User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LFa
(learned) Tue 14-Jun-16 07:58:59
Print Post

Changed broadband username on Plusnet Hub One

[link to this post]

I was very surprised to find yesterday that the username shown on my router had changed from abc@plusdsl.net to xyz@plusdsl.net. I have had the router for six months and the router was set up for user abc and has always shown abc as the username to date.

I have reset the router in the last few days, which involved re-entering my password, so I can't understand how the username was changed. I phoned Plusnet support and they couldn't explain what had happened. Can anyone here help, please? Should I be concerned?

Edited by LFa (Tue 14-Jun-16 07:59:46)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 14-Jun-16 08:10:24
Print Post

Re: Changed broadband username on Plusnet Hub One

[re: LFa] [link to this post]

Plusnet use TR-069 for remote management, so it may be a mis-configuration their end which gave your router the wrong username.
https://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/T...

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User brush
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-16 08:31:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Plusnet use TR-069 for remote management, so it may be a mis-configuration their end which gave your router the wrong username.
https://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/T...

If you've switched off remote access can they still get into the device?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 14-Jun-16 08:33:00
Print Post

[re: brush] [link to this post]

Yes they access it from the WAN not your LAN

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jun-16 09:33:40
Print Post

Did it connect with the xyz username?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-16 11:57:30
Print Post

The Plusnet Hub One is a fully managed device, that means the ISP has full control to perform firmware upgrades and make configuration changes as they require. This cannot be disabled.

The ISP also will not release details of what each firmware upgrade changes. The changes they make are effectively a black box, but are designed to ensure the service continues to function whilst you are with the ISP.
Standard User LFa
(learned) Tue 14-Jun-16 14:35:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

"Did it connect with the xyz username? "

Yes, that's the odd thing.
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Tue 14-Jun-16 14:42:50
Print Post

As long as user xyz isn't connected then you will be able to connect. The Radius system (Plusnet Login Servers) will get confused when the real xyz tries to connect and reject them. Then the fun starts.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 14-Jun-16 15:23:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by LFa:
"Did it connect with the xyz username? "

Yes, that's the odd thing.
That was me, not BatBoy tongue.

What if you literally try the letters xyz@plusdsl.net?

I'm wondering two alternative things.

1) It was originally set up by person xyz who decided he didn't like it and reverted to his previous router. This has been known. Unlikely in this case, but possible.

2) The same piece of kit (badged as a Home Hub ver 5A) when used on BT needs only a dummy username and any or no password. This isn't inherently because of the router, but because the BT Consumer system picks up on the line number I believe. I wonder if you are on their new network and that works the same way, but they are keeping/publishing old-style usernames to keep it simple for support staff until everyone is on the new one.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-16 18:11:34
Print Post

I am tipping PN are switching over to the same system used by BT, as RobertoS has suggested.

Effectively one u/n used by all customers and the pw is either blank, or just a standardised one.

The authentication occurs outside of the UN/PW.

Would make sense given the hub you have is just a BT Homehub 5A.

Just basically saying I agree with point 2 of RobertoS post.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to