User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User georgelnx
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-16 12:28:10
Print Post

The 40/20 >> 55/10 on 1 Aug

[link to this post]

Just a heads up that the change has not gone without issues. SOme users are reporting that the upstream speed has decreased to 10Mbps but the downstream speed is still limited by Plusnet Line Speed to under 40Mbps.
Advice on what to do by HarryB 55/10 Not gone smoothly

Standard User Axolotl
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-16 10:45:30
Print Post

Re: The 40/20 >> 55/10 on 1 Aug

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Yes, I have been caught in that trap.

My upload dropped from c. 12.5 Mbps throughput to 9.3, and my download is stubbornly stuck at 37.3 with a max attainable from BT Wholesale speedtester of 46.86.

PN telephone support yesterday first cut me off after 15 minutes, then on second call said they were aware and the problem would be fixed in 4 hours (i.e. c. 16.00) and i should reboot my router.

Today, no fix, support first told me the change wasn't due to happen until next month (!). When challenged, they admitted it was and they were confusing it with the price changes.

Now the fix for the 55/10 capping problem is not due to be fixed for another 24 hours, or possibly 48.

I'll just await events.

Not especially happy at the moment.

Cheers,

Axolotl
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Fri 02-Sep-16 12:26:19
Print Post

[re: Axolotl] [link to this post]

My 40/20 was changed to 55/10 sometime in August. Don't know when as it all went smoothly. TBB speed test gives about 53/9.5 which is fine. The odd thing is that it is still sync'ed at 80/20. I thought the reason for moving from 40/20 to 55/10 was to save PN the cost of buying 80/20 and throttling it to 40/20.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Fri 02-Sep-16 18:03:08
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

I believe the plan is to move everyone - but they are doing it in batches that may take some time.

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User georgelnx
(regular) Fri 02-Sep-16 19:18:12
Print Post

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

The secret squirrel that Plusnet have become forget to mention that on 1st August all the 40/20 lines would just have their speeds fixed to simulate 55/10 but all the lines would stay at 80/20 for the time being. And at sometime in the future, the 80/20 circuit would be migrated to a 55/10 circuit, in we hope small controlled batches with due care and diligence being shown.
However given the mess that the new network is becoming, I would be worried if I was on 55/10 as to what will happen when the underlying circuit is switched.
After all the original plan to move everyone on 40/20 to 55/10 on 1 day didn't go to plan either and took a week or two to sort out.

Standard User bsod
(committed) Sun 04-Sep-16 22:01:15
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Seems a little silly that they have decided to throttle the speeds down until the actual circuit is switched!? It's not actually saving them money on wholesale cost and at the same time the subscriber is being punished by having their upload speed cut.

At one point they had it running at 38/10 which was pretty rubbish, given my upload used to be 19Mbps. In any case, I've had a downgrade on the connection and can't wait to leave Plusnet when my contract is up.

I was pretty satisfied with the service until they decided to do this, no doubt in aim of saving costs for themselves. But they seem to have hacked off quite a few people in the process, and it's very much a case of "we'll do you over" rather than "we'll do you proud".
  Print Thread

Jump to