User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jun-16 13:33:17
Print Post

Low Wifi signal

[link to this post]

Recently we have been having problems with weak wifi signal at the far end of the house from the router. For ages the signal was great and just as good as if you were sitting near it.

Our Fire TV stick has recently been reporting weak signals from the wifi.

We are using the original Netgear WNR1000 we had when we took out our fibre. The white Thomson box never had great signal.

Is it worth getting a new router or updating the FW on the WNR1000?

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jun-16 16:27:48
Print Post

Re: Low Wifi signal

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

You might just need to change the wireless channel, someone nearby might have setup a connection on the same channel that could be causing some interference.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jun-16 17:09:52
Print Post

A router with more physical antennas would give better signal strength.

Most likely a close neighbour has just got a wifi router.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jun-16 17:24:16
Print Post

Try a wireless channel change. Otherwise, get in touch with PlusNet and request their HubOne, it is a rebranded BT Homehub 5A and the range will be a lot better than your existing router.

If that fails, get a wireless repeater such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-RE355-Universal-Ext...
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Fri 24-Jun-16 06:09:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Rather than just guessing about channel sharing, install an app on your phone or laptop so you can see channel usage. I use this on my Android phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fa...

I have sorted out several people's wifi problems using this. The "auto" channel assignment that is the default on most routers isn't very effective. I would have hoped it sniffed around and used the freeest channel but judging by what I've seen that just isn't true.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jun-16 08:19:28
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

I assume that is to the OP as I already know that.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jun-16 09:56:01
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

Often this is misleading, since devices will choose 1, 6 and 11... People get an app such as this, and choose channel 3 as it appears to be free & screw up the spectrum for everybody following the standard convention.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 24-Jun-16 09:57:39)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jun-16 10:02:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The problem is wifi access points tend to choose busy channels from my experience. The problem then with manually setting is that you set it to a channel that is currently clear and 5 minutes later a neighbours router may jump to overlap it.

I have been asked to go over to a friends because their wifi is performing poorly (and someone they know told them it was because of their ADSL filter!!!). I will hunt down a free channel and set it on that which will probably fix it but what's the betting a neighbours device will flip over to it automatically and the problem will be back.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-16 13:01:10
Print Post

has the aerial on the netgear been moved? maybe folded flat instead of upright?
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jun-16 17:18:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Have the same problem with a Talk talk router next door, constantly follows my wifi signal, which then annoys my son on his laptop in his room.

manually change the wifi channel using a wifi analyzer as a test tool.

Steve
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to