User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-16 20:08:38
Print Post

Openreach & PN are in breach of contract over FTTC

[link to this post]

Yesterday, a very long story. My parents have complaint that their FTTC service 80/20 was not working, went downtime 10am all day yesterday until I come over to their house to investigate of what going is on. I can see the fibre router DSL light was flashing on/off. I switch off router wait for 30 minutes, turn back on, the same DSL light was flashing on/off. So, I went upstair via my parents pc and logged in of the router and found out myself that under VDSL2 was blank, no sync rate at all. So, I went back downstair and checking DSL cable from telephone line to the router as everything was fine. So, I try master socket and reconnect router, same thing, no sync rate at all. I went back home and try to think what was caused the VDSL2 loss of service, looged onto plusnet service status, checking exchange status, nothing was reported. So, I try to bring my spare unlocked openreach modem to test it just in case if their router is faulty. I put openreach modem on and connect via laptop using ethernet and logged onto modem stats, bingo, the problem of VDSL2 was not working because of shocked to my own eyes 'WHAT THE HELL GOING ON? - it was connected to ADSL2+'. So, I switch off the modem and go back to router and change setting from VDSL2 mode to ADSL2+ mode and it now connected as 13 Meg downstream and 445kbps upstream. My parents spoken to Plusnet this morning (broadband fault team) they apology as it was incorrect ADSL2+ from FTTC as they blamed on openreach engineer could be at the cabinet mistaken put my parents line to ADSL2+ without premission.

My parents never asked or downgrade on the product as their FTTC 80/20 still under contract. Cannot believe how on earth this has happen to my parents and now the fault team have placed an order to put it back on the correct product 80/20 from ADSL2+ but it will take 7 working days to completed.

Openreach blamed on PN but PN blamed on Openreach. I do feel Openreach engineer have no rights to put my parents line on ADSL2+ without their knowedge and without premission. Who are to blame?

I feel Openreach & Plusnet are in breach of contract against FTTC loss.

Never happen before at Plusnet. This is the first time I am shocked to learn from this. Without openreach modem, I wouldn't be able to find out what was wrong and why is no FTTC sync cos it removed it off.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-16 11:54:39
Print Post

Re: Openreach & PN are in breach of contract over FTTC

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Openreach screwed something up, Plusnet is resolving it through the usual channels (where did you get the information that Openreach was blaming Plusnet?). It's a shame it may take 7 days to fix it but once it is fixed, Plusnet will compensate for the time on ADSL I'm sure. If they don't offer, ask, but wait until it's fixed, no point in getting het up about it.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64000/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-16 12:08:57
Print Post

It sounds like the FTTC jumpering at the PCP might have been mistakenly removed from your parents' line rather than the line that was supposed to be unjumpered.

The usual practice is not to remove the exchange jumpering to the DSLAM on an ADSL(2+) upgrade to FTTC, as there is no need - the filtering in the FTTC cabinet stops the exchange DSLAM from interfering. The jumpering will be removed if the exchange DSLAM port is needed for another customer. If the FTTC jumpering has been mistakenly removed, the exchange DSLAM port might still be active, hence the ability to connect to ADSL2+.

I strongly suggest not going down the "breach of contract" route at this stage, especially as you will likely turn a simple error into a scenario where every party acts defensively in the expectation of receiving a Letter Before Claim, rather than concentrating on sorting out the problem. You will also open up debate about what the actual financial loss is (the basis of contractual damages) considering that there is a functional but low speed service and that your parents are contractually entitled to a pro-rata credit under section 13 of the Plusnet terms and conditions.

I urge you to co-operate with Plusnet, so that they can work with Openreach to sort out the problem as quickly as possible.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-16 12:42:55
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Sadly the order will be completed in 25th July say bt
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-16 13:05:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
I strongly suggest not going down the "breach of contract" route at this stage,

I urge you to co-operate with Plusnet, so that they can work with Openreach to sort out the problem as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, adslmax is an either/or person. Either the service is entirely brilliant, or the sky has fallen in. Nothing inbetween. No room for mistakes or errors. No understanding that the contract includes terms for when things go wrong, either.

As a consequence, he's either blissfully happy, or suing the pants off suppliers.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-16 14:03:12
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

On the basis that an order to reconnect VDSL is required rather than a fault/repair request, I would suggest that an order to return the line to ADSL/ disconnect VDSL originated from somewhere, rather than a random disconnect in error by an engineer.It's unlikely (perhaps not impossible) that it originated within Openreach.A moot point really
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-16 14:16:02
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
On the basis that an order to reconnect VDSL is required rather than a fault/repair request, I would suggest that an order to return the line to ADSL/ disconnect VDSL originated from somewhere, rather than a random disconnect in error by an engineer.It's unlikely (perhaps not impossible) that it originated within Openreach.A moot point really

A mistaken order seems more plausible in the circumstances than a mistaken removal of the FTTC jumpers by the engineer. As you say, it's a moot point, really - the important thing is to take the necessary steps to restore FTTC.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 13-Jul-16 15:15:34
Print Post

The last time this was reported happening on these forums wasn't long ago, and the cabinet was full. (I don't remember the ISP, just the problem). The unfortunate punter had to wait a while in the queue waiting for ports to come available. Seemingly not even being able to jump it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-16 15:45:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Sadly the order will be completed in 25th July say bt
As it's more likely that plusnet are responsible for this , they should be getting it expedited

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 13-Jul-16 15:46:28)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-16 17:52:14
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

A letter is now on the way to openreach chief to suing BT for compensation & complaints for engineer mistake removed FTTC on my parents line and not happy to wait until July 25th to reconnect it back. (But plusnet say there is no gaurantee if the port is available at the cabinet on the day July 25th)

Edited by adslmax (Wed 13-Jul-16 17:52:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to