User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnclarke12
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-16 12:41:30
Print Post

PlusNet Service Issues

[link to this post]

I have been experiencing frequent drop outs of my connectivity over the last two weeks and I have changed the router, micro-filter and everything is plugged into the test socket therefore is connected directly to the line yet it continues to drop out. PlusNet want to send an engineer to investigate from the house but what is the point as it seems the problem is external to my home. Has anyone else being experiencing similar issues?
Standard User NBK
(experienced) Thu 01-Sep-16 14:07:54
Print Post

Re: PlusNet Service Issues

[re: johnclarke12] [link to this post]

To be fair when the engineer comes to your house and connect to your socket they can run tests from there to see exactly where the fault is (or a rough idea), even if it's external to your house (i.e. a fault on the drop wire or pole)

Currently Plusnet "80/20" FTTC
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-16 14:41:17
Print Post

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

OK thanks, I suspect it is in the cabinet though as it is coincidental that there was an OR engineer working in it prior to the drop outs starting.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Sep-16 15:20:53
Print Post

So you are on FTTC?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-16 17:01:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No just on ADSL, I have been putting off moving to FTTC as my house is for sale but that is not happening very quickly but the poor service is becoming frustrating.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-16 17:52:12
Print Post

It is very standard to send an engineer out to your house so do not be concerned there.

When the engineer arrives ensure you are using the master socket, and if possible the test socket, to demonstrate you have tried all the logical things in your property. This will result in the engineer looking externally for the issue.

Let them know you have tried several routers as well. Fingers crossed the engineer resolves the issues first time around smile
Standard User merlin617
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-16 17:59:29
Print Post

[re: NBK] [link to this post]

Had the same experience for the last month, I am also on ADSL2
Standard User knicol46
(learned) Thu 01-Sep-16 18:50:07
Print Post

I was paying the full contract cost for Plusnet to supply myself with fibre broadband but the router was faulty and was after the minimum contract term. After spending 30+ minutes waiting time for customer services to answer the phone (we will do you proud they claim) yet the salesline answered in 30 seconds - was annoyed at having to pay for a service I could not receive with PlusNet only offering to send a free replacement router if I signed up to new 18 month contract.

I told them I get 20+ daily junk calls to my landline, they wanted a fee if I wanted to have my number changed and a further monthly fee to display the callers number.

They were not doing me proud so changed provider - new provider gives caller display at no extra cost and offered to renumber myself at no extra cost. On the day of transfer the online account was immediately cancelled without notice so unable to access a final bill or to delete any final info.

I see PlusNet going downhill with so many customers joining but the customer service issues getting worse.
Standard User merlin617
(newbie) Tue 13-Sep-16 19:04:00
Print Post

[re: knicol46] [link to this post]

Plusnet say 17mb down is correct (ping is 30 , jitter 1) but my line length is 430 mitres (house is 140 mitres physically from the exchange) as far as I know that should get full ADSL2+ speed.

Here are the stats:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 19.667

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10,8 / 0,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3,1 / 8,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16,0 / 9,3

I have asked them endlessly for 6 weeks to lower the SNR, they claim the request with BT goes in and yet its not happening.

As far as they are concerned its all good and i should not expect the 21 down 1.1 up ping of 10 and low jitter. that i have had for the last 8 years !

Anyone that knows this stuff care to comment ?
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-16 03:20:26
Print Post

I still get problems accessing certain websites e.g. Photobucket but in general my Plusnet connection seems to work OK.

Not bothered to phone them recently, but I see from other posts the call waiting time hasn't improved much. frown

Difficult to know what to do, but I shall probably change provider when my contract is up. There seems to be no insentive to stay with an ISP these days.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
  Print Thread

Jump to