User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(member) Thu 15-Sep-16 15:10:27
Print Post

Help regards switchover

[link to this post]

My contract with BT completes on the 7th of October (this date inclusive). I want to switch to Plusnet on the 8th.. day after my contract ends. However after going onto plusnets site the only days available or switchover are the 7th or 10th of October as the 8-9th are over the weekend. Pain. If I choose the 7th I am technically ending my contract early so am assuming BT will impose so extortionate penalty?? If I choose the 10th I will either have to cancel my BT contract on 7th ? causing reconnection problems. Or paying any extra month in charges to BT? Can anyone advise what is likely to happen?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 15:25:11
Print Post

Re: Help regards switchover

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

I think you'll find you have to give 30 days notice anyway so earliest your "contract" will end is 14/10. Inevitably you end up paying 2 suppliers during migrations because it is very difficult to get new connection on the same date as your notice period ends.

You are not "out of contract" you are merely out of your minimum term. You are still in contract and still need to give the contracted notice period to terminate.
(member) Thu 15-Sep-16 15:41:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I thought I had a twelve month contract that I assumed then rolled on monthly if I allowed it to continue. I thought the 30 day cancellation period was for mid contract cancellation only. My BT contract is to jump to £66/month on 7th of October as I have BT sport and a whole lot of other stuff for free. I didn't watch one single thing on BT Sport the entire 12month contract and switched the youview box on about twice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 15-Sep-16 16:13:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Just found this on BT website

"Exceptions to the 30-day minimum notice period
If you're switching to another provider through the standard process (you contact your new service provider and they notify us), the notice period will be 14 days."

So by swithcing to Plusnet officially reduces the 30day period to 14. I guess this is why the first date I can switch on the plusnet site is the 29/9/16.. 14days from now. This leaves me back to my first problem. I want to switch on the 8th. Not the 7th or 10th.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 16:30:06
Print Post

I don't think Plusnet take account of other ISPs Ts&Cs but it could be a happy coincidence. That is better than the default 30 days.

As far as switch date the 8/10 is a Saturday and therefore not a day that BT do customer migrations - I believe they are only available on weekdays hence your issue.

PS - if you cancel your contract with PlusNet then it could leave you with weeks of downtime - reconnecting after a cancellation can be very time consuming. Your best move will be to do the move on 10/10 and pay for 2 or 3 days at the new rate.

Edited by ian72 (Thu 15-Sep-16 16:32:47)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 16:35:53
Print Post

BT will refund any unused days already paid for after the migration date. Don't migrate before your minimum term ends.

Oliver.
(member) Thu 15-Sep-16 16:47:34
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Would this include refunding the remaining month of BT sport cost?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 16:58:00
Print Post

I would imagine so but you should check with them to make sure.

Oliver.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-16 19:29:18
Print Post

You may find this thread informative; and avoid trying to do too much-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4495900-a...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 21:08:11
Print Post

It is really basic.

You just get the new ISP to take over AFTER the contract end date.

You do not contact BT what-so-ever.

When Plusnet takes over, the BT account will be closed automatically without you speaking with BT. BT will refund any charges overpaid, so you only pay the dates up to the migration.

30 days notice usually applies, sometimes 14 days.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to