User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mariegriff64
(newbie) Wed 11-May-16 10:41:28
Print Post

Internet Disconnecting Every Few Days

[link to this post]

For the last few weeks I've had trouble with not being able to connect to the internet but as soon as I swop out a router it works for a few days, and then that router goes off and I have to swop out again. On the Plusnet router it was showing a red light, so phoned up plusnet and they said the line was fine, but they'll do some checks, in the meantime I switched routers again, and the internet worked. This keeps happening, over and over again. I've also noticed that when the internet is going down my uploads speed drops to about 0.5 I'm on 80Mbs down 20Mbps up.
Last week it went down again, so Plusnet said they'd send me a new router, plugged the new router in on Saturday, and on Sunday the internet went down, phoned up Plusnet and they said they could see my internet was disconnected, so they agreed to send out an engineer. In the meantime I swopped routers again, and my internet came on.
Openreach Engineer came yesterday, but couldn't find any fault, but moved my Master Socket next to my hub/router etc, a very nice man.
Last night about 9 hours after the enginner came, the internet dsconnected again, this time the upload speed was 0.2Mbs, so I'm convinced it must have something to do with this, but I haven't got a clue what is happenng and why when I swop out routers the internet works for a few days and then goes off again.
Any help or advice, much apprecated and thanks for reading
Marie
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 11-May-16 12:09:36
Print Post

Re: Internet Disconnecting Every Few Days

[re: mariegriff64] [link to this post]

When this happens, is the downstream still in sync as well as the low upstream? Is that low upstream the sync, or is something actually going through at that speed?

What I'm trying to establish is whether you are still connected to the cabinet and it is further into the BT Wholesale/Plusnet system the failure is occurring, or whether it is between you and the cabinet.

When swapping routers, are you also swapping the power cable/plug, DSL cable and any ethernet cables?

Are connecting wired or wirelessly to the router?

Finally, at a guess you have an Openreach modem? Or did you join after those were withdrawn from new issue?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Wed 11-May-16 14:18:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, the down stream seems fine, I've become an expert at knowing now when it's going to disconnect, because the internet slows to a crawl, ie can't load pages etc and then my up speed goes so low and it disconnects.

All I change when I swap routers, is my power supply, and I never thought of changing anything else, ethernet cable etc,( I must try that next time,)

Yes, I have a Openreach modem, I've also checked that when my line is going down, and the 3 green lights are all on.

And my router/modem are next to the master socket, so no interference from extensions etc.

Thanks for your reply, I'm completely baffled by this one, especially when I can swap routers and the new one works fine for a while.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Wed 11-May-16 14:33:15
Print Post

I had a rock solid line, until I believe, G,inp (whatever that is) was enabled on my line. I contacted PN about it and they were worse than useless. However, my router is now reporting that G.inp is now no longer active and my line has stabilised again. Not sure if that could be a problem with you?

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
(newbie) Wed 11-May-16 14:45:11
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

When the engineer came yesterday he said my line tested at 72Mbps and that everything was okay. But he didn't like that my master socket was in the hall, so he changed the drop line and installed a new master socket next to my modem/router, he was one of the best engineers I've ever had, very nice and friendly, although he couldn't help with my disconnections..lol

As for G,inp never heard of that, and how would i know if it was enabled?

Thanks for the reply

Marie
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-May-16 14:47:30
Print Post

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm

Just incase it comes back again smile

plusnet user
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Wed 11-May-16 15:04:36
Print Post

I don't know what it is or what it does, but apparently BT are rolling it out across the network and it has been causing issues. I have a Billion router that shows when it is on, not sure if the PN router has the ability in the stats to report it.

Mark

http://www.holidayalmeria.co.uk - Holiday apartment website
http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-May-16 17:43:27
Print Post

Plug in one router, stick with that one router. When it goes offline ring PN and raise a fault, with it offline.It is their job to fix it. Remember most users only have one router, not multiple, hence this would normally get reported as a fault right away by the majority of households.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 11-May-16 17:43:56)

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-May-16 17:59:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Discus:
I don't know what it is or what it does,

The link in the immediately preceding post explains what it is and what it does.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 66999/19999 at approx 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
(newbie) Wed 11-May-16 19:10:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi
This wasn't the first time I had called PlusNet with the same fault, but they decided it was my router, so they sent me their new shiney one, which I plugged in on Saturday, have you seen the new one with all the flashing lights, it was like a Christmas tree on Sunday, Green, Blue, Orange, and then back to Blue, Green, Orange, occasional red and then finally Orange and it stayed on that one.

So, I left it off on Sunday when I phoned PlusNet so that they could see that my line wasn't connected to the internet, but unfortunately I have an autistic son and he get's pretty upset and agitated when the internet goes down, and he certainly couldn't wait until Tuesday for the engineer to call.

But I know what you mean about leaving it off, but I just couldn't do that

Thanks for your reply
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to