3dB
With respect to the situation here - and I don't have any facts to justify this - a line where there are major drops in noise margin over night or even at some times during the day due to rein might need it if the cause can't be found
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to