User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:29:09
Print Post

Tut Tut!

[link to this post]

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/11/ofcom-u...

Naughty of them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:51:52
Print Post

Re: Tut Tut!

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

"At this point itís very important to highlight that Plusnet initiated the investigation itself, as opposed to waiting for Ofcom to uncover it through customer complaints. Very few operators have been quite that open and honest with the regulator in this way, so credit where credit is due".

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 15:11:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
"At this point itís very important to highlight that Plusnet initiated the investigation itself, as opposed to waiting for Ofcom to uncover it through customer complaints. Very few operators have been quite that open and honest with the regulator in this way, so credit where credit is due".

I recall in 2008 when there was a DPA breach of a few tens of thousand of customers, there was no such willingness to be open and honest then. Members of staff raised the issue to those higher up at the time. And even then there was little action taken for a while.

Maybe being part of BT they can not do so anymore?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Nov-16 15:28:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Or maybe after 8 years they have just changed. Companies do, you know. Just like people change. 8 years is a long time in any business and especially those in a fast paced industry like internet provision.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 16:07:08
Print Post

I recall in 2008 [...]

The purchase was announced at the end of 2006, and went through early 2007.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-16 16:25:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe they knew someone affected was very upset and had made it known they were going to report them to OFCOM and Plusnet thought they had better get in first!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Mon 28-Nov-16 17:00:53
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I recall in 2008 [...]

The purchase was announced at the end of 2006, and went through early 2007.

That's odd. I recall the briefing about PN being bought by BT didn't happen until late 2008. There was no sniff of a take over for most of late 2007 into about Setpember 2008.

Maybe my memory is not in tune with wikipedia, a website that can be edited by anyone and therefore is 100% accurate, vs. my own experience of being staff there at the time!?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Nov-16 17:03:29
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

That thought did occur to me. Otherwise it was a very odd thing to do.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-16 01:23:44
Print Post

That's odd. I recall the briefing about PN being bought by BT didn't happen until late 2008. There was no sniff of a take over for most of late 2007 into about Setpember 2008.

Maybe my memory is not in tune with wikipedia, a website that can be edited by anyone and therefore is 100% accurate, vs. my own experience of being staff there at the time!?

I couldn't possibly comment about the state of your memory, but if Wikipedia has it wrong, then it is one amongst many.

Industry websites seem to agree - eg telecoms.com, the register, the panel on takeovers and mergers, and the FT.

Even Plusnet's user group forum talks about the dismissal of Lee Strafford in March 2007.

The best thing, of course, is to rely on the horse's mouth:
http://www.plus.net/features/news/plans2007.shtml
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Nov-16 02:33:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Extract of still awaited (though frequently repeated over the years) promises, broken ones, and product withdrawals rather than forecast improvements from WWWombat's link moved from here to this post in jelv's thread about why he left Plusnet.

I have added my own reasons as well.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15329kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 29-Nov-16 13:45:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to