User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 15:35:30
Print Post

Re: Plusnet confirm Price changes for 1st September 2016

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I spoke to Plusnet today and they were not prepared to offer anything at the moment.

They offered 76/20 at an extra £5.00 per month.

I cancelled my BT mobile contract a few months ago and they were trying to persuade me to transfer phone/fibre. I rang them back and asked what they could offer -£29.98 - but, they wanted an £49.95 activation fee even though I was already on fibre. BT are offering £100.00 reward card so I would be getting back £50.05 at the end of the day.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jun-16 15:39:26
Print Post

You don't need to renew anything. You just revert to monthly contract. Simples.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 17:52:43
Print Post

[re: Fairoaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fairoaks:
I spoke to Plusnet today and they were not prepared to offer anything at the moment.

They offered 76/20 at an extra £5.00 per month.

I cancelled my BT mobile contract a few months ago and they were trying to persuade me to transfer phone/fibre. I rang them back and asked what they could offer -£29.98 - but, they wanted an £49.95 activation fee even though I was already on fibre. BT are offering £100.00 reward card so I would be getting back £50.05 at the end of the day.

That is another scam, the set up fee, when the last provider I was with charge me £50, i got something for it, I had a module that was put on my roof and wired in, they was on the roof in pouring rain and thunder. I can understand the providers charging something for connection on the first connection, certainly when I first came onto FTTC as they fitted a new faceplate, and set up the modem. Now with self install, all they have to do is get someone to go to the box and muck around with some cables and fibre. £15 connection fee is more than enough.
I do understand this is a BTOR fee and not a provider fee, just shows that we the public keeps getting ripped time and time again. Also this fee stops people from changing that often as it would cost them more than they save.

Companies think we are thick and we can't see though it, the problem is there is very little we can do.

BT are pretty expensive and anyway I do not think I can cope with BT indian call centres again and i did tell them when I left they can stuff their service where the sun don't shine.
I know Plusnet is owned by Bt, but at least they are separate.

Thing is who do you go for?

choice is not that great and all the large providers are more or less the same price and suffer from naff customer service. you go for a smaller provider and yes customer service may be better, but the service itself is no different, it is still on naff BT network and you pay more for the same.

Which ever way you look at it we are screwed and normally are.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 17:53:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You don't need to renew anything. You just revert to monthly contract. Simples.

i am not going to renew anything, I will keep things as they are and look for a different provider.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 18:14:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I can understand the providers charging something for connection on the first connection, certainly when I first came onto FTTC as they fitted a new faceplate, and set up the modem. Now with self install, all they have to do is get someone to go to the box and muck around with some cables and fibre. £15 connection fee is more than enough.

If you are migrating a existing live FTTC service (like for like, same product and address )
BT OR charge providers £11 = Vat for this and haven't charged £50 since Dec 2014

And they do not hold the provider to a 12mth min term contract either if the customer has had an active FTTC service for 12months already

So Plusnet are taking the urine on both contract length and set up fee , That's due to all these offers for new customers

Also there is no engineering work required at the street cab for ( like for like )FTTC migrations

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 29-Jun-16 18:19:40)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 19:08:19
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

So Plusnet are taking the urine on both contract length and set up fee , That's due to all these offers for new customers

Also there is no engineering work required at the street cab for ( like for like )FTTC migrations
It was BT who wanted to charge a £49.95 activation fee if Fairoaks were to move to them from Plusnet.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 19:42:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Cheap, really?
Yes. Of course we don't know what the UK telecoms landscape would be like if BT had never been spun off but we can make reasonable assumptions based on the known performance of the Post Office. It would be more expensive. We'd probably still be in the middle of an ADSL roll-out and we'd have a limited choice of routers available to us that we have to rent.

Left in the hands of a government agency it would be an expensive, underperforming and out-dated service. They always are.

But even if you refuse to compare against a hypothetical scenario the truth is that UK broadband is still some of the cheapest in the world.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2013/03/12/broadband-prices/

The way CPs are pulling everything into Line Rental is irritating but in practice doesn't really mean much. It's unlikely it would make much difference even they chose to break the charges down in a more reasonable way. CPs are not making money hand over fist. Most are struggle to make a profit which is multi-play is so popular.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 29-Jun-16 19:44:58)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 20:51:23
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:

It was BT who wanted to charge a £49.95 activation fee if Fairoaks were to move to them from Plusnet.
And they are just as bad, Plusnet do charge a £50 installation fee, for non installation unless you allow them to rip you off on the line rental and calls
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Wed 29-Jun-16 21:22:59
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

They call it an 'Activation' fee. Quidco cashback more than covered it for me.
Standard User jb66
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-16 08:50:41
Print Post

[re: Fairoaks] [link to this post]

You would be crazy not to leave. You can get £100 gift card from BT and a better infinity 1 speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to