User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Sat 25-Jun-16 12:19:47
Print Post

Plusnet fibre upload speeds

[link to this post]

My partner is looking to migrate away from Plusnet, a number of reasons such as DNS issues, loss of connectivity, etc, and migrating to fibre.

Now Plusnet are trying to tempt her to stay with an "upgrade" to 76mb fibre. However, the CS will or, or perhaps cannot, confirm the upstream speed of their 76mb package.

Anyone know if it is 2mb, 10mb, 20mb, or 'random(!)'?

Many thanks

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Jun-16 13:53:24
Print Post

Re: Plusnet fibre upload speeds

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

up to 20 as it is the 80/20 package
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sat 25-Jun-16 16:28:53
Print Post

As Oldjim says up to 20

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Jun-16 16:41:55
Print Post

Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line, with up to 76Mb download speed and 19Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre Extra, and up to 38Mb download speed and 1.9Mb upload speeds on Unlimited Fibre. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day.
Plusnet webpage, (and several other pages), scroll down to "> Here's the legal bit".

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jun-16 17:06:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

For me its around 18.5mbs.

Download is disappointing, in saving £10 by leaving BT my speed dropped 7mbs (65mbs rather than 72 with BT).

Steve
Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-16 17:14:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've just had a conversation with Plusnet, renewed my contract and fitted the new Hub One router this morning, went to upload some stuff to my son in Amsterdam and noticed the slow speed, ran a test and where I wsa previously getting between 12-14mb I'm now getting 1.9mb.

Plusnet not very helpful saying that's the way fibre is provided, me saying well it certainly wasn't for the last 18 months and I'd like my speed back. They're putting through a "modify order" to see if it can be put back again but didn't seem very hopeful.

As I upload stuff quite a lot is there another provider who doesn't cap fibre at 2m upload anyone can recommend?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's room for all of Gods creatures ...... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jun-16 18:35:41
Print Post

[re: jeff1106uk] [link to this post]

Of the big well-known providers only TalkTalk also provide the 40/2 product. All the others have 10 or 20 upstream depending on the downstream ordered.

What TalkTalk Business Wholesale ISPs can provide I don't know, but have a feeling it is normally 10Mbps upstream on the slower downstream.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 19:02:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by jeff1106uk:
Plusnet not very helpful saying that's the way fibre is provided, me saying well it certainly wasn't for the last 18 months and I'd like my speed back. They're putting through a "modify order" to see if it can be put back again but didn't seem very hopeful.
Well there's a complicated story behind this. Historically PN have sold the following packages:

80/20, 40/20, 40/10 and 40/2

40/20 and 40/10 stopped being available to new customers some time ago (June 2015 for 40/10, not sure about 40/20 but it went first). Existing customers (like you) were unaffected. However PN appear to be going through a tidy-up session and have migrated some customers onto 40/2 who should not have been. The good news is that PN should rectify this for you.

The bad news is that they have announced just this week that all 40Mb/s customers are going to be transferred to a 55/10 package regardless of contract. Affected customers will be getting an email explaining this and telling them they are free to leave (no contract termination fee).

So the simple answer to you is: Tough. You will very soon be on 55/10 (up to... of course). If you want more than 10Mb/s upload your only option is to go to their 80/20 service. Even that may not be available to you however since PN won't accept orders for 80/20 unless the estimate for your line shows that you can comfortably get over 40Mb/s. It's possible this may change in the hope that they get a few people to upgrade.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 29-Jun-16 19:03:29)

Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-16 21:58:18
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

My original contract was for 76mb, unfortunately after a few months of getting around 60mb Openreach connected my next door neighbour and mine dropped to 8mb!. Eventually after 3 engineers visits (as next doors was even worse than mine) it's now around 35mb, Openreach being unable to improve on this without some new lines being installed kindly down-graded the line estimate from 76mb to 38mb so it now appears that I'm getting the fastest connection possible so therefore no problem exists.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's room for all of Gods creatures ...... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jun-16 23:59:11
Print Post

There have been an awful lot of estimates downgraded after the service degrades like yours. Quite appalling.

As a side issue, I don't think Andrue has it right about being upgraded to 55/10, which would have helped your upstream. As I read the changes on September 1 it is only those on 40/20 who are getting that move.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Jun-16 00:00:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to