User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User planman
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 15:26:20
Print Post

Madasafish to Plusnet initial connection fast now slowing

[link to this post]

I was first on Freenetname and eventually was transferred to Madasafish but the connection became much slower over the years initially at 4.16 Mbps in 2008 but decreased to 1.13 Mbps in December 2014, which needed to be improved.

Contacted Plusnet regarding moving over to them and was informed it was an easy transfer and my existing email accounts could remain under Madasafish which was one of my main concerns.

Made the change in February 2015 with Plusnet unlimited service on ADSL2+ with all going well and seamless email change.

My initial connection download speed was 7.51 Mbps, which was a great improvement but as the months have draw on this has decreased to my current connection speed of 5.49 Mbps, there has been no change so far as I am aware to my plug in connection so I must assume there is a restriction of traffic at my telephone exchange.

I have used the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test and the results are 5.59 Mbps download and 0.87 upload Ping at 44.75 performed at 3.00pm 13th February 2016.

I have recently exchanged the Thomson router for an ASUS DSL-N55U, which I hoped, would improve the speed but no difference except for a solid connection with no reboot for the last three days

I wonder if any of the Plusnet workers could look into my connection speed as I feel the line requires a reset or what ever you do to improve it?

Should any other members have any advice it would be appreciated but no technical gobbledygook as I am no computer wiz kid?

John
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 15:38:59
Print Post

Re: Madasafish to Plusnet initial connection fast now slowin

[re: planman] [link to this post]

What do you get from the "Further Diagnostics" on the BT Wholesale test? This will give you your IP profile (IP Profile for your line is - xxx Mbps). What do you get for your Current Line Speed - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer... (login required)

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64500/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User planman
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 15:45:58
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hope this is what you wanted?

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
5.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.58 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.84 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.84Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User planman
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 15:50:00
Print Post

Sorry you requested this as well.
Plusnet information
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
5.8 Mb
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 16:13:15
Print Post

OK, that all confirms that the download speed you are getting is what you would expect from your IP profile (which is derived from your sync speed) so the question is why has it reduced? Have you tried connecting directly to the test socket behind the lower part of the faceplate (assuming you have one)?

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User planman
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 16:26:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
OK, that all confirms that the download speed you are getting is what you would expect from your IP profile (which is derived from your sync speed) so the question is why has it reduced? Have you tried connecting directly to the test socket behind the lower part of the faceplate (assuming you have one)?

Thanks for your understanding of the connection info I have sent.
I am connected directly to the test socket, which is in my upstairs office wired by BT in about 2007 so reasonably new.
I feel the problem is at the exchange connection, as my wiring has not changed
John
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-16 16:37:04
Print Post

OK, you'll probably have to get onto Plusnet then, you might get a response here but certainly not at the weekend. It's probably worth going through the troubleshooter at https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults - most of it is tedious but at the end of it all you get to raise a fault.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User planman
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-16 16:53:19
Print Post

Thanks for your help I should have posted this query on Monday with a better chance of a Plusnet guy to read I will leave it until Monday to go through the trouble-shooter and hopefully get help there.
John
Standard User ChrisAO
(regular) Tue 16-Feb-16 07:28:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by planman:
I am connected directly to the test socket, which is in my upstairs office wired by BT in about 2007 so reasonably new.
John
Hi there.
This may seem a bit pedantic, but were you connected to the test socket when the drop in speed occurred? This could be significant. If you weren't, and plugged into the normal socket, do you have any other extension sockets, or connect the modem/router with any phone extension leads?
Could you also post the DSL stats - sync speeds, noise margin (SNRM) & attenuation and preferably including any CRC and ES error figures.
Can you also do a Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2, see if you can hear any crackles or other noises on the line.

ChrisAO
Plusnet customer since June 2003.
Standard User planman
(newbie) Tue 16-Feb-16 10:19:08
Print Post

[re: ChrisAO] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ChrisAO:
In reply to a post by planman:
John
Hi there.
This may seem a bit pedantic, but were you connected to the test socket when the drop in speed occurred? This could be significant. If you weren't, and plugged into the normal socket, do you have any other extension sockets, or connect the modem/router with any phone extension leads?
Could you also post the DSL stats - sync speeds, noise margin (SNRM) & attenuation and preferably including any CRC and ES error figures.
Can you also do a Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2, see if you can hear any crackles or other noises on the line.

Chris,

Thanks for your reply and queries and you are not being pedantic.

The upstairs socket is the only BT socket in the house and my connection has been from the plug test socket with the face removed to expose it this has been connected like this since 2007 so no change.

I have done the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 and there are no crackles or other noises but if I switch to speakerphone with my ear to the loudspeaker the is a very slight hum.

My DSL stats are as follows taken from the ASUS DSL-N55U ADSL Log below.
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 28012341
Lan Rx : 14108431
ADSL Tx : 5521329
ADSL Rx : 10935662
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 250
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 45681
HEC Down : 2303
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 6.3
SNR Down : 6.6
Line Attenuation Up : 23.1
Line Attenuation Down : 44.0
Data Rate Up : 1123
Data Rate Down : 6650

Hope this is what you require if not please ask again.

The decrease in speed is not effecting my browsing that much perhaps a slight time lag in updating a web page and my Netflix still buffers with out reloading but it is that feeling if my original speed has degraded by 2.0 Mbps within one year will it continue to loose connection speed in the future, better to ask now if there is something wrong and get it looked into and fixed.

I have bye the way used the Plusnet Trouble-shooter to register my concerns.

John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to