User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 08-Aug-16 13:25:38
Print Post

Time to move on I think

[link to this post]

Over the last month my line has gone from
This
To this
Now to this

Plusnet aren't interested at all. No offer to do line checks. No attempt to explain why this has happened. Basically no interest at all.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Aug-16 13:49:22
Print Post

Re: Time to move on I think

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

The difference between your second and third links appears to be only the regular spikes. Plusnet have "always" had those on certain pathways through their gateways. As far as I know nobody has ever reported performance issues due to them.

The large jump between your first two, (I notice the base average latency at the start of the second is already considerably higher than that in the first), is a different question. I suspect the rise you aren't showing will be either interleaving kicking in for some reason or being swapped to the new network. A link to that might give a clue smile.

If you were on 40/20 the disconnections on your third will almost certainly be Plusnet trying to apply the new profiling to simulate 55/10. As a by-product making things worse wrt latency.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 08-Aug-16 15:05:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm on 80/20. The graphs were to illustrate how the connection has gone downhill over time, from a perfectly acceptable level. I understand latency is the time taken for packets to travel from my router, to Plusnet's servers. I would have thought they might be interested in why my latency has doubled.

I was wrong.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Aug-16 15:09:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by wingco1:
I'm on 80/20. The graphs were to illustrate how the connection has gone downhill over time, from a perfectly acceptable level. I understand latency is the time taken for packets to travel from my router, to Plusnet's servers. I would have thought they might be interested in why my latency has doubled.

Majority of the latency is caused in the physical copper wire from your router to ether the exchange or the green VDSL cabinet in the street. The green latency graph looks very similar on all three pictures you posted. The spikes look like a Samknows box in use. The red disconnects are more worrying. Your line looks fine, compare to a virgin media user for real problems. My realtime BQM in my sig.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Aug-16 15:19:57
Print Post

These are problematic BQMs

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/post-your-...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/post-your-...

Yours looks good to me. A very slight change which is probably down to a change of usage.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 08-Aug-16 15:48:44
Print Post

Might be down to exchange uptake.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 08-Aug-16 18:29:05
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

That puts things into perspective.

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 08-Aug-16 18:32:13
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Might be down to exchange uptake.
That's true. I used to get the full 75mbps when I first got VDSL with PN. Now get around 50mbps.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Aug-16 20:13:14
Print Post

Regarding the spikes in the last picture this is something which happens sometimes on FTTC for no obvious reason
I did raise it over at Kitz site and it appears to be just one of those things and not related specifically to Plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 08-Aug-16 21:06:07
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

See my BQM in my sig, on AAISP. It didn't do it at first when I moved to them.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to