User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 15:44:35
Print Post

Slow 5Ghz speed.

[link to this post]

I have also posted this on plusnet's forum but so far nothing, hopefully I can get more help here smile

I got a nice shiny Hub One and everything is fine apart from transfers over the 5Ghz network.

I can't get anymore than around 14MB/s (120Mbps ish?) which is way below what it should be capable of.

I have confirmed it is using 5Ghz as I disabled 2.4Ghz just to be sure, I also made sure no other access points in the area, I checked its set at the highest rate (1300Mbps) and the card in the machine is capable of 867Mbps. (Network status on the machine shows it is actually connected at 867Mbps)

Copying from one machine to another seems to produce a slow rate, one machine is on the gigabit wired and confirmed to be running at gigabit as I get at least 100MB/s if I use wire to both machines.

The only thing I have noticed when I am copying is there is a very high pitched squeal coming from the router which goes after the transfer completes, is it broken and need replacing already ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Jul-16 16:51:48
Print Post

Re: Slow 5Ghz speed.

[re: Tylexon] [link to this post]

Router should be silent, so suggests something is getting hot and stressed and may be about to fail, so yes report as faulty and get swapped.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 22-Jul-16 17:23:52
Print Post

There have been a couple of reports on the Plusnet forum of noise from the Hub One and I believe it has also been raised on the BT forums (the Hub One basically being a 5a version of the BT Hub). The common factor being the router under load whilst using the 5Ghz band.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 17:53:32
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

So would the power supply possibly cause the low performance in the 5Ghz network? or is it just a noise issue
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 22-Jul-16 18:24:15
Print Post

Here's one thread on the Plusnet forum found by searching for noise!

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-one-make...
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 18:58:23
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Yes! that is exactly it blush

But would this cause the lack of speed on the 5Ghz ? as I can put up with the noise if its not related to the performance..
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-16 19:14:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tylexon:
I can't get anymore than around 14MB/s (120Mbps ish?) which is way below what it should be capable of.

I have confirmed it is using 5Ghz as I disabled 2.4Ghz just to be sure, I also made sure no other access points in the area, I checked its set at the highest rate (1300Mbps) and the card in the machine is capable of 867Mbps. (Network status on the machine shows it is actually connected at 867Mbps)
how is the 'card' in the computer connected.
when I used 802.11ac, on a bt hub5/dongle its speed was limited by the usb2 speed of the dongle. (ok about twice what you get) - but it was reporting the full link speed.
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 21:33:31
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

The card is in a laptop so it's internal PCIe. actual model of card is a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jul-16 21:36:37
Print Post

The hub does make sounds, all HH5As do if you have a lot of traffic passing through and listen up close.

Have you rebooted - I find mine slows down as the days pass and it is online.

Luckily I am with BT so switched over to the Smart Hub.
Standard User Tylexon
(newbie) Fri 22-Jul-16 22:06:25
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I have rebooted it a few times, the noise persists which I don't have a major problem with, the 5Ghz speed is what I have more problem with... even tried sitting in front of it to test the speed and no different...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to