User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ASP
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-17 17:36:36
Print Post

Beware: Plusnet Will Take Advantage Of You If Vulnerable

[link to this post]

On Christmas Eve myself and my kids were made homeless by my wife. We are all victims of domestic abuse. In Jan I called Plusnet to cancel my account and was told that I could put it on hold for two weeks then transfer to a new house if I found one. I managed to secure accomodation and rang them within two weeks. Plusnet kindly said that they would transfer me and find me a better price.

What they failed to say is that they did not make me aware of what packages were available and signed me up to a 24 month contract that costs more than the shorter ones. Only got connected today and managed to see the messages on my account. I am in rented accomodation and would not sign up to a two year contract., Nice to see a company with a social conscience happy to take advantage of the vulnerable. Would love to complain but the phone line does not work and the waiting time, ringing by mobile, is over 20 minutes.

Thank you Plusnet.....

Best regards

ASP
PlusNet 80/20
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-17 17:39:57
Print Post

Re: Beware: Plusnet Will Take Advantage Of You If Vulnerable

[re: ASP] [link to this post]

sadly many contracts are not compatible with short assured tenancies and as such you just have to hope things work out. frown

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-17 17:59:33
Print Post

One bright spot on the horizon is you'll be able to leave your 2 year contract for free as soon as Plusnet put the price up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 01-Feb-17 19:31:56
Print Post

Not a happy tale frown, starting no doubt before Dec 25. Commiserations.

Wrt the phone line it is probable that will be working tomorrow, so at least you may be able to see about getting it sorted out. I think it more likely a script-monkey has done this rather than a deliberate policy to screw you.

Is it a FTTC, FTTP or ADSL2+ connection? I ask because they do have a monthly ADSL2+ contract at the bottom of this page, if that's any use to you.

I also suggest that if you haven't posted on the Community Forums, you do so. If they still have an Accounts one it may be the best place.

Best wishes.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 01-Feb-17 19:35:11)

Standard User Mml
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-17 21:00:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by ASP:
What they failed to say is that they did not make me aware of what packages were available and signed me up to a 24 month contract that costs more than the shorter ones.

By law, they were obliged to make it clear. If they didn't, the contract is not in force.
I suggest you do not phone them yourself. Seek help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau and have them contact plusnet by phone and by letter. That will force them to take your case seriously - if you were to call them, they might as well ignore your complaints.
And, btw, onus is on them to prove they did tell you over the phone that the contract was 24 months long, and that you said yes. They record all calls, so shouldn't be an issue for them to find and listen to that recording.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 11:00:28
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
I suggest you do not phone them yourself. Seek help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau and have them contact plusnet by phone and by letter. That will force them to take your case seriously - if you were to call them, they might as well ignore your complaints.

That is not good advice. You should always try to contact the company first before involving a third party like CAB.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66997/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RogN
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Feb-17 11:00:37
Print Post

I believe Pnet would take a blind man's dinner and toss him for the plate.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-17 11:10:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Likely that advice from CAB might be to contact PlusNet and highlight that the contract term was not made clear and might have changed customers decision making process if it had been brought to their attention.

So I'd say, that what was given was reasonable advice, i.e. seek help from those trained in these consumer rights matters. The danger of contacting a firm when you are not 100% and have some backup that you are right is clever sales patter may make you back down, and given the situation here support from people is very important.

Contacting CAB is very different from going down the full legal path, certainly would be extremely unlikely the first action from CAB will be to contact PlusNet, I would only imagine that happening once reasonable attempts at resolution via the consumer themselves had failed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Feb-17 11:13:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Likely that advice from CAB might be to contact PlusNet and highlight that the contract term was not made clear and might have changed customers decision making process if it had been brought to their attention.

That is fair enough, but I wouldn't expect CAB to actually make the first call, as was suggested.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 66997/19999 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RogN
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Feb-17 00:27:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

So I'd say, that what was given was reasonable advice, i.e. seek help from those trained in these consumer rights matters. The danger of contacting a firm when you are not 100% and have some backup that you are right is clever sales patter may make you back down, and given the situation here support from people is very important.

Contacting CAB is very different from going down the full legal path, certainly would be extremely unlikely the first action from CAB will be to contact PlusNet, I would only imagine that happening once reasonable attempts at resolution via the consumer themselves had failed.

I believe the CAB would be willing to ring Pnet on behalf of the customer or would help the customer write a letter. I do not believe they take up the matter as CAB, it would only be to be the voice of the customer. Though I think that saying who they were might get some reaction.

One problem would be that advisors get a limited time with a client and I am not sure they could get through the Pnet phone system within that time limit, it can take well over 30 minutes to get through just to talk to a front line person, who may only have been employed by Pnet a short time.

Good luck, whichever way you go to sort anything out with Pnet, they are a nightmare.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 17-Feb-17 15:13:56
Print Post

[re: RogN] [link to this post]

Having trained and volunteered with CAB for a while, I think each case would be taken on its merits.

They would undertake to enter into dialogue on behalf of a client if it was clear he or she lacked the skills to attempt this themselves - e.g. illiterate/learning difficulties.

However, as you mention, the advisors are pressed for time, so they are probably NOT going to take on letters and phone calls for someone who can clearly express themselves as well as the OP has here. They will give hints and tips about how to approach the dialogue - what to include, what not to include etc, but it's all about helping clients to help themselves, NOT taking over from people who have the wherewithal to do it themselves.

If the OP's own efforts failed, and he was clearly out of his depth, they might intervene to try to resolve things, but I think that would be last resort, not first resort.

He's clearly pretty competent to express himself, so I think they'll want some indication he's at least tried, before wading in.

Although many CAB volunteers have some sort of legal background (in my intake, about half did), they are nevertheless lay people, NOT authorised, regulated or insured to act in legal proceedings. They can advise clients about the practicalities of how to make a claim in the Small Claims Court (which does not usually require a solicitor), OR furnish a list of local solicitors for more complex or higher value cases.

The CAB does retain a few paid solicitors, but not very many - and these would mostly be for potentially landmark cases affecting a lot of people. If you go in off the street, with a minor consumer dispute, you're very unlikely to get the services of a qualified solicitor, and the advisor you get may or may not have any legal qualifications at all - it's not a prerequisite for working there - but they will know basic law about "common" situations.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to