User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User codsallandy
(newbie) Tue 01-Mar-16 17:55:27
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre Upload Speed

[link to this post]

I currently have Unlimited BT Infinity 1 Fibre.My usual Download speed is 37Mb and Upload is around 6 to 6.2MB.
I don't do any online gaming.
I am considering a move to Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre Broadband when my BT contract ends. Plusnet's speed estimate for my line is up to 38- 40Mb Download and 1.9Mb Upload.
Am I right to assume that as Plusnet is BT owned and presumably uses the same infrastructure I can expect about the same reliability as my current BT service? Also in practical day to day terms am I likely to notice any significant difference between BT's 6Mb upload speed and Plusnet's 1.9Mb?
Very grateful for any advice from those who have made the BT Fibre to Plusnet move.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Mar-16 19:42:56
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre Upload Speed

[re: codsallandy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by codsallandy:
Am I right to assume that as Plusnet is BT owned and presumably uses the same infrastructure I can expect about the same reliability as my current BT service?
Sorta, although it has little to do with them being owned by BT. For FTTC all ISPs are using the same infrastructure as far as the modem connection is concerned. So regardless of ISP you should get the same connection speed. After that PN's network is effectively different and separate to that of BT's so performance of the two is unconnected.
Also in practical day to day terms am I likely to notice any significant difference between BT's 6Mb upload speed and Plusnet's 1.9Mb?
Probably not but you should be aware that the only reason PN is only 2Mb/s is because that's the limit of the package they are choosing to sell people. Your line can do better and personally I think it's a shame not to avail yourself of that.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 01-Mar-16 19:43:56)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Mar-16 23:28:44
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

PN upload of limit 2 Meg is pretty stupid for superfast broadband. Ofcom should banned this!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Mar-16 23:50:57
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Ofcom should banned this!
Not OFCOM business but rather the end users/customers who are free to go with whichever ISP they wish and they can choose one offering a potentially higher upload rate if that is their need. Based on your statement most TalkTalk FTTC should be banned. OFCOM or ASA should only intervene if FTTC is being mis-sold or the advertising doesn't make it clear what speeds are being offered.
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 07:27:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I'm one of those happy folk who's on the older PN 40/20 package.My line actually syncs at 80/20 but PN throttle download to 40. This package didn't make business sense for PN so it was withdrawn for new customers. PN were paying Openreach for 80/20 but selling at a 40 price.

If you upload a lot of big files to dropboax etc then you'll notice the speed drop. Otherwise it won't matter. By big I mean 100MB+ so a few photos don't matter but if you're sending a lot of big RAW or video files then you'll notice.

I agree with others who say that 40/2 is a pretty daft arrangement but it's the current business model for low cost fibre. In a year's time who knows what the entry level fibre offering will be. Possibly 80/20 will be basic and there will be something much faster for those who pay more.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-16 08:32:15
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ppppenguin99:
I'm one of those happy folk who's on the older PN 40/20 package.

Me too and I get a fairly consistent 36-37Mbps download. I also get a consistent upload speed but always around 6Mbps frown - I manage fairly well with that but I have wondered from time to time why I don't get closer to what it should be. I certainly won't make any changes to my contract that would mean me dropping to 2Mbps so it might mean moving when my contract finishes as I'm on a retention deal and the discount presumably will end.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 08:47:29
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ppppenguin99:
I agree with others who say that 40/2 is a pretty daft arrangement but it's the current business model for low cost fibre. In a year's time who knows what the entry level fibre offering will be. Possibly 80/20 will be basic and there will be something much faster for those who pay more.

I'm on 80/20 and I get 50 / 9 and I really USE my 9 meg upload. I cannot understand why the 40/10 wholesale option isn't used by PN and TT and instead they've gone for the 40/2 - missing the point where high speed internet means that people do actually like sharing pictures and video.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 09:11:04
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Depends on what people need!

Personally I'm quite happy with 2Mbps upload speed as don't upload much.

No point in paying more for something one doesn't need, or use, just to boast about higher speeds

plusnet usergroup member cool
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Mar-16 09:48:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not everyone wants to share large amounts of information so why pay for the privilege?

If you transport large items around the country you buy a big vehicle, if you're on your own and don't carry passengers then a very small economical car is suitable (if that's what you want).

It's horses for courses and everyone needs to work out how they use the internet. Large downloads AND uploads or just downloads.

I personally have a mean download speed of 14mbps and upload of 0.9mbps. More than enough for my occasional picture upload.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User codsallandy
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-16 10:22:11
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

A big thank you to Andrue and all those who have shone some light on the 2Mb upload limit. I am retired and am trying to find an acceptable level of performance and reliability at a price I can afford.It sounds from what everyone has said that while in principle it would be nice to use my lines full capabilities the reality is that I'm not going to notice much difference for general web surfing and emailing and I'll have a few pounds a month to spend on other things!
Thanks everyone.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to