User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(member) Sun 25-Sep-16 22:08:32
Print Post

Plusnet Moden/Router or my own

[link to this post]

I'm soon to switch to Plusnet for Fibre BB. I have a new modem/router I would like to use. Should I use it at the outset of switchover or should I use the one Plusnet sends me and after the 10 day test period switch it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Sep-16 23:46:29
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Moden/Router or my own

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

FTTC has no 10 day test period, the line will usually see the major changes after the first 24 hours but lots of errors/fiddling at any time can force the DLM to react.

If this is first time on FTTC or switching away from an LLU then probably best to use supplied kit initially to avoid ISP support blaming your kit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ripcord
(committed) Mon 26-Sep-16 02:58:54
Print Post

the plusnet supplied one will be total [censored], if it works at all! use your own one if it compatible with fttc (has a wan port)

Edited by Ripcord (Mon 26-Sep-16 02:59:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 06:45:35
Print Post

[re: Ripcord] [link to this post]

When I first got fibre the Plusnet kit was pretty horrible. A separate VDSL modem and a router with poor wifi. I bought my own in the end.

A friend has just moved to PN 80/20 fibre. the current PN modem/router is the BT Home Hub 5, rebadged to Plusnet. A neat unit that works just fine.They happen to have a good line so the sync speed was around 78/19 and has stayed that way. Download speed using the TBB tester was poor at the very start but within a few hours settled at a very acceptable 72/17.

The only gripe so far is that you can't see the line statistics. If checking for problems it would be nice to see SNR, attenuation and error rate.

Edited by ppppenguin99 (Mon 26-Sep-16 06:46:16)

(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 08:48:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This will be my third switch on FTTC. BT, Plusnet, BT and now back to Plusnet. Reason for switching is contract runs out and the deal becomes so much better if I switch. Currently using BT HH5 but it seems to drop out a quite a bit. Never did when it was connected via the openreach (white box) modem. It got fried and so I went to just HH5 modem/router. I knew the Plusnet router was to be HH5 so I bought an ASUS ac68u.
Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:07:05
Print Post

I've used Hub One since switching to fibre at New Year.

Has been perfectly stable and no problems with 2.4 or 5Ghz wi-fi

Software has recently updated

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 21/09/16
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:30:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speedchaser:
ASUS ac68u.

If that doesn't have VDSL support you will need to get another VDSL modem, perhaps an old openreach one from ebay. I have an AC68U with the openreach VDSL modem, works well on plusnet.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-16 09:43:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

If it is the DSL-AC68U it will have VDSL modem, but some have reported less than stellar performance from the modem side, whereas the router is the great normal Asus standard.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Sep-16 10:09:55
Print Post

[re: Ripcord] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ripcord:
the plusnet supplied one will be total [censored], if it works at all! use your own one if it compatible with fttc (has a wan port)
A wan port isn't much use without a modem .... wink

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 11:20:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes I have the DSL version so it has a modem built in. So am I better to start off with the Plusnet HH5 and then switch? Or am I better to try and start off with the inteneded router? Second question, was the ASUS router performance problems you cite related to high speeds. My FTTC speed is only 7MBS.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to