User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Jan-17 10:02:54
Print Post

Re: got a plusnet sim

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Things seems ok with plusnet mobile, still a naf signal at my mates place and at work, but that happens with what ever network I use.
I have now got my pac from Vodafone, they done me some offers, but all more expensive than what plusnet is and stick me into another 12 month contract.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Feb-17 18:54:33
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Mobile network providers can supply a "network" device that you plug into an Internet connection that allows a local mobile phone signal boost. We have requested these boxes in a few locations and they fixed the issue. You have to pay for the internet access though.

IanD
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 16-Feb-17 19:06:03
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

No need for a box on Vodafone, you can use wifi-calling instead of 3G/4G

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-17 22:58:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure you can do that on plusnet too. My wife got a SIM this week and I enabled wifi calling without any problems.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Feb-17 23:16:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No need for a box on Vodafone, you can use wifi-calling instead of 3G/4G

EE did this first in 2016, with iPhone 5c and later handsets, and a collection of Androids with EE firmware, and the service does both SMS and voice.

Vodafone were late 2016 and only support iPhone 6s and later, and a very limited set of Androids. They only support voice, no SMS.

Three launched this very recently and are the same as EE.

O2 don't yet support.

This of course is different to O2 and Three's apps, or Vodafone's SureSignal 'box' (femtocell) offering that plugs into a power socket and ethernet cable to your router and provides a 3G signal.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 5th Feb 17: 57,821/9,173 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-17 11:44:42
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

> Kr1s69
> I'm pretty sure you can do that on plusnet too. My wife got a SIM this week and I enabled wifi calling
> without any problems.

Kris,
WiFi Calling may well be enabled on the phone that uses the plusnet mobile network, but does it work using the Network. I understood this wasn't possible yet. (it doesn't on mine frown I have the plusnet monthly contract and an EE purchased phone)

Or do you mean your Broadband Network is Plusnet but your Phone is on a different network.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plusnet Fibre 80/20 Netgear DGND4000 and Netgear DM200
Plusnet customer since 2002
Plusnet Mobile since 2017

Edited by watsonm (Tue 21-Feb-17 11:55:49)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Feb-17 21:43:22
Print Post

[re: watsonm] [link to this post]

Hi,
our broadband is via BT but you're right we've not been able to test it yet - the signal hadn't dropped low enough with wifi available to see if actually works.

I figured the fact it enabled without error (on Vodafone if the service isn't available it'll fail when you try to enable it) meant it would work.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 22-Feb-17 09:41:55
Print Post

I find if I turn off mobile data on the phone then it starts to use wifi calling
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Feb-17 20:06:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
our broadband is via BT but you're right we've not been able to test it yet - the signal hadn't dropped low enough with wifi available to see if actually works.

On EE if WiFi calling is enabled and you are in WiFi coverage (without a firewall blocking) then you will see "EE WiFi Call" on iPhones and similar on Androids. Even with good coverage.

Vodafone and Three have it set up so that you have to lose cellular signal before WiFi calling kicks in, but EE have it set up to always take the calls (and SMS) over WiFi. This reduces load on the cellular network.

I don't think PlusNet offer WiFi calling - your phone may let you turn on the option, but unless you see "WiFi call" after the network name, or equivalent, it is likely just an option that is ignored.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 5th Feb 17: 57,821/9,173 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User sills
(member) Wed 22-Feb-17 20:26:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Vodafone and Three have it set up so that you have to lose cellular signal before WiFi calling kicks in

I don't know about Vodafone, but on my iPhone on Three you don't have to lose signal entirely, Wifi calling kicks in when you have around 2 bars of signal.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to