User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Mon 27-Jun-16 16:49:06
Print Post

Plusnet confirm Price changes for 1st September 2016

[link to this post]

Details at Plusnet Price Increase 2016

Edit to change title correctly , I misread the news release, sorry.

Edited by georgelnx (Mon 27-Jun-16 18:03:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Jun-16 17:10:11
Print Post

Re: Plusnet confirm Price changes for 1st September 2016

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Bad news for anyone on 40/20 if the upstream matters to them.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-16 17:16:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I am waiting to see if I can downgrade from 80/20 to 55/10 as that will make a big change to the retention argument

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 27-Jun-16 18:12:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Bad news for anyone on 40/20 if the upstream matters to them.

I'm on 40/20 but always get around 37/7 so chances are I won't see any difference.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jun-16 20:10:14
Print Post

Well that will be me gone then, my contract ends in August, I can not get 38Mb/s, so putting the download speed up and upload speed down, not that I get that good a upload speed anyway is any good to me. once again we are being ripped off with line rental increasing in price, it is about time, it is about time something was done about this by our so called government.

LINE RENTAL IS A RIP OFF. It increases in price and we get less for it now than we did a few years back, at least a few years back we had call packages in it.
If it was not got broadband BT and the other telecoms companies would go bankrupt because no one would need a land line.

I been on the verge of leaving plusnet anyway, this have just tip the balance.

May even go back to ADSL on the cheapest deal I can find and cope with that.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-16 20:38:46
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The government are a bit preoccupied with the disaster they've created.

In all seriousness though you're right, line rental is getting silly. However even with this Plusnet's pricing on broadband isn't that bad. If the 55/10 was available to all at £15 it would be perfect.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Mon 27-Jun-16 21:05:33
Print Post

And you cannot even say that Plusnet gives you a decent billing system for phones either. My biggest complaint when I used their landline was that the call details is sent across at least 24 hours afterwards and Plusnet remove any details of calls to 0800 numbers so hard to get records for when you called someone after the event.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Mon 27-Jun-16 21:35:57
Print Post

I don't think any phone provider lists freephone numbers on bills - BT Forum as there is a EU directive - I recall ChildLine going 0800 so calls wouldn't show up on bill

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 27-Jun-16 21:44:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
Details at Plusnet Price Increase 2016

Edit to change title correctly , I misread the news release, sorry.

Dammit, I just paid early termination, I could have gotten out for free!
Standard User iannewson
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-16 23:06:46
Print Post

Currnetly paying £9.99 a month for just ADSL (no line rental) but cant see a reference for any price increase for that? am I reading it wrong?

Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted) - Market 2/3
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 08:04:37
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

TBH, the price is disgusting, but since it is BT that puts the base price of line rental up the rest have to follow, this is the problem with having a private company running the phone network.
We need naked DSL, but I expect they will put the price up of broadband to cover it.

I really am looking now at if paying for fibre is worth it, if I had a good 10Mb/s on ADSL, I may have stayed with ADSL anyway. The last time I was on ADSL I could get 3.5Mbn/s if I was lucky, but to be honest, Netflix worked with that ok as long as I did not do anything else. Not sure how well Now Tv would work with 3.5Mb/s

My brother is getting his home phone disconnected and getting a mobile broadband dongle, but then he do not use the net that much, so may work out cheaper for him. He is only on ADSL at the moment as well.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 08:08:42
Print Post

And you cannot even say that Plusnet gives you a decent billing system for phones either. My biggest complaint when I used their landline was that the call details is sent across at least 24 hours afterwards and Plusnet remove any details of calls to 0800 numbers so hard to get records for when you called someone after the event.

I have never used the home phone since I had plusnet, i still have my SIP phone that I had when I was on wireless broadband, so I still use that, not that I use it that often, but people know the number.

I did get a couple of calls on the plusnet number when I first had it, told them to go away as this was a new number and not in the phone directory, heard nothing since. Oh yeah, Plusnet phoned me twice on it when I first started trying to get me to take out their Plusnet TV service.

Billing have been fine for me because it is a fixed price since I do not use the phone.
As been said above, 0800 numbers are not on bills, well not home phones anyway.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 08:09:26
Print Post

[re: iannewson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iannewson:
Currnetly paying £9.99 a month for just ADSL (no line rental) but cant see a reference for any price increase for that? am I reading it wrong?

Are you paying line rental with a different provider?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Tue 28-Jun-16 08:51:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
TBH, the price is disgusting, but since it is BT that puts the base price of line rental up the rest have to follow, this is the problem with having a private company running the phone network.

No, BT Wholesale line rental price (that plusnet pay) has fallen, not risen. Plusnet just increase prices because they can.
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 09:56:24
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

If I accept the new "speed" changes does, that start a new contract?

My existing contract expires January 2017 and I am wondering if it is better hanging-on until then and see if "retentions" will offer a deal to stay.

Looks like we all could be in for torrid times with price increases across the board over the next few years from many service companies.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-16 09:58:55
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
I am waiting to see if I can downgrade from 80/20 to 55/10 as that will make a big change to the retention argument

It will be interesting to see if PN still offer retention deals worth considering after September's price increases.

plusnet user
Standard User stickywicket
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 11:44:55
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I recently renewed from 20/40 to 1.9/40. This is purely billing and, for existing customers, there is no change to either sync rate (20/80 in my case) nor rate caps. Talk to tech to confirm.

I suspect it might be actually applied for new circuits however.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jun-16 12:21:03
Print Post

[re: stickywicket] [link to this post]

There is no way that is correct. It could be that your service is simply a reverse cockup. What does a BT Wholesale Performance Test Further Diagnostics show as both your down and up IP Profiles? (Ignore the red instructions). What does your Plusnet Current line speed say?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:05:01
Print Post

I host at home so it was a point I pursued in detail. From a billing persepctive, Ts&Cs etc, yes 1.9Mbps upload only. However since the product was a direct replacement, there was no IP profile regrade as part of he switch, 100% billing only. Confirmed with tech too that the change would not trigger and profile re-grade. The circuit continued to provide about 17Mbps true upload performance after the change.
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:12:13
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Oh I wondered why the 0800 number weren't there.

BTW I don't use Plusnet for phone line services now so that's not an issue anymore. My VOIP system does record all the data for me now though. And in real time. smile

Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:18:07
Print Post

[re: Fairoaks] [link to this post]

As Plusnet are moving all 40/20 clients to 52/9.4, I doubt you can refuse nor can Plusnet claim it is a new contract as they are going to make that change regardless.
And as the price will stay the same, you do not have any financial detriment either to allow for exiting the contract without penalty.
Maybe Plusnet would let you leave without penalty out of the kindness of their heart if the change is not agreeable to you?
When you get the email that's the time to phone them.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:31:24
Print Post

As Plusnet are moving all 40/20 clients to 52/9.4, I doubt you can refuse nor can Plusnet claim it is a new contract as they are going to make that change regardless.
And as the price will stay the same, you do not have any financial detriment either to allow for exiting the contract without penalty.

You're saying Plusnet can half the customer's upload speed and hold them to their minimum term?

Oliver.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:42:42
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

They aren't.

A copy of the email being sent out can be found here

Edited by IanBB (Tue 28-Jun-16 13:43:10)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:50:47
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Yeah I thought as much, they have to allow customers to leave.

Oliver.
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 13:55:39
Print Post

Maybe Plusnet would let you leave without penalty out of the kindness of their heart if the change is not agreeable to you?
When you get the email that's the time to phone them.

I am quite happy with Plusnet but, don't want want to agree to a new contract if I accept the new speeds.

As you say I will wait until I receive the email from them and then call.
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 14:56:11
Print Post

If you're close enough to the cabinet you can still go for the full-speed 20/80.
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Tue 28-Jun-16 15:23:16
Print Post

This is on The Plusnet forum for those in the 40/20 move to 52/9, If you don't want to change we'll let you go without penatly from HarryB.

It is being treated as detrimental to the customers

Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Tue 28-Jun-16 15:25:57
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I did say financially detrimental, I wasn't sure that any other cause would be allowed. But thankfully it is as been noted by others here.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jun-16 16:01:11
Print Post

They can only be talking about legacy 40/20 customers who have re-contracted as part of retention deal, as the product was removed from sale on 16 June 2015. Anyone who hasn't done such a deal can leave anyway.

If on a cheap retention deal, does it make sense to leave if the higher upload is not important to the particular individual? Other than those wanting out for other reasons and this is just a GOOGF card.

Edit - Ah, I hadn't thought of Line Rental Saver people not on a retention deal.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Jun-16 16:02:00)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 16:05:45
Print Post

The good thing about it though is that it's cheap, reliable and you have a wide choice of equipment from a variety of manufacturers that you can attach to it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 16:38:14
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
No, BT Wholesale line rental price (that plusnet pay) has fallen, not risen. Plusnet just increase prices because they can.

Sounds about right. the problem is we have little choice in this country unless we live in a cable area. The company I used before I came onto Fibre have now decided to give up broadband, no doubt due to the fact that BT have expanded FTTC top places where they would never have done if public money was not put into it.

Typical country, put money into a large company like BT, but not into a smaller company.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 16:43:13
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
The good thing about it though is that it's cheap, reliable and you have a wide choice of equipment from a variety of manufacturers that you can attach to it.

Cheap, really? £18 a month just for some cable and a bit of Equipment going and £15 a month for acess to broadband, that is not cheap. Reliable it is not, those so called cables are years old, the one that is hanging from my house to the pole should have been replaced years ago, but BT will not do it, maybe we do not pay them enough.

Time for BT to be split up, but our government do not have the guts,. I wonder how many ion government have got shares in BT.

Hate BT, too big and should have been split up years ago and stop putting public money in it to make more people directors, CEO and shareholders rich.,
Someone called it bloated toad, they are right

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User iannewson
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 18:56:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by iannewson:

Are you paying line rental with a different provider?

Yes I am
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-16 21:00:46
Print Post

The 'base price' as you call it, is around £7, not near £20 - Nothing but highway robbery, proven by suppliers that charge as low as £6 for line rental!
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 12:10:07
Print Post

I got the email today and can leave if I let them know within 30 days as of today.

I looked briefly around to see what was on offer and BT have an offer for 12 months - with free sport; SSE are offering a cheap 76mb deal for 18 months.

I have no gripe with Plusnet so I think I will wait until January 2017 and see what they can offer me to renew. If they put the price up a great deal then, I will seriously consider going elsewhere.
Standard User hxbro
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-16 12:57:03
Print Post

I was due to move shortly, was hoping to keep 40/20 but it's not going to happen.

Anyone know of any other 40/20 ISPs ?
Standard User hxbro
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-16 13:27:40
Print Post

[re: hxbro] [link to this post]

Well, a quick phone call and that's dealt with now on 80/20 for same price, but had to agree on new contract, but they've waived new router, connection fees etc for the house move
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jun-16 13:27:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fairoaks:
I got the email today and can leave if I let them know within 30 days as of today.

What day is your normal billing date?
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 13:31:40
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:

What day is your normal billing date?

21st of the month.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 13:57:56
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
The 'base price' as you call it, is around £7, not near £20 - Nothing but highway robbery, proven by suppliers that charge as low as £6 for line rental!

Yep, a total rip off.

I have had an email from Plusnet, they are not going to put the price up of my broadband, they are rising the price of line rental, I can still keep my free evening and weekend calls, that I never use, they are reducing the upload speed I never got what I should be getting anyway and giving me a higher download speed, which I also can not get.
So I will be paying £1 a month more. Still not happy with it to be honest as I feel we pay more than enough for line rental.

They also said I could leave with no exit charge, but since I only have just over a month to go anyway and have to give them 30 days notice i will stick it out until then and have a look around to see what is available.

They also advertised their You view service on the email that they sent me to say their service is decreasing and they are putting the price up. What ever happens i am not going to enter into another contract with Plusnet. It was against my better judgement to go with them in the first place, I only went as they was the cheapest and the quickest way to get onto FTTC apart from Talk Talk and no way would I ever go with Talk Talk.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 15:35:30
Print Post

I spoke to Plusnet today and they were not prepared to offer anything at the moment.

They offered 76/20 at an extra £5.00 per month.

I cancelled my BT mobile contract a few months ago and they were trying to persuade me to transfer phone/fibre. I rang them back and asked what they could offer -£29.98 - but, they wanted an £49.95 activation fee even though I was already on fibre. BT are offering £100.00 reward card so I would be getting back £50.05 at the end of the day.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jun-16 15:39:26
Print Post

You don't need to renew anything. You just revert to monthly contract. Simples.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 17:52:43
Print Post

I spoke to Plusnet today and they were not prepared to offer anything at the moment.

They offered 76/20 at an extra £5.00 per month.

I cancelled my BT mobile contract a few months ago and they were trying to persuade me to transfer phone/fibre. I rang them back and asked what they could offer -£29.98 - but, they wanted an £49.95 activation fee even though I was already on fibre. BT are offering £100.00 reward card so I would be getting back £50.05 at the end of the day.

That is another scam, the set up fee, when the last provider I was with charge me £50, i got something for it, I had a module that was put on my roof and wired in, they was on the roof in pouring rain and thunder. I can understand the providers charging something for connection on the first connection, certainly when I first came onto FTTC as they fitted a new faceplate, and set up the modem. Now with self install, all they have to do is get someone to go to the box and muck around with some cables and fibre. £15 connection fee is more than enough.
I do understand this is a BTOR fee and not a provider fee, just shows that we the public keeps getting ripped time and time again. Also this fee stops people from changing that often as it would cost them more than they save.

Companies think we are thick and we can't see though it, the problem is there is very little we can do.

BT are pretty expensive and anyway I do not think I can cope with BT indian call centres again and i did tell them when I left they can stuff their service where the sun don't shine.
I know Plusnet is owned by Bt, but at least they are separate.

Thing is who do you go for?

choice is not that great and all the large providers are more or less the same price and suffer from naff customer service. you go for a smaller provider and yes customer service may be better, but the service itself is no different, it is still on naff BT network and you pay more for the same.

Which ever way you look at it we are screwed and normally are.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 17:53:36
Print Post

You don't need to renew anything. You just revert to monthly contract. Simples.

i am not going to renew anything, I will keep things as they are and look for a different provider.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 18:14:07
Print Post

I can understand the providers charging something for connection on the first connection, certainly when I first came onto FTTC as they fitted a new faceplate, and set up the modem. Now with self install, all they have to do is get someone to go to the box and muck around with some cables and fibre. £15 connection fee is more than enough.

If you are migrating a existing live FTTC service (like for like, same product and address )
BT OR charge providers £11 = Vat for this and haven't charged £50 since Dec 2014

And they do not hold the provider to a 12mth min term contract either if the customer has had an active FTTC service for 12months already

So Plusnet are taking the urine on both contract length and set up fee , That's due to all these offers for new customers

Also there is no engineering work required at the street cab for ( like for like )FTTC migrations

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 29-Jun-16 18:19:40)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 19:08:19
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

So Plusnet are taking the urine on both contract length and set up fee , That's due to all these offers for new customers

Also there is no engineering work required at the street cab for ( like for like )FTTC migrations
It was BT who wanted to charge a £49.95 activation fee if Fairoaks were to move to them from Plusnet.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-16 19:42:16
Print Post

Cheap, really?
Yes. Of course we don't know what the UK telecoms landscape would be like if BT had never been spun off but we can make reasonable assumptions based on the known performance of the Post Office. It would be more expensive. We'd probably still be in the middle of an ADSL roll-out and we'd have a limited choice of routers available to us that we have to rent.

Left in the hands of a government agency it would be an expensive, underperforming and out-dated service. They always are.

But even if you refuse to compare against a hypothetical scenario the truth is that UK broadband is still some of the cheapest in the world.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2013/03/12/broadband-prices/

The way CPs are pulling everything into Line Rental is irritating but in practice doesn't really mean much. It's unlikely it would make much difference even they chose to break the charges down in a more reasonable way. CPs are not making money hand over fist. Most are struggle to make a profit which is multi-play is so popular.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 29-Jun-16 19:44:58)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-16 20:51:23
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:

It was BT who wanted to charge a £49.95 activation fee if Fairoaks were to move to them from Plusnet.
And they are just as bad, Plusnet do charge a £50 installation fee, for non installation unless you allow them to rip you off on the line rental and calls
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Wed 29-Jun-16 21:22:59
Print Post

They call it an 'Activation' fee. Quidco cashback more than covered it for me.
Standard User jb66
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-16 08:50:41
Print Post

You would be crazy not to leave. You can get £100 gift card from BT and a better infinity 1 speed
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jun-16 11:04:00
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Yes. Of course we don't know what the UK telecoms landscape would be like if BT had never been spun off but we can make reasonable assumptions based on the known performance of the Post Office. It would be more expensive. We'd probably still be in the middle of an ADSL roll-out and we'd have a limited choice of routers available to us that we have to rent.

Left in the hands of a government agency it would be an expensive, underperforming and out-dated service. They always are.

But even if you refuse to compare against a hypothetical scenario the truth is that UK broadband is still some of the cheapest in the world.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2013/03/12/broadband-prices/

The way CPs are pulling everything into Line Rental is irritating but in practice doesn't really mean much. It's unlikely it would make much difference even they chose to break the charges down in a more reasonable way. CPs are not making money hand over fist. Most are struggle to make a profit which is multi-play is so popular.

We really don't know where we would be if the telecom market was not privatised, it may have been better. The problem is line rental keeps going up and yet we get nothing for it and it is not like we we can choose another provider, ok we can, but the prices are more or less the same. The other problem is most broadband providers will not allow customers to take just broadband and then have a look at prices of line rental form other companies and the ones that do decides to up the prices.
Plusnet, one of the few that do allow you have just broadband is £17.49 a month for their lower speed FTTC without line rental, £15 more or less if you have line rental. so to save anything if I went onto their FTTC only service I have to find someone who have line rental below £14,50, which is more or less impossible.

Who one earth allowed this you must have our line rental if you want our broadband anyway?
It is like going into Tescos and they saying, if you buy bread from here you have to buy our butter to go with it.
Even with energy we can choose to have separate gas and electric, sure you may get a better deal if you have it from the same company, I say may, because not always. I know of someone who got their energy from two different companies and save money,, but you need to through a lot to get it and a lot of research. i looked at it, but it would cost me more.

It would be nice to have more of a choice, there is very little to choose to be honest between all the large providers, they all use the same network and they are more or less the same price. i think it is bull that they struggle to make a profit, if it was that bad they would close. I presume Sky started broadband because they thought it would bring more people to Sky and yes no doubt companies do use other services to try and get people to use their broadband network, but they are still making a profit out of broadband, if they think we are using too much bandwidth then they need to change their pricing options.

I really must send a email to Vodafone talking about multiplay and tell them to stop bugging me about their broadband.

Oh yes, just as a edit and after thought, 18 month contracts are too long, they also need to be reduced.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC

Edited by zyborg47 (Thu 30-Jun-16 11:06:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Jun-16 12:14:04
Print Post

... so to save anything if I went onto their FTTC only service I have to find someone who have line rental below £14,50, which is more or less impossible..
Pulse8Broadband £13, or £6 in some bundles. Plusnet FTTC runs fine on it. All their phone and broadband contracts are monthly, though they have a higher joining charge for joining on FTTC as people were taking advantage and leaving after a month following free activation. The FTTC prices include compulsory line rental, the ADSLx ones don't. Whether you can have ADSLx from them with line rental elsewhere I don't know.

Aquiss £13. I don't think you have to take their broadband, but easy enough to ask them. All their phone contracts are monthly as well.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Jun-16 16:07:54)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jun-16 13:36:00
Print Post

The main start of having to have phone and broadband together was LLU. It was cheaper for LLU suppliers if they unbundled both parts of the line so they could do better deals. Many other companies then jumped on it in order to better control things.

If they switched it so that you just paid a single amount that gave you broadband (and the phone line needed to run it) people wouldn't complain so much about it - it is only because it is split out and the feeling you get "nothing" for line rental that causes the big angst. What you get for line rental is the fault management of the physical medium, connection to services in the exchange and the ability to make and receive calls.

The costs are most likely going up because the call revenues are going down - with Internet and mobile call revenues are significantly down on what they used to be. If all the ISPs were making massive profits then there would be an argument but in general they aren't so whether they increase the charge for line rental or for broadband is largely irrelevant.

There is something of a cartel feel when it comes to line rental charges but I suspect it is that the ISPs would charge a lot me if they could get away with it but are keeping them down to the same as their competition - and so once one moves they all move (well, nearly all).
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jun-16 15:08:55
Print Post

Aquiss £13. I don't think you have to take their broadband, but easy enough to ask them.

Nope, you don't have to take our broadband. We have a large and growing customer base that just use our landline services, keeping broadband elsewhere.

Details of our phone services can be found http://www.aquiss.net/phone_line_rental.php

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User musical_uk
(regular) Fri 01-Jul-16 12:01:53
Print Post

I was on 40/20 for £10 with line rental via line rental saver. I've got static IP and host and use VPN.

I rang to cancel as I didn't want my upload halved. My line only supports about 60Mbps down.

I'm now on 76/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra for £10 per month for the entire term of a two year contract.

When I left BT ages ago they forgot to remove my BT Sport which I still get free of charge.

Very pleased with this result.
Standard User Fairoaks
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-16 13:00:07
Print Post

[re: musical_uk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by musical_uk:
I was on 40/20 for £10 with line rental via line rental saver. I've got static IP and host and use VPN.

I rang to cancel as I didn't want my upload halved. My line only supports about 60Mbps down.

I'm now on 76/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra for £10 per month for the entire term of a two year contract.

When I left BT ages ago they forgot to remove my BT Sport which I still get free of charge.

Very pleased with this result.

You have done well.

Plusnet offered me nothing.

The new speed changes start in August so, I will see how I get on.

My contract expires in January 2017 so I will check again for any deals and move-on if necessary.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-16 13:02:25
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IanBB:
They call it an 'Activation' fee. Quidco cashback more than covered it for me.
still a rip off how can something that is already active be activated?

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 01-Jul-16 13:03:16)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-16 19:49:33
Print Post

That's odd - I'm just getting redirected to the splash page when I click that - and I logged in and tried again - still the same.

Is it only for fibre customers, by any chance, so PN has deduced it doesn't affect me?

If not, any chance of a summary?

Edit: OK, scrub that. I did find it under "Price Guide for Residential Customers", but still not at your link.

So basically, line rental rises by £1 a month? They may not have included me, because I'm on LRS 'til December. I assume, as in the past, it won't affect me until the time comes to renew.

I will presumably still get hit by the 50p increase for the evening & weekend call plan, though.

Edited by TLM (Fri 01-Jul-16 20:38:58)

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Fri 01-Jul-16 19:54:45
Print Post

They offered me nothing as well, they really couldn't seem less bothered that I called to talk about leaving.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Fri 01-Jul-16 21:03:18
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

The link shows the main page and this paragraph

"Our prices are changing
Our monthly line rental price will be £17.99 from 1st September 2016. We’re making changes to some other prices and products, find out everything you need to know."

if you click the words "everything you need to know", it will goto the details.

BTW the link that I've used is the same link that those words use, but does different things if used externally to the Plusnet site than when clicked while at the site.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Jul-16 21:35:54
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
They offered me nothing as well, they really couldn't seem less bothered that I called to talk about leaving.
As I remember it, the retentions people (Customer Options team) each have a monthly allocation of give-aways to help them reach their target.

Depending on who you speak to you may find a better offering on a subsequent call. Calling at the end of the month they had probably all run out.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 01-Jul-16 21:37:02)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-16 23:00:02
Print Post

I got there eventually - just a roundabout way, I think. It must be what you say about the link behaving differently, depending whether you're already on their site or not.

I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't for the life of me know what I'm already paying - although I knew it's "not much". Checking my product details, I see I have a legacy product with free evenings and weekends already included, so I don't know how, if at all, the price hike on that will affect me - unless or until I want to change products.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Fri 01-Jul-16 23:50:29
Print Post

Called this evening and had little joy. One women I spoke to said I've just got back from holiday and it was in fact a previous customer who told her about the change! She also said the 80mb product was having it's upload changed to 10mbps, it was then I realised she truly had no idea.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Jul-16 23:58:11
Print Post

Incredible.

Fear of this sort of thing after they dismantled the CS system a year or so ago is what made me leave. Then earlier this year things seemed to calm down. Now they seem to be falling apart again, with no-one on front line having a clue.

I was wondering round about March/April of coming back, but that is way out of the window now.

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sat 02-Jul-16 08:30:53
Print Post

Yeah I was pretty shocked. I asked to speak to a manager or just someone who was informed which she took great offence from. She said she'd chat with a colleague to catch up and then relay that info to me.

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jul-16 08:48:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
I got there eventually - just a roundabout way, I think. It must be what you say about the link behaving differently, depending whether you're already on their site or not.

I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't for the life of me know what I'm already paying - although I knew it's "not much". Checking my product details, I see I have a legacy product with free evenings and weekends already included, so I don't know how, if at all, the price hike on that will affect me - unless or until I want to change products.

You may on what I am on, if you are on Fibre, I am on the lower package, at the time which was unlimited broadband, free evening and weekend calls, 38Mb/s up and 20 down or something like that. Pay about £31 a month at the moment. If so then they will just put line rental up by a squid, and stick stick you onto a 52Mb/s down and 9Mb/s up.

Not going to make much difference to me apart from the £1 a month extra as I can not get to 38, never mind 52 and yet I used to, and I never got to 20 Mb/s. Never use the free calls anyway, I have not even used the phone since I been with plusnet.

But I have been thinking about going else where anyway.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sat 02-Jul-16 13:35:21
Print Post

I'm not on fibre - I'm still on ADSL. It's OK for my needs, as I'm not a big gamer or downloader, and don't watch many movies. It seems OK for iPlayer, although I did have problems with it last night, saying: "insufficient bandwidth", but that's just a coincidence, and not a regular occurrence. Usually, things play OK.

I've got the old product, Broadband Unlimited, at £9.99 p.m. plus an extra £1 for 1471 (at least I think that's what it was for - that or caller display). Evenings & Weekends is shown as a selected add-on, but at a net cost of £0.00.

Of course, all that's exclusive of line rental (prepaid up until December with LRS), and actual call charges outside evenings and weekends - which are typically minimal.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 13:55:15
Print Post

My parents got email from PN about price rise but I still not getting any email yet from PN, I have phoned them up and they say the email been sent to me, but still no email inbox or spam folder. They cannot discuss with me unless I have a genuine email from PN with service ID number on the email before do anything about it. I asked them to resent email to me but they say NO, once it sent they will not sent it again!

Fuming and angry!

Has anyone else got email from PN yet about price rise. My parents got email on 20th July. Mine is nothing yet. I been checked plusnet webmail, nothing there yet. frown

Edited by adslmax (Sun 24-Jul-16 13:58:07)

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jul-16 15:06:33
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Mine came on July 15th.

Only been with them 7 weeks, very disappointed with a fault ticket being ignored until I put it on the Community Forum.

Steve
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sun 24-Jul-16 15:12:42
Print Post

Yep. 13th July mine arrived.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Jul-16 15:14:47
Print Post

Maybe they like you as a customer so haven't sent you an email and you'll carry on paying the current price.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User georgelnx
(regular) Sun 24-Jul-16 16:25:19
Print Post

You should have a copy of the email in your Plusnet Portal support tickets. Goto https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search (login required) and search for closed tickets within a date range (use the last 2 months)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 16:27:44
Print Post

Thanks for this, found it via ticket!

You're a star! ****
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 18:52:56
Print Post

Plusnet have agree a new deal with a new 18 months contract with the following offer below:

Your offer details are below:

Generic discount (18 months) - £6.50
Unlimited Fibre Extra - Market 2/3 (Subscription) discount (18 months) - £12.50

A breakdown of your monthly bill is as follows:

Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband service: £7.49 per month for 18 months then £19.99 per month thereafter
Line rental: £0 per month for 12 months (already paid LRS £185.88)
Anytime Call plan: £0 per month for 18 months
Total £7.49 per month on a new 18 month contract

So, overall pleased with this offer with free of charge anytime call plan for 18 months with Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband £7.49 for 18 months. With a saving of £342 over 18 months.

With a further discount of referral scheme of £6.50 mean I only pay for line rental, anytime call plan and fibre broadband 80/20 for just £0.99 per month direct debit for 12 months then £18.98 a further six months remaining unless renewal LRS.

Thank Plusnet for a great bargain saving!
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 20:00:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Thank Plusnet for a great bargain saving!

And, once again, Plusnet goes from being the worst company in the world to the best. Watch this space! smile

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64000/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 21:07:26
Print Post

Not bad given you can't have run the full 18 months of your last discount period.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jul-16 21:09:00
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Better than nothing eh? smile Can't complaint more. No other isp's can't match my offer!

Edited by adslmax (Sun 24-Jul-16 21:10:09)

Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sun 24-Jul-16 22:08:36
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Different deals for different customers time and time again. Why trust a company who insist they're doing all possible for you when you know it's rubbish.

3rd example I've seen this week of someone getting a deal that's "impossible" according to the options team

Plus Net - 40/20
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Jul-16 22:14:51
Print Post

3rd example I've seen this week of someone getting a deal that's "impossible" according to the options team
AIUI all members of the Options team have a monthly budget of giveaways to retain customers. Ring once, or twice, or thrice, and on the 24th of the month you may get someone who has exhausted their budget and playing hard, or someone who has conserved it and needs to get some retentions quickly.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 24-Jul-16 22:15:40)

Standard User martinsq
(member) Sun 24-Jul-16 23:41:39
Print Post

AIUI all members of the Options team have a monthly budget of giveaways to retain customers. Ring once, or twice, or thrice, and on the 24th of the month you may get someone who has exhausted their budget and playing hard, or someone who has conserved it and needs to get some retentions quickly.

Might as well run it as a lottery, give everyone same chance, rather then give preference to persistent 'negotiators'......
Note to self: phone the blighters AGAIN !!!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 00:04:08
Print Post

Better than nothing eh? smile Can't complaint more. No other isp's can't match my offer!
Quite a few don't really care max, because they would sooner have a decent service than what is offered by plusnet , but you aren't really paying for a service are you so don't really have a right to complain when things go belly up which they will do if they are giving things away, but still you have saved some money eh?

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 25-Jul-16 00:05:11)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 00:08:15
Print Post

It's always nice to have all these great bargain saving. Don't think BT Wholesale and BT Openreach willing like this. but, afterall, it Plusnet ISP, the cheaper bargain! I had no problem with my fibre lately. smile So, BT will never get any gained profits off me. The same goes with SKY who offered me a great bargain deal for full package on SKY TV, Sports, Movies, Family with HD pack and multiscreen for £26 a month for 12 months.

Edited by adslmax (Mon 25-Jul-16 00:10:24)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-16 07:51:46
Print Post

That is why broadband is awful in this country, people keep asking for discounts so no money to go to expansion. We need lower prices, but mainly for line rental and across the board, not give a few people large discounts.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-16 07:54:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Quite a few don't really care max, because they would sooner have a decent service than what is offered by plusnet , but you aren't really paying for a service are you so don't really have a right to complain when things go belly up which they will do if they are giving things away, but still you have saved some money eh?

The problem is if you go for one of the larger providers they are more or less the same, i have heard the same complaints from people who are on Plusnet, ee, Sky, BT, more of them from Talk Talk, but that is maybe because I know more people who was on Talk Talk.
If you want decent customer service then best to go for one of the smaller providers, the problem is the broadband service itself may not be any better and yet you end up paying a lot more.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-16 08:37:08
Print Post

OMG!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 11:36:30
Print Post

I just took the liberty of sharing this with Money Saving Expert so that others can benefit.

If they're happy losing money on you indefinitely they should be fine doing it with everyone else. smile
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Mon 25-Jul-16 12:03:39
Print Post

Ring once, or twice, or thrice, and on the 24th of the month you may get someone who has exhausted their budget and playing hard, or someone who has conserved it and needs to get some retentions quickly.

This is the issue, it's basically luck of the draw on targets. I'd rather deals be deals and that's it. If they can offer a deal to new customers, they can offer it to renewing ones. Let it be the price is the price, not what the agent was feeling that day, otherwise everyone else is just picking up the tab.

Plus Net - 40/20
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 25-Jul-16 15:24:44
Print Post

I been checked plusnet webmail, nothing there yet.

The email address on your account with us isn't a Plusnet one. You'll need to check your 3rd party email address. The email was sent to you on the 21st July.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 17:42:16
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Yes I got the email it was under spam folder. Thanks Chris Parr
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-16 12:40:48
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
I been checked plusnet webmail, nothing there yet.

The email address on your account with us isn't a Plusnet one. You'll need to check your 3rd party email address. The email was sent to you on the 21st July.

Maybe you should give him more discounts as an apology, Chris.

Wouldn't want to risk making some profit on him through him paying anything like full price at any point.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 26-Jul-16 12:42:15)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to