User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Tue 01-Nov-16 21:39:47
Print Post

Download Speeds dropped IP Profile Unchanged

[link to this post]

I'm in need of some advice please guys. I'm well out of touch with BB and FTTC and all things surrounding it....

So my download speeds dropped down from the maximum 80/20 that I've had for as long as I've had FTTC both with Plusnet for the last 2 years and before that with ADSL24/Coms or whatever they were called to 69Mbps the other week. Now its dropped again today/yesterday down to 66Mbps and yet still my IP Profile is 74...

Something isn't right as its like an artificial cap or something as what ever I do I can't get a higher speed. This is on all devices. PC via Ethernet to my router and mobile devices on WiFi.

Running a stock HG612 and Asus RT N66U with Merlin FW - same setup for the last couple of years, nothing has changed here.

I am debating hard resetting my router and maybe trying the stock Asus FW, but I'm hesitant as I don't want to cause any more issues.

BTW test results: http://i.imgur.com/Qdg6F6l.jpg

Spoke to PN the other week and they said call if it drops again as they can't do much as it is. :mad:

I did try and call this evening but a 30 min wait? Nope. Will be calling them again in the morning.

No noise on the line and about 150m from the cab. Any ideas people? Please!? blush

Cheers.

Edit:
Pinging www.google.co.uk [172.217.23.3] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.23.3: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.23.3: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.23.3: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=56
Reply from 172.217.23.3: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 172.217.23.3:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 7ms
No change to pings.

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - FTTC Plusnet Unlimited Fibre - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM

Edited by Cruncher (Tue 01-Nov-16 21:45:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Nov-16 22:50:54
Print Post

Re: Download Speeds dropped IP Profile Unchanged

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

I think it highly likely it is to do with the problems many customers are experiencing on Plusnet as they are transferred to the "new improved" network which is supposed to solve the difficulties a few experienced on the old one.

Other's may be able to expand on that. I got out a year ago.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Nov-16 22:58:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Could also be simply crosstalk as take up increases. Without an unlocked HG612 no stats.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 02-Nov-16 09:11:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think it highly likely it is to do with the problems many customers are experiencing on Plusnet as they are transferred to the "new improved" network which is supposed to solve the difficulties a few experienced on the old one.

Other's may be able to expand on that. I got out a year ago.
Ah last time I saw/read anything about that it was just affecting new customers. I'm on a static IP, 212.xxx.xxx.xxx - Thought I was unaffected.

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Could also be simply crosstalk as take up increases. Without an unlocked HG612 no stats.
That was something I'd considered. What would I be looking for to tell me it would be crosstalk?

Wouldn't that be more gradual or would it cause a couple of quick drops like that?

Anyway, I rebooted everything last night and its gone back up to 69Mbps, I'm starting to think its their network...

OT: these forums really need an update!

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - FTTC Plusnet Unlimited Fibre - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM

Edited by Cruncher (Wed 02-Nov-16 09:12:19)

Print Thread

Jump to