User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Fri 29-Apr-16 11:52:23
Print Post

Transit Problem

[link to this post]

After a reboot of my router following a doubling of latency, I was unable to connect to thinkbroadband.com. Tracert showed the problem appeared to be at the hand over point from Plusnet to lonap-gw1.thdo.ncuk.net. Only thinkbroadband.com was affected. Other sites worked fine.

After hop four which was inside the PN system, everything was timing out. Two further router reboots resolved the problem.

4 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms xe-5-3-0.ptw-cr02.plus.net [212.159.0.110]
Timed out from here until another couple of router reboots.
5 31 ms 29 ms 29 ms lonap-gw1.thdo.ncuk.net [5.57.80.142]

Doubling of latency, and dropping IP Profile are probably not related, but ongoing problems.

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-16 14:23:31
Print Post

Re: Transit Problem

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wingco1:
After a reboot of my router following a doubling of latency, I was unable to connect to thinkbroadband.com. Tracert showed the problem appeared to be at the hand over point from Plusnet to lonap-gw1.thdo.ncuk.net. Only thinkbroadband.com was affected. Other sites worked fine.

After hop four which was inside the PN system, everything was timing out. Two further router reboots resolved the problem.

4 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms xe-5-3-0.ptw-cr02.plus.net [212.159.0.110]
Timed out from here until another couple of router reboots.
5 31 ms 29 ms 29 ms lonap-gw1.thdo.ncuk.net [5.57.80.142]

Doubling of latency, and dropping IP Profile are probably not related, but ongoing problems.

If Plusnet connects directly to Netconnex, that's peering, not transit.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Fri 29-Apr-16 14:34:26
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

OK. Either way it was flaky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Sat 30-Apr-16 00:25:09
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Rebooting your router just to change IP address is not generally the best way to go about it. Most routers have a "Disconnect" button in the GUI which morphs in to a "Connect" button when the PPP Session is down.
Reconnecting via the router's interface should prevent any likely DLM interference with your line rate.
You may, of course, know this already...

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet on FTTC since 28/05/2014 and loving it... I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 30-Apr-16 10:39:44
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

Cheers.

Print Thread

Jump to