User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dalryc
(regular) Sat 31-Dec-16 10:34:43
Print Post

Better Modem Than PlusNet Hub One

[link to this post]

I'm some distance from the cabinet for FTTC and getting the absolute minimum from the estimated speed - 3.9Mbps. Previously on ADSL, I was getting 3.7Mbps sync.
Accordingly, Plusnet have advised that it is operating within spec.

You can guess I'm not happy with the 0.2Mbps speed increase.

I've tried the Plusnet supplied microfilter over my own BT vDSL Interstitial Faceplate and that dropped me to 3.1Mbps. That makes me think hardware changes can make a big impact.

Is there any better VDSL modem or microfilter out there rather than the Plusnet supplied ones for marginal areas? I don't need wireless or USB connectivity.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 31-Dec-16 10:45:34
Print Post

Re: Better Modem Than PlusNet Hub One

[re: dalryc] [link to this post]

You could try matching the modem chipset to the cabinet DSLAM. Do you know if your cabinet is Huawei or ECI? Method to find out here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Dec-16 10:47:43
Print Post

There are people who will get the same or even slower from VDSL2 than they did from ADSL, so while you can try combinations of hardware you might not get anywhere.

What was the point of sale estimate given by PlusNet? Fully understand that paying extra to get a 0.2 Mbps download increase is not great.

Using a TP-Link W9970 at £34.19 via http://amzn.to/2iA91yk and its stable, but not seen anyone on a very long line give it a go. Does support vectoring and G.INP and while the wireless is basic you can turn it off.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mml
(learned) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:10:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by dalryc:
I'm <...> getting the absolute minimum from the estimated speed - 3.9Mbps.
<...>
I've tried the Plusnet supplied microfilter over my own BT vDSL Interstitial Faceplate and that dropped me to 3.1Mbps.

1. Put the microfilter back and allow the speed to drop to 3.1
2. After a few days, phone Plusnet and complain the speed is now below their estimate. Don't tell them what you did.
3. There is a clause in their contract that allows you to leave their contract early if a) your actual speed is substantially below their estimate and b) you followed their instructions and it didn't lead to an increase. Then you can go back to ADSL.
There is, of course, the other option, where they send an engineer out to your house and he'll find a fault of some sort. Still a win-win situation.
Standard User dalryc
(regular) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:35:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Iíve been waiting for FTTC for years Ė didnít realise you could get lower speeds than just copper. I ordered it on the day that it was commissioned.

I donít recall the point of sale estimate but BTís figures (quoted by PlusNet are between 7.1 and 3.9. BTís estimated figures for my ADSL line were nearly half of what I was getting. I will definitely give that TP-Link a shout.

My Plusnet Hub one canít be telnetíed to and Iím afraid I canít locate the cabinet Ė the only ones that I know are very old looking. I did take a quick drive out today but itís chucking it down. Iíll take a walk out in the area and further hunt it down when better weather. Itís on Clynder Cabinet 2 Ė wherever that is.

Iíve have thought about the complaint option. However, PlusNet did fix a stuck IP profile which has given me an extra 1.1Mbps back and my up speed (which I donít use) has more than double. For £6 extra a month, Iíll grin and bear it.
Standard User dalryc
(regular) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:45:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I worked out that it's a Huawei from the link that you posted.
Does that change things in any way?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:45:58
Print Post

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0228826,-4.815695,...

Cabinet 2, image from 2011 so obviously no VDSL2 twin present.

Exchange is ADSL only, so IP Profile system on that is a lot worse than VDSL2, so it may be worth sticking it out on the VDSL2, plus at peak times more capacity.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:46:36
Print Post

The TP-Link is Broadcom based so matches neatly with Huawei

Standard User dalryc
(regular) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:48:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Good news about the chipset match - it's already ordered.
Standard User dalryc
(member) Sat 31-Dec-16 11:53:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - I didn't look there today.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to