User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User edwinbradford
(learned) Sun 10-Apr-16 22:22:43
Print Post

Internet frequently hanging

[link to this post]

My Plusnet internet keeps hanging recently. It's been happening for a couple of weeks. It tends to hang for around 30 seconds before loading the page contents. I'm not sure whether the connection is dropping or simply slowing to a crawl.

Can anyone tell me if my ADSL logs show any signs of a problem?

Update Counter : 69
Modulation : 4
Annex Mode : Annex A
Line State : 3
Lan Tx : 1763
Lan Rx : 906
ADSL Tx : 556
ADSL Rx : 650
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 7.1
SNR Down : 10.0
Line Attenuation Up : 10.4
Line Attenuation Down : 16.0
Data Rate Up : 1008
Data Rate Down : 15349
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Apr-16 00:30:04
Print Post

Re: Internet frequently hanging

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

Are you running Kaspersky Internet Security?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-16 09:57:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As I have used that for years and never had that problem can you point to someone else reporting that

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Apr-16 11:04:20
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

It's a Kaspersky thing (I should have realised this earlier, as the problem started after I'd updated to Kaspersky "Total Security" 2016). It injects a piece of Javascript in every web page browsed by Firefox or Chrome, of this form, every ?200 milliseconds
Link.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-16 11:16:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks
The odd thing is that it appears to be included in Internet Security since version 15.02 but I have never seen the problem
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-16 11:27:12
Print Post

See if this helps at all:- https://www.whatsmydns.net/flush-dns.html

plusnet user
(learned) Wed 04-May-16 20:31:00
Print Post

Resurrecting this thread as the connection is getting worse. My internet now disconnects daily in the evenings when I'm home for up to five minutes at a time several times each day before reconnecting either by itself or through my rebooting the router.

I'm getting the message "PPPoE or PPPoA authentication failed". My router is an Asus DSL-N12U in case it's useful. I've been in touch with Plusnet who just redirected me to their fault reporting tool. On completion of the tool I wasn't sure what the status was or whether they plan to take any action or are even monitoring my line.

Their tool said they were aware the line had been dropping at least twice a day and they will bill me if they send out an engineer and it is my fault.. blah... blah.. smells like B.T. Openreach again.

Any ideas how I should trouble shoot this? I flushed the DNS cache is suggested in the last post but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. I'm finally out of the minimum contract period with Plusnet and overall I haven't been very impressed and I can now switch supplier if I want without a penalty.

Thanks everyone.
(learned) Thu 05-May-16 08:51:49
Print Post

I just received an email from Plusnet saying they were going to turn on interleaving to try to increase stability. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
  Print Thread

Jump to