User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sun 13-Mar-16 11:05:33
Print Post

Loss of Speed - Fibre

[link to this post]

Why do these things always happen on a weekend:
Since joining Plusnet a couple of years ago I have not really had any problems, occasional small drops in line speed, which has normally been reset by pulling the plug early in the morning and on Friday my connection speeds were 73464/20000 with Line Att 13db.

Yesterday about midday I got an email from my router saying that it had got a reconnection so looked to see and the speed was 39492/15360 with Line Att 21db - yikes!!! (SNR on the down had gone up by 1db to 7)

Pulled the plug last night and reconnected this morning - still the same, so went on to the Chat Line to report it, hopefully it will be a fault in the Cabinet which can be fixed.

Alex on the Chat Line was very helpful seeing as I have a non-standard set up (Fritz 7390) said it would be passed up the line and I should hear something within 72 hours

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 78.2/20 Mb/s SamKnows Avg 65.69/19.14 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Mar-16 13:23:55
Print Post

Re: Loss of Speed - Fibre

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Given the large jump in attenuation (which DLM systems don't affect) suggests a physical wiring change or a fault condition.

Does an old fashioned landline phone work on the line now?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sun 13-Mar-16 13:47:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I get a dial tone okay, but it does look like there is a problem, anything I try to call goes straight to engaged tone even 17070

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 78.2/20 Mb/s SamKnows Avg 65.69/19.14 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/049baa48c1f...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Mar-16 16:24:47
Print Post

Unplug everything broadband related including microfilters, and plug just a phone into the test socket and see if the fault reproduces itself, if so then contact who ever is the voice line rental provider and report a voice fault (don't confuse issues by mentioning the broadband side of things).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sun 13-Mar-16 16:32:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, unfortunately as per my initial note, I had already reported it to PN, I have since added a note to the file that the phone doesn't work either, so will just have to wait and see what happens, hopefully I may get some response tomorrow, when full staff are back to work

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:09:09
Print Post

As Andrew has said, best to play down loss of broadband in favour of loss of phone.

If you don't already use it you can attract attention to your problem by posting on PlusNet community forum.

Don't add to ticket you've already started as doing so can often delay response

plusnet usergroup member cool
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:22:42
Print Post

[re: nadger] [link to this post]

As I said yesterday, the ticket was opened, I had already added to it, so I would rather leave it as is at the moment, opening another ticket might confuse things further, it's the only major outage I have suffered since joining them so if nothing is forthcoming then I will action it further

Let's give PN the chance of getting things fixed first.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User ffox
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:45:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by nadger:
Don't add to ticket you've already started as doing so can often delay response

I believe this was fixed in February last year. It shouldn't delay things now.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Technicolor TG582n , St Ives Cambs (EMSTIVE)
(committed) Thu 17-Mar-16 15:43:19
Print Post

Quick Update, as of an hour ago, my Internet is back up to full speed, I can receive calls, but at the moment, I still cannot make calls - they may still be working on the problem.

It appears that some dippy on the underground team had spliced the cable wrongly, thereby disconnecting me partially, had normal OR engineer yesterday and he couldn't understand how they had done it, but had to wait for underground team to come out today to sort it.

If outgoing calls still a problem later will have to add it to the ticket - but at least I can now receive calls and speed back to normal.

Bob WRBRIX
  Print Thread

Jump to