User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ansam
(member) Wed 24-Aug-16 17:05:27
Print Post

How are plusnet

[link to this post]

I am thinking of moving from Sky to PlusNET due to the restrictions for using my own equipment at sky (I know there are workarounds) and a couple of other issues.

So how are plusNET?

Connection - Sky Fibre Pro 80/20.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Aug-16 20:29:49
Print Post

Re: How are plusnet

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

Why are you leaving other than the router issue?

Cheap ISP
Plusnet Forums have staff support

Steve
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Aug-16 22:36:56
Print Post

When you say "workarounds" I really think you are not being reasonable. Virtually all of the latest routers work fine on Sky, just historic ones do not. E.g. the new Netgears (past 18 months to 2 years) all have Sky Fibre as a drop down in the setup menus without any work around needed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(committed) Thu 25-Aug-16 07:26:23
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

Just left PlusNet, I would happily recommended and I would happily go back to them, once my contract with current ISP expires and the price can be beaten. BT TT Plusnet etc, I think they are all great.
Sky as well, when I was with them, the exchange went live with fibre ,however, they would not compete on fibre prices, so left. As others have said, using own kit was pretty easy and never had issues having own kit connected, personally believe it's just for customer service support. All that matters to me, is the cheap price and Plusnet offer that for new and returning customerswink

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-2015
Pension Advisor 2015-
I'm alright Jack....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4170529760.png

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Thu 25-Aug-16 07:28:51)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Aug-16 07:57:51
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Virtually all of the latest routers work fine on Sky

That may be true with combined modem/routers but you certainly cannot use any standalone router willy nilly on Sky. For example the latest high end Linksys routers don't support DHCP option 60/61 on stock firmware. If you want to use a standalone router with a xDSL modem on Sky your only option is to use an Asus with Merlin fw or a router with DD-WRT firmware, though the latter can be a right faff to install. Not 100% sure but i think Netgear might be the only brand which supports option 60/61 on stock fw.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Powered by Asus RT-AC5300
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 25-Aug-16 07:59:01)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-16 09:00:59
Print Post

They are the same as any other large provider to be honest, Customer service is a bit better than most, but apart from that they are ok.

I have had a few problems speed wise, but they did get BTOR out pretty quick when someone decided to dig into the ground around the cabinet and knocked some cables around.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Aug-16 10:34:57
Print Post

I am with BT not Plusnet, but as far as I am aware it's basically the same backhaul etc as BT, and the router you get is just a rebranded BT Homehub 5A. So the connection would be relatively the same.

I have never had any issues since I left Sky, to all intents and purposes my connection is more reliable than it was with Sky where the SR102 would reboot itself regularly and every so often Sky would have periods where it was fully connected and synced but there was no internet.

I have never had an actual network outage of any kind with BT or TalkTalk (my second line).

I would suggest looking at sky compatible routers but definitely do not be afraid to jump ship.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-16 12:33:29
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

not like Bt at all, i can understand the people on Plusnet customer service. I have seen the new plusnet router, not fond of it myself, like a lot of these routers these days, it stands up, I prefer them to lie down. one light on it,m so not easy to know what is connected and what is not. I suppose for most people they do not care, but I like to see if data is going though my network by flashing lights.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User jeggers
(newbie) Sun 28-Aug-16 22:06:56
Print Post

I've been with them for a couple of years and they have been OK ish, but ADSL speeds have gradually been dropping so I decided to investigate FTTC pricing and service.

This required me to experience the legendary (sic) customer service to get advice on how much data I had been using (this facility appears to have been broken on the customer portal for some time). Many phone calls and listening to the same boring music on hold, coupled with a minimum 24 month contract on FTTC just became too much. I have decided to move back to Zen (who I was with about 5 years ago). More expensive, shorter minimum contract, better customer service (so far, fingers crossed....). Hopefully I'll get what I pay for. Roll on Tuesday and hoping for a smooth transition.

I'd have been happy to stick with Plusnet except for the rotten Customer Service - I'd even be prepared to pay a few quid more for better Customer Service, but enough is enough...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 28-Aug-16 22:51:41
Print Post

[re: jeggers] [link to this post]

Main FTTC page. 18-month contracts. (Still ridiculous).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to